• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok all you INGO historic gun folks, here's one that has stumped me and Google image search.

The US soldier holding this appears to be wearing a uniform from about 1900 through 1915 or so. Unlikely to be cosplay, given how the pic was found. 1000001482.jpg

Also, could be either from training or a captured weapon. Or some 1900s frankengun.

Thanks in advance.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ok all you INGO historic gun folks, here's one that has stumped me and Google image search.

The US soldier holding this appears to be wearing a uniform from about 1900 through 1915 or so. Unlikely to be cosplay, given how the pic was found. View attachment 317271

Also, could be either from training or a captured weapon. Or some 1900s frankengun.

Thanks in advance.
    Welcome back stranger! I have no idea what that is, wouldn’t hold it let alone shoot it. Good to see you in this part of the Internet again.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    It resembles a French mas-36 in some ways but I couldn’t tell you for sure. Could be modified? the side load looking thing is throwing me for a loop. Never seen anything like that on a bolt gun

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Swiss Vetterli rifle, probably chambered in 10.4x38 mm Swiss (blackpowder rimfire).

Thanks, guys - and that's what I choose to remember about INGO. :)

So, as I go down that rabbit hole, it looks like a US military noncom might've been holding that in Europe or in the US. But, based on other information, it was speculated that it might have been in the Philippines during that poorly-remembered US military action, but that seems unlikely.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks, guys - and that's what I choose to remember about INGO. :)

So, as I go down that rabbit hole, it looks like a US military noncom might've been holding that in Europe or in the US. But, based on other information, it was speculated that it might have been in the Philippines during that poorly-remembered US military action, but that seems unlikely.
    IIRC, @indiucky told me that some of these made it over here and were used in the battle of Athens in 1946 (not that that is where your pic is from - just more interesting trivia).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IIRC, @indiucky told me that some of these made it over here and were used in the battle of Athens in 1946 (not that that is where your pic is from - just more interesting trivia).
    Yeah, it sounds like they were popular "affordable" hunting rifles in parts of the country for quite a while.

Interestingly, some of the parts of the country where this lad might've been from.

It seems to be more like a trophy or something, though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, it sounds like they were popular "affordable" hunting rifles in parts of the country for quite a while.

Interestingly, some of the parts of the country where this lad might've been from.

It seems to be more like a trophy or something, though.
    I have a Vetterli that was converted to 6.5 Carcano (Vetterli/Carcano). It's the longest gun I own. Makes a Mosin 91/30 look short. :):

1701966758746.png

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    *Battle of Blair Mountain

"Of the cornucopia of arms used at Blair Mountain during the Coal Wars, three can be singled out as being emblematic of the fight: the Model 1873 Winchester rifle; the Swiss Vetterli rifle; and the Thompson submachine gun. The Winchester was one of the rifles most often seen among the ranks of the miners, the Vetterli was considered the “poor man’s bear gun” and was a favorite in the region, and the Thompson submachine gun apparently earned its place in history as a significant game changer in battle at Blair Mountain."

1701986730817.png

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    *Battle of Blair Mountain

"Of the cornucopia of arms used at Blair Mountain during the Coal Wars, three can be singled out as being emblematic of the fight: the Model 1873 Winchester rifle; the Swiss Vetterli rifle; and the Thompson submachine gun. The Winchester was one of the rifles most often seen among the ranks of the miners, the Vetterli was considered the “poor man’s bear gun” and was a favorite in the region, and the Thompson submachine gun apparently earned its place in history as a significant game changer in battle at Blair Mountain."

View attachment 317350

Ah yes, that's it! Thank you Rick! :thumbsup:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey indi, nice to see you around.

It looks to me, based on sites like this:

That the Italian variants typically had all wood, but the Swiss seemed to have the metal showing for the loading gate. That kind of specificity might help identify the original pic.

Also, any thoughts on how a US doughboy might've gotten his pic with one? :)

Top Bottom