• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    When I have to point a gun at myself because of stupid impossible to install accessories, I remove the slide.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You could also zip tie the gun for installation, like they do for carry at the gun shows.

I'm with Kirk though, don't consider putting it on in the first place. If the gun really needed that grip "improvement" it would have been designed in. These things are like fishing lures for shooters.

Eastside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I just put a brand new one on my g26. At first it was near impossible and was afraid I'd tear the sleeve. I googled and learned a few sprays of windex helps. Got it a 3rd of the way on then pulled hard and it slipped into place.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Golden Rule of safe GUN handling: ALWAYS keep GUNS pointed in a safe direction. Once POSITIVELY disabled and NO LONGER A FUNCTIONAL GUN, point it where you must to perform service.

Or as Rob Ski from AK Operators Union said (paraphrasing): "Now here's the weird part, looking down the bore... Make sure the chamber is empty or you will be facing a natural selection."

EDIT: If I was inspecting the bore on my AK I would drop the mag, clear the chamber (while checking the bolt face*), pull the dust cover, bolt and carrier first. Then (and only then) would I be comfortable looking down the pipe.

* is for you, Kirk ;)

Last edited:

Pin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So my dad bought a Hogue slip on grip sleeve for a couple pistols. I've never installed one of these but did read the instructions that basically advised it would be a PITA.
    After verifying the gun was clear and having him witness the gun was clear I got to work.
    I used a hair drier to help make the rubber grip more pliable but even then I had to wrestle that thing into place. In the process I know I swept myself, my dad and probably my mom. I pretty much turned that gun about every direction known to man.
    He has two more Hogue handall sleeves he wants me to install for him. Does anyone have a better way?

Better way, no slip on grip.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Our bike trick was hair spray. Work quickly before it dries.

Removal of bike grips was done with an air compressor tucked under the edge.

I've used hairspray on a couple of these grips. It lubricates while installing and helps keep the grip in place when it dries. I also pulled a clothes pin apart and used the wooden part for a pry tool.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    While I can appreciate the. No slip on grip mentality, in my opinion it was an improvement. The shield 45 grip texture is nice and actually one of the reasons I like it. However, it has quickly worn out too many shirts and well my fat roll needed some relief. Since I installed it I actually like the gun even better

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I may be called a reckless idiot but after you've checked the gun, especially in the context of doing gunsmith work on a firearm, I don't see the reason to freak out about the sweeping you mentioned. It's hard for me to believe any amount of gunsmithing wouldn't break the muzzle rules.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm with 1nderbeard. If you removed the magazine and visually checked the chamber for empty, you should be good to go. I always work on guns in the basement, mostly removing the likelihood of an AD in a direction that would endanger lives. Where do you dry fire? You do dry fire, don't you?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom