Old gun, is it worth the time and money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I have an old what I can best bet to be a stevens tool company crackshot single shot 22lr with an octagon barrel and bead sight. It was supposed to be my first gun project before grandpa got sick. As things go grandpa never got better and I haven't had the heart to get out the old gun since the 21 gun salute. I figure its about time I do something with it since he always said guns are nothing more than tools and should be treated and maintained as such. Here are a list of problems as I see them:

1. I need a good smith with knowledge of turn of the century guns
    2. this bad boy needs a stock
    3. is it worth it?

honestly if I put a grand in this it would be worth it to me so 3 is kind of a moot point but does put bearing on when i can start.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    On gun broker they are running around $200 and up .

Having a piece of yyour family history ,,,,Priceless ...

They are great guns have shot a few and wish I had one in my collection

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If it's still in working condition, what is even the question!? Learn to cut some wood, carve up a stock (to add YOUR tradition to the rifle), and refinish it. Guns like that aren't for sellin' cause you want some poly-pistol or some crazy stuff, its for passin' on! :)

Any GOOD gunsmith worth his salt should be able to work on that rifle. Parts might be touchy, but those can be fabbed up if needed.

I wonder if Hoosier Gun Coat has his hot blueing tanks! :D

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    I need a good quality smith as the extractor is still functional but does not have the umph to extract a shell would be my bet as it is strong as about tin foil (the good stuff not this paper thin steamrolled crap you see now). I have a wood working shop at my disposal but without even so much as a template as to not gum up the lever works for the breach I am just more safe than sorry kind of guy and would hate to ruin a good piece of walnut or cherry just to throw it out and start over.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    ... I have a wood working shop at my disposal but without even so much as a template as to not gum up the lever works for the breach I am just more safe than sorry kind of guy and would hate to ruin a good piece of walnut or cherry just to throw it out and start over.

How about practicing with pine and using that as your template? Then it's not near as heart/wallet breaking if you don't get it on the first try. Btw, congrats on taking up the project and honoring your grandfather, I hope it's a great trip down memory lane.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Glad this forum is what it is and the people here are who they are! Saving links and responses for my future heirloom project. :yesway:

I will be the recipient of an old Steven's single shot youth model .22 LR (someday) that was my Great Grandfather's. This rifle adorned the mantle over our fireplace as I was growing up. I have always wanted to refurbish it and hopefully pass it on to my children. Now I just have to talk my Dad out of it so that he will be able to enjoy it once it's back in it's original condition.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Step one would be to determine exactly what model you have, take it to a gun show or two and ask some of the collectors. Or if you are in Lafayette check in at Diamond V Outdoor Sports, they deal in a lot of vintage 22s there.

I wore out the extractor on my Crackshot, a gunsmith simply built it back up and re-cut it by welding on some material.

A new stock should not be hard to find and shouldn't cost much more tha 100 bucks in walnut.

I would restore it for a family gun...should n't have more than $300 bucks unless you want to re-case color the receiver and re-blue the other parts.

H&HMarine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Silver Lake
    I have 2 of them, one is like new and the other is modified to a .38 special and I totally refinished it, duracoated it and refinshed the stock and it looks great. They are extremely accurate guns for the money.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Here she is by the way and apparently its a favorite fifteen the brother to the crackshot
    5412431867_50979738c4_b.jpg

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Don't reblue that rifle has earned every mark. Gently steel wool and oil, use plenty, to remove scale and crud. By your picture it looks pretty good as is. Check with Butch's at the 1500, he may have a buttstock.
    Found his card, no phone, he'd never get anything done. Address:
    L&K Guns and Parts
    23697 414th Avenue
    Bellevue, IA 52031
    Send him a snail mail with your needs, he's a great guy.
    Here's mine it was my grandpa's hog rifle it had an octagon barrel that was shot out.
    I saved it but replaced it with one from Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories set in place and drill for set screw. The stock was split from the toe to the action. I rasped the bottom of the stock flat and grafted in a new piece. It's a hoot to knock a few squirrels out of a tree with it. FWIW My Gandpa Stottlemyer passed away when I was 4 days old........:@ya:........Duce<><
    Grandpa_s_Favorite.jpg

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Don't reblue that rifle has earned every mark. Gently steel wool and oil, use plenty, to remove scale and crud. By your picture it looks pretty good as is. Check with Butch's at the 1500, he may have a buttstock.
    Found his card, no phone, he'd never get anything done. Address:
    L&K Guns and Parts
    23697 414th Avenue
    Bellevue, IA 52031
    Send him a snail mail with your needs, he's a great guy.
    Here's mine it was my grandpa's hog rifle it had an octagon barrel that was shot out.
    I saved it but replaced it with one from Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories set in place and drill for set screw. The stock was split from the toe to the action. I rasped the bottom of the stock flat and grafted in a new piece. It's a hoot to knock a few squirrels out of a tree with it. FWIW My Gandpa Stottlemyer passed away when I was 4 days old........:@ya:........Duce<><
    Grandpa_s_Favorite.jpg

Had no intentions of rebluing just got some pretty nasty stuff I have to get off of it. Numrich has nothing for this rifle luckily my barrel seems in excellent shape. I talked to a guy in merrilville that said he would help me out but said this wouldn't be a high priority thing for him to do so it would take 6 months to a year to fix the extractor for me:n00b:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think you have the Starting of a pretty nice rifle. You might see if a local Machine Shop could or would be willing to craft parts for you also...

Top Bottom