• Total voters

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    If I read the OP right. You had already left the store when they called to get you back to pay for it? If that was the case I would of kept walking, close my rewards card, and block the number.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Intent: If you have a "wild child" who can't keep his hands off of anything, then perhaps it's your fault. If he's generally well-behaved, then **** happens. The store should absorb the loss. I can't see any millennnial telling you "you broke it, you bought it".

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    IMHO, the transaction was over after you left the store. You brought it to their attention BEFORE leaving, and I assume would have paid at THAT point, if it was an issue. It wasn't, they "let" you go, and you left. End of transaction.

Personally, I would have simply paid for the mug. Sometimes stuff happens with kids. The $10 may be worth the "life ain't fair. You break it you buy it" lesson.

:yesway:

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    Breakage is part of doing business. The mugs and been placed in a poor location. You should not have been charged. I think this manager simply wanted to wield the vast power of the sword Gamestop placed in his hands. I believe stores like this rely on kids and young people like your son to stay in business. The older crowd buying for themselves in this store is probably slightly limited. They are responsible for any injuries in there store due to negligent safety practices. Placing breakables so close and unseen to other items is negligent. They are now aware of the potential for injury (ie someone stepping on broken glass) without an injured customer or the financial consequences.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Decades ago, our youngest brother stood up in his stroller while in a candy store in Estes Pk, CO, leaned against thin plate glass on the candy case and shattered it. Mind you we're talking about a small child, he wasn't a heavyweight. The store proprietor was livid and insisted our parents pay for the damage. Father especially was just as livid the store's ownership had chosen to use thin non tempered glass on the case front and his less than 2 yr old child had come so close to what could have been serious injury as result. When the situation reached impasse, Dad who had already sent the family out, basically told the man he could KHA and left. Guess I don't understand today's concept to acquiesce and expect satisfaction later.......

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Don't play video games, shoot BB guns in the back yard.... problem solved. Seriously the display was at fault, however I would be more concerned that they called you after you left the store.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I work Security at a Safeway Grocery Store .....

Everyday, someone breaks something .....

Even at the checkout, even if it is the CUSTOMERS FAULT,

The cashier, or Manager, says go get another one, at NO CHARGE

CUSTOMER SERVICE, is, still IMPORTANT .....

IT is NOT YOUR FAULT .....

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Let corporate know, but it won't do you any good. Not only did you pay for the mug (admitting guilt), but you went BACK to pay for the mug after leaving the store. If I'm an HR rep, all I see is you complaining about having to pay for something you broke. Whether it's right or wrong.

What I don't agree with is people in here saying "This is a valuable life lesson, and your kid should have to pay you back." No, quite the opposite. This is obviously a case of "crap happens", and based on the display itself, it was only a matter of time

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks guys. Given the results, its clear there are several ways to look at it.

I'll email HQ and update the thread when I hear back.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you son never touched the item would the mug have fell ?

If displayed appropriately and reasonably, No. Just like the dozens of times he has looked at (smaller) plushes in that exact same spot that were merchandised appropriately.

By that logic, If you hadnt been driving safely on that road (even though you took all appropriate and reasonable precautions), that drunk driver never would have hit you and injured you. ;)

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Your here asking so what do you hope to gain ? You already know the answer. It seems you want some validation or something. Your son should have been more careful when replacing said item . Obviously it was placed there previously without issue ? What changed from that time to this one. By that logic I saw the drunk driver leave the bar and put myself in a position where he could hit me . Lol

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Whatever your wife says is right. Always. Duh.

You told them about it, then left. In my eyes that's the end of the interaction. I wouldn't have returned to the store after a phone call...I wouldn't have answered the phone call from an unknown number. By returning to the store and paying for the item it seems you are "admitting" guilt.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Couple of thoughts....

1. The mug wouldn't have broken if your son hadn't touched the stuffed animal.
    2. The mugs are stacked way too high on the opposite top shelf, making it far too easy for a customer to accidentally break said mug.
    3. Given the planogram, anyone removing and replacing the plushie would have a good chance to break the mug, regardless of their age.
    4. Conclusion - Gamestop doesn't want you touching their ****.

I would have told the clerk to FATWO.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    When you first walked up to the counter with the broken mug in hand and offered the explanation, were you considering, even in the slightest, that they might ask you to pay for it? If so would you have paid for it or were you preparing your argument as to why you shouldn't have to pay for it?

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I would have picked up the broken mug, taken it to the register and paid for it. Regardless of how perilous the display was put together, it didn't just fall off the shelf. Kids break stuff all the time. I'm not saying the store didn't have the display set up poorly and I'm not inferring your child is to blame either. I've paid more than $10 because of something my boys have done that wasn't malicious but still caused property damage. Kinda just goes with the territory of being a parent.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Your here asking so what do you hope to gain ? You already know the answer. It seems you want some validation or something. Your son should have been more careful when replacing said item . Obviously it was placed there previously without issue ? What changed from that time to this one. By that logic I saw the drunk driver leave the bar and put myself in a position where he could hit me . Lol

Damn, who peed in your wheaties this AM? :): wait, you work there, dont you? :):

Top Bottom