• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    My father is re-doing his extra bathroom and taking out a shower for a stack-able washer and dryer unit. The old shower had an approx 48 inch square lead plate for the shower bottom. Probably 1/8 in or so thick. He told me maybe 100 lbs. Took 2 guys to carry out of the house.

He said maybe we should keep it in case we need to mold our own bullets after shtf or he said maybe I should sell it and buy something else with the money. I am not sure how to advise him, since I have no concept of what the lead may be worth.

Can anyone help me out?

If this is not the right section please feel free to move it.

Thanks

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    What are the chances of a late 60's early 70's era shower lead shower liner having zinc in it? How can I find out if it does?

Trying to learn this as I never thought of showers as a source of lead.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I had no idea lead was ever used as a shower liner so I can't comment on the chances.

As I understand it, Zinc contamination is a "you'll know it when you see it" proposition. It will not fill out the tight little crevices in your bullet mold and won't cast sharp edges.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It is probably pure lead much like the roofing variety. Great for ML stuff or you can alloy it up to a harder level with tin/antimony blends. Plenty of people here including myself that buy or trade for it if you don't want it.:)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Speaking as a plumber who's torn out some of the older stuff and used the newer stuff, it's pure lead. Lead works great for stuff like this and if you alloy it 20 pounds pure lead to 1 pound (one roll) of 95-5 solder, you've got a nearly perfect alloy for most of the handgun bullets you'll ever need.
    I've got a few hundred pounds of pure lead I need to alloy myself once it warms up a bit.

Doug K

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    99.9% pure lead is selling at midway for 7.7lbs $24.00 plus ship.

Just bought 56lbs NEY certified 1to20 for $99 including ship gunbroker.
    PRICES ARE EVERYWHERE. lLeadeye was right there are plenty of buyers if your selling. Zinc can be made to come out of solution if proper heating rules are followed (400F).

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    you can also look into currency as a guide to what was used. in coins circulating at 1964 and before were mostly silver it wasn't until aflter 1964 that they started using crap metal like zinc. if it was infact prior 1964 I would bet that it is pure lead without the additives. If it was 1970 then it might have been a mixture or metals.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    If I may thread jack a little.......How will automobile wheel weights work for casting bullets? Does one need to add anything to it, or is it too hard to begin with?
    Thanks

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Wheel weights are just about right for many handgun rounds. I use straight WW for most of my auto loaders and medium level .357 loads. I cut it about half and half with pure lead for lower pressure loads like light .38 Special and .45 Colt loads.

Doug K

Top Bottom