• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This. Ive got a snow blower with a cheap chinese knockoff of the Honda engine. It HATES old gas. Untreated Ethanol gas purchased in August is stale enough by February that the engine wont turn over. When its time to buy fresh gas to feed the beast I take the can to the gas station, empty it into my car's tank, top off the car. Fill the can and hang up the nozzle.

This is how we cycle out our reserves. 6 to 10 months shelf time we wait or the lowest pump prices, trucks right at half a tank or so and we fill them with the oldest fuel in reserves. Fill the jugs back up. Staybil and seal them back up. Pull the oldest remaining jugs back to the front and put the new in the back of the line. Some of the reserves are well over a year old and will run anything you need to be ran.
    It takes a bit of effort of course.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Near 465 and Kentucky Ave.? Bring it over and pour it in my 5 gallon can. I'll burn it in my mower. It drinks anything.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Well.....I always start out by smelling it.

If it smells like gas put it in a somewhat full car and use it.

If it smells like something you put on furniture to preserve it it gets placed into the "fire starting" can along with old engine oil. Just like a 1 to 1 ratio. The rest of my oil gets reused through the shop furnace.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Near 465 and Kentucky Ave.? Bring it over and pour it in my 5 gallon can. I'll burn it in my mower. It drinks anything.

I thought mine did too. A JD 445 with fuel injection.

Little brother drained gas out of a truck he'd had sitting for 5 years. The gas was very dark colored and smelled BAD. I was like, screw it. Poured it in the JD, which had about a quarter tank's worth in it. It started up fine, then started to SMOKE. It ran OK, so I kept going and finished the yard. Might as well fog the mosquitoes at the same time.

The next week when I fired it up, it was running badly, way down on power, and still smoking. After checking some things out, I removed the radiator cap and turned the key. It shot antifreeze 6 feet up in the air. Head gasket was blown to s**t.

The motor had about 1800 hours at the time, so maybe it was a coincidence. But that's the last nasty old gas I'll dump in anything.

I mixed the rest 50/50 with used motor oil for burning brush piles and such.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Carburetors on my beasts. I try not to run more than 25% old in the mix. I'm not above putting a little lighter fluid in the old stuff. Head gasket, easy fix. My JD push mower will almost run on oil and does during skeeter time on purpose. I've treated it like that for 15 years.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    As others have said mix it with fresh stuff and use it up or dump it around the shed to keep the mice away. You can mix it with used motor oil and it makes a nice wood stain for fence or trailer decks and can be sprayed to kill the weeds. Lots of options. Startron can bring the volitility back up so it can be used. I use Startron in everything that takes gas.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I ran nearly three year old gas through my Focus a few months ago. 5 gallons into a half a tank, then the other 5 gallons when it got low enough. No issues, ran like normal.

Mine came out of sealed metal cans.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This is how we cycle out our reserves. 6 to 10 months shelf time we wait or the lowest pump prices, trucks right at half a tank or so and we fill them with the oldest fuel in reserves. Fill the jugs back up. Staybil and seal them back up. Pull the oldest remaining jugs back to the front and put the new in the back of the line. Some of the reserves are well over a year old and will run anything you need to be ran.
    It takes a bit of effort of course.

So the gas in the container in question still looks like and smells like normal gas. It didn't change color or turn to sludge yet. I poured about a gallon of that into my 3/4 car gas tank and used up most of that fuel during this week's driving. I just refilled my tank at Costco and plan to empty the remainder in that gas can when my car's tank gets to 3/4 again. So far so good.

While I was at Costco I stumbled across a new batch of gas containers they had on sale and couldn't resist... so I bought another 5 gallon container. :): Now I'm gonna label the dates on my stored gas and cycle them this way every 4 months.

Top Bottom