• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I was looking at my spare change jar just a little while ago out of boredom and found some old coins. I had found 4 penny's ranging from 1938 to 1956 and a dime from 1945. If only coins could speak I bet they would have some amazing stories to tell. And it is a little weird seeing Mercury on a dime instead of FDR.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I was looking at my spare change jar just a little while ago out of boredom and found some old coins. I had found 4 penny's ranging from 1938 to 1956 and a dime from 1945. If only coins could speak I bet they would have some amazing stories to tell. And it is a little weird seeing Mercury on a dime instead of FDR.

Yeah..they would say things like "My face has been rubbing on someone's balls for 50 years...help!"

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I enjoyed collecting coins when I was younger. Still have the collection and pick some up occasionally. Oldest is a 1884 Morgan silver dollar. Have others from all over the world, a square coin from Aruba, East African coin with a hole in the center from the '30s are the ones that stir my memory. Always grabbed wheat pennies whenever I saw them.

Last edited:

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I enjoyed collecting coins when I was younger. Still have the collection and pick some up occasionally. Oldest is a 1887 Morgan silver dollar. Have others from all over the world, a square coin from Aruba, East African coin with a hole in the center from the '30s are the ones that stir my memory. Always grabbed wheat pennies whenever I saw them.

I have a coin from Israel somewhere around here as well.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm gonna have to look through mine tonight. Been awhile since I've done that. Pretty neat to look at all the different designs from countries all over the world. My favorites have writing on the edge.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    People are finding old coins in their change again...We owe that to coinstar machines...Folks have huge jars full of coins they have accumulated over the years and dump them in the machine...The coins end up back in circulation.....

The first time it happened to me I was paying for a meal at a drive thru and the young lady took my money and said..."Wow...That's a Mercury dime..." I told her I didn't believe it and to let me see...She handed it back and I grabbed a modern dime from the ash tray of the truck and gave it to her and said, "So it is...Thanks for the heads up..."

It did cost me...I was scared to eat the burger after I pulled that move...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth? will show you what deavaluation of our money has done to it.

Modern Lincoln Cents NumisMedia Price Guide-Good-MS60 will let you look up the collector value of those cents.

I would think melt value would tell you more about the difference in composition of the coin than devaluation, unless the metal composition is the same. The zinc penny costs far less to purchase the raw material than the copper.

It does tell you about intrinsic value, though. :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've bought most of my silver in what's called "junk dimes". 1964 was the last year they were 90% (sterling) silver, and junk is what they call the ones that aren't valuable because of special condition or rarity, though some of those slip through once in a while. I caught a really roached out 1916D that was still worth a few hundred. The change in composition is what's called "debasement", where the coin goes from having intrinsic value due to the base metal, to having fiat value like Federal Reserve notes. That's why the zinc cents are cheaper to produce; copper ones before 1982 are worth about 2¢ in melt now, plated zinc is cheap.

The coolest things I've gotten in circulation were a $1 silver certificate with the blue seals and serial numbers rather than green, and a $20 US note. It was series 1950, but when I looked up the treasurer and secretary of treasury I found it was printed around when I was born. The US notes are the ones that say "will pay to the bearer on demand", which your FRNs don't.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    My grandfather gave me some coins when I was younger that he brought back from when he was in the service during WWII. I never got serious about collecting coins but when I worked retail, I would trade coins out of my pocket for old coins or foreign coins as I ran across them. After my grandparents both passed on, I got the rest of my grandfathers coins and a couple some Japanese occupation currency from the Philippines.

My cousin and great-aunt used to run a baitshop in rural Arkansas. They showed me some coins they thought were really weird looking normal US coins they took in payment. Someone had paid them with proof set coins.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The only nickels I'm aware of with any silver in them were made during WWII, and they didn't have that much. There may have been earlier ones, though.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    They might say alot, but my wife worked at a bank for a few years. money is the dirtiest thing commonly handled by everyone day in and day out.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I got an 1866 Indian Head cent in change the other day at the grocery store. I looked up similar coins in the same condition on eBay, and they were selling for $50-60. Also, it is funny that the coin star machines REJECT silver coins. I have found a Mercury dime, and a silver Roosevelt dime on grocery store floors near coin star machines that people have apparently thrown away. A friend found a handful of silver coins in the reject pocket of a coin star mavpchine too.

Top Bottom