• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks, guys - and that's what I choose to remember about INGO. :)

So, as I go down that rabbit hole, it looks like a US military noncom might've been holding that in Europe or in the US. But, based on other information, it was speculated that it might have been in the Philippines during that poorly-remembered US military action, but that seems unlikely.

Welcome back T Lex....

imho...

That photo is of a national guardsman holding a captured Swiss Vettereli rifle from the Battle of Blair Mountain...he was probably like, "look what these hillbilles they are fighting with can you believe it" pic.....

Here's a pic of some captured arms...there is a list somewhere and there was a sh*t load of them...very popular through Sears and Roebuck, Monkey-gomery Ward and others.... 1701987453359.png 1701987411143.png

1701987351114.png

1701987331705.png

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hey indi, nice to see you around.

It looks to me, based on sites like this:

That the Italian variants typically had all wood, but the Swiss seemed to have the metal showing for the loading gate. That kind of specificity might help identify the original pic.

Also, any thoughts on how a US doughboy might've gotten his pic with one? :)
    See post above lol....

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    1701966758746.png
    Off-topic, I know but -
    That outdoor grill in the background looks very familiar, like mine
    1701988694033.jpeg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Welcome back T Lex....

imho...

That photo is of a national guardsman holding a captured Swiss Vettereli rifle from the Battle of Blair Mountain...he was probably like, "look what these hillbilles they are fighting with can you believe it" pic.....

Here's a pic of some captured arms...there is a list somewhere and there was a sh*t load of them...very popular through Sears and Roebuck, Monkey-gomery Ward and others...
    So, that's certainly plausible. And crossed my mind, too.

As these things tend to happen, the pic was found in a bunch of other family pics. Most of the people are known. This one isn't, but one of the family members that it could be has been documented as serving with the US military in the Philippines in that time period. Of course, several relatives in that time period also served in WWI. None are known to have been in WV during that period of time, although the coal mines of Pennsylvania figure prominently in the family.

So, really just trying to figure out the odds of any given scenario.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    So, that's certainly plausible. And crossed my mind, too.

As these things tend to happen, the pic was found in a bunch of other family pics. Most of the people are known. This one isn't, but one of the family members that it could be has been documented as serving with the US military in the Philippines in that time period. Of course, several relatives in that time period also served in WWI. None are known to have been in WV during that period of time, although the coal mines of Pennsylvania figure prominently in the family.

So, really just trying to figure out the odds of any given scenario.

Federal troops were brought in...not just National Guard...I had no idea.....that ended it because the miners wouldn't fire on federal troops as many of them were vets...they would, however, fire on local national guard lol.....Billy Mitchell, of WW2 fame had pilots drop bombs on the miners.....If I was a betting man I'd say he was part of those federal troops brought in at the end who handled the surrender....The Swiss rifle was the 2nd most common rifle among the weapons surrendered...lots of Smith and Wesson and Colt's as well....topbreaks I frames and police positives....I

I'm just spit balling here lol...

"Federal troops arrived by September 2. The miners, many of whom were veterans themselves, were unwilling to fire on U.S. troops.[43][44] Bill Blizzard passed the word for the miners to start heading home the following day. Miners fearing jail and confiscation of their guns found clever ways to hide rifles and handguns in the woods before leaving Logan County. Some were found later, along with many spent and live cartridges which helped archeologists reconstruct the course of the fighting.[5]" 1702001466373.png 1702001540395.png 1702001504633.png

1702001436768.png

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Kinda reminds me of the Bonus Army and the military leaders that were involved in that.

"Only" 100 years ago....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Something else I just thought of - would that gun (in either chambering) even be legal for deer in Indiana these days?

Of course, people were better marksmen back then (overall), and placement beats caliber, right? ;)

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Something else I just thought of - would that gun (in either chambering) even be legal for deer in Indiana these days?

Of course, people were better marksmen back then (overall), and placement beats caliber, right? ;)

The 10.4 x 38mm Swiss round would be legal on both public and private land. It has a bullet diameter of 0.41" and case length of 1.47".

The 6.5 Carcano would only be legal on private land.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Just got done reading in about Blair mt and all your guys posts and pictures. Wow. Never had heard of that before. Great piece of history!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Just got done reading in about Blair mt and all your guys posts and pictures. Wow. Never had heard of that before. Great piece of history!

Here's the prelude to the battle of Blair Mountain....this skirmish ignited the fire that became the battle......from the film Matewan....

As a side note, if you have ever white water rafted the New river with ACE Outfitters in WV the beach at the end of this scene is where you launch your raft from to run the upper New river...

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Here's the prelude to the battle of Blair Mountain....this skirmish ignited the fire that became the battle......from the film Matewan....

As a side note, if you have ever white water rafted the New river with ACE Outfitters in WV the beach at the end of this scene is where you launch your raft from to run the upper New river...

Now I am gonna have to watch whole movie!

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I went to college in Charleston, WVa and the same mentality of the coal miners was present in that time. Always looking for a fight and trusting no one.

Now a days you could just leave a stash of kick butt drag boats for them to find and they would all voluntarily kill themselves trying to make them fly, no need for any shots to be fired...

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Late to the party but such a cool old gun. Always wanted one; never stumbled into the right one. Either find one that is toast or convert to centerfire.

Oh...the list of gun needs remains long....
    I can hardly believe it but one just popped up in the classifieds. Sure looks similar.

Top Bottom