• ...and so much more!
  • wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    Factory Nickel 5 screw pre-29 will have a "N" stamped on the side of grip frame and the rear cylinder face. Serial # should be in the range of S130000 to S167500 but could be as high as S174599. Four screw pre-29s range from S167500 to S184000. Not worth a five screw but still a high dollar revolver. Heck a good set of coke bottle grips can bring $500.
    I hate to show my ignorance, but what are coke grips?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I hate to show my ignorance, but what are coke grips?

Here's a picture with both grips. They are target grips, squeezed in the middle with a thumb rest on the left grip. Usually accompanied with a wider target trigger and adjustable rear sights.

pdw4FUU.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    There's no 629 stamping. Just the assembly number and 0 under it.

I'm thinking it's a pre model, first 2 years. He says 6" barrel, but probably didn't measure to the end. Don't know if it's pinned and recessed but I doubt it.

The 0 is just an inspection stamp. Info I need is 5 or 4 screw, barrel length, and stamp for factory nickel. I'm betting it's a later 4 screw. I haven't seen a pre model nickel to see if it's stamped, so we'll see if this is.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Let us know what you find, you have us as nervous as expecting fathers...

I work in a gfz so I'm relying on pictures. A truck gun here will get a call to Homeland Security, and actually got an otherwise decent guy fired. I'm interested in seeing more pictures and going from there.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    s&w factory nickeled revolvers have a "N" rollmarked on the back of the opened cyl. between chambers. My S series mod 57 w/cokes. Beside the coke bottle shape when end viewed, coke grips are oval shaped on the bottom.
    5LhY88x.jpg

rFos1Mv.jpg

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Post this on the S&W forum you might be looking at a S&W club gun .They had an O as a prefix to the S/N
    Quiet a collectable gun if so

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Update. He says it's a 5 screw. Believe barrel length is 6 1/2 if measured back to the cylinder. It has Coke grips. He thinks it's worth north of 3k and I would have to agree with him. He says he'll get more pictures.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Update. He says it's a 5 screw. Believe barrel length is 6 1/2 if measured back to the cylinder. It has Coke grips. He thinks it's worth north of 3k and I would have to agree with him. He says he'll get more pictures.

Rare bird if it’s got the “N” roll
    Mark and is factory nickel.

Would be interesting to see get a factory letter and see where it started out.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    Here's a picture with both grips. They are target grips, squeezed in the middle with a thumb rest on the left grip. Usually accompanied with a wider target trigger and adjustable rear sights.

pdw4FUU.jpg
    Thanks for the information. I'm taking for granted these are the target grips that came on the K and N frame guns. I didn't know they were called coke grips.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I might step away from the pre model. Another guy at work said the seller is taking it to Cabellas to have it priced, and my experience is Cabellas used guns are way overpriced.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I might step away from the pre model. Another guy at work said the seller is taking it to Cabellas to have it priced, and my experience is Cabellas used guns are way overpriced.

To have it priced, as in to have them make an offer on it? That may yield a price which you would be happy with as they may, like most shops, offer him a price that is far below street price.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If you are talking a nickel pre-29 5 screw in a correct presentation box, that is nice find!

Sorry, I picked up 629 reading the thread too quickly...

Sorry to lead you astray, OP had sparse info originally, I was spitballing.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I talked to him. He said Cabellas doesn't know what they're doing. Might have gave him a low price. I suggested he take it to 500 Guns. I've seen a lot of Smiths go through there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I talked to him. He said Cabellas doesn't know what they're doing. Might have gave him a low price. I suggested he take it to 500 Guns. I've seen a lot of Smiths go through there.

The owners at 500 guns are very good friends of mine. They are very solid as to their knowledge.

Top Bottom