• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My father-in-law finally got out his old shotguns to clean them up. I've convinced his daughter (my wife) to try shooting trap with me, and that finally got him moving!

One of them sounds interesting, and I hope to put a few shells through it this weekend and get some pics. It is an OLD Browning Auto-5 12-gauge. I managed to get a manufacture year from the serial number (109xxx) of 1931. It has a PolyChoke on it, that I doubt is original. I guess the wood is in great shape, and only one small rust spot. Everything else cleaned up nicely.

He bought it off a professional trap shooter back in 1953, and hunted with it for years. The rust spot came from a trip up to Minnesota in the late 50's, when they got snowed in and had to ship their guns back separate and fly out between blizzards. This thing put a lot of meat in the freezer over the years, and has busted its share of clays.

Anyway, if you know anything about these old Brownings, I'd love to hear it! Anything to watch out for? Parts that need replaced?

He might want it re-blued as well. Any recommendations in the Indy area?

He has on old Winchester 20-gauge that I want my wife to try. I'll get some info about it as well, but its a pretty plain-jane old gun.

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    I guess everyone has there own option, but the A 5 Browning is the hardest recoil shotgun I ever shot! I have owned 30-40 diff. shotguns threw the years, I wouldn't start my wife with the A5! I owned one for 20 mins., I bought it from a guy and while driving back to town I stopped to shoot it, my only reason for buying the A5 was to sale it, but after I shot it I wanted to sell it more!! The A5 is total mechical, so when you shoot it the barrel comes back into the reciever to eject the empty and loads a new one.
    This is only my :twocents:
    Greg

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    The first shotgun I hunted with was a 20 Ga. A-5 that my dad bought when he was 18. I was 10 the first time I took it out for doves, I never had a problem with the recoil, and with my more limited experience with the 12 Ga. A-5 I dont think the 12 kicks much either.

In regards to getting it reblued, I think that would as it would drecrease the value if the rust spot is small. Being that old, the gun was made in Belgium which greatly increases it's value. Just be careful of the forearm because if they arent put on correctly after cleaning, they can crack.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Art's gun shop.

He has done some work for me in the past. Top quality and top prices also.

He redid a couple of salt wood Browning's and took them for waisted to treasured.

Don't let nobody knock the old humpback auto-5. A pre 1964 is a piece of art you can shoot.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Had one...a very nice one long ago...another one I should have kept but it KICKED like a mule...got rid of it because I like pump vs SA.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I used to shoot my Dad's back in the early 80's when I was starting to hunt. I always thought the recoil on it was harsh back then. And I was also shooting pumps, which generally have more recoil. But, I haven't shot it in years so my memory could be bad.

I still remember the first time I shot it--at a pheasant in PA. I thought my shoulder had broken or something had gone wrong with the gun.

I wouldn't want to shoot trap all day with one.

But, they are beautiful and seem to last over time.

I, also, would probably vote against having it re-blued. Can you maybe get some 0000 steel wool and gun oil and get some of that rust off without damaging anything else?

KLL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    I have a Belgin made 12 from 1955 that shoots just fine I have never thought it kicked that bad, but I cut my teeth on an Ithaca M66 Supersingle 12. The only issue I have ever seen with the A5 is that it does not like to be dirty, keep it clean and it wont let you down. I think you might loose some value if you reblue,this is more a personal choice, do you plan to sell? If not,do what you feel is best.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is my father-in-law's. He will NEVER sell it, since it was the first shotgun he ever bought himself. I'm sure it will end up in my safe, eventually (his daughter is an only child).

I need to get my pics posted, so thanks for bringing this thread back up! I'll work on that later today. I don't think it really needs refinished. Cleaned and oiled may do the trick.

Now, his old Winchester pump 20 gauge? It needs stripped, blasted, and a thick coat of something! Age has not been kind to it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I must not be recoil sensitive. I've never noticed any excessive recoil out of my A-5 Brownings. I've got 3. Two belonged to my dad.
    I've hunted them for decades without noticing.
    My Ithaca 37 kicks my arse to the extremes though. I DO notice the recoil out of it. Good shooter though

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Can't go wrong with an A-5. I traded a savage 110 in 270 for 1 several years ago and the parts are easy to come by on egunparts.com. They are kinda pricy for the original stocks and so forth, but other parts are really reasonable. I love my A-5 12. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom