• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    It's funny how certain safety practices, once drilled into your mind, become second nature.

This morning as I was doing some "honey-do" stuff, hanging mirrors, fixing loose screws in furniture and tightening up some doorknobs. Every time I walked by the wife carrying the cordless drill she giggled. After the third or fourth time I had to ask "what's up"? Did I have toilet paper on my shoes or something?

She said look at the way your holding the drill. I looked down and sure enough, the index finger was straight, pointing down the barrel, away from the trigger. Just like I was taught 30+ years ago.

Being the smart a** that I am, I replied " of course I'm holding it this way, you don't want an accidental discharge with a cordless drill. Somebody might get screwed".

Some things you learn just become second nature.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    EVERY time you hold something with a trigger, you have an opportunity to do it right or do it wrong. It doesn't matter if it's a drill, a pistol, chain saw or a water hose. Putting your finger on the trigger should be a conscience, purposeful decision.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I just taught a Basic Pistol course yesterday, and it was so satisfying to see every student - from a sweet 70-something lady to the youngest kid in the class - picking up their handguns out on the range with that index finger straight down the slide, maintaining perfect muzzle direction discipline the whole time. It literally made me smile every time. It's very cool to think that that training might stick with them for the next 30 years like it did with the OP.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Even with their toy guns, my 3 and 4 year old get told any time they have their finger on the trigger. It is the very core of firearms safety.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    When I bought my first pistol I handled it a lot, practicing strict trigger discipline every time I picked it up. Over the next several days I caught myself picking up my drink with my index finger pointed straight out. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom