• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    I was told by someone to use an old nickel, pre-195x something, to get dried paint off my .22 rifle barrel without damaging it. Has anyone here heard of doing this? The rifle already has some minor surface rust and the nickel didn't seem to harm it. Would this be safe to do on a gun with a nicer finish if need be?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The idea as far as I understand it is that the nickel is harder than the finish/rust/oxidation but not harder than the steel. Realistically anything harder than the paint/rust but softer than the steel would work.

If you have rust, the surface in that area is already damaged/gone so I wouldn't worry about damaging the finish in that spot but simply limiting repairs to the damaged area.

I've always just used some steel wool to remove rust myself but before that happens, I try to keep things lubed up/coated/covered so they don't rust. A good example is the top of the chamber on my Sig p226 - if I don't keep a good coat of oil or an extremely thin coat of grease on it, it'll rust in a hurry.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    never heard of it. Likely arises from the fact if you rub a softer metal up agains a harder metal you will not scratch the harder metal. :dunno:

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Old school gunsmith trick for removing light rust spots. When paired with transmission fluid it does a stellar job. Any oil will do, I just prefer T-fluid for gun cleaning.

Any nickle will do, non-date specific.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I was told by someone to use an old nickel, pre-195x something, to get dried paint off my .22 rifle barrel without damaging it. Has anyone here heard of doing this? The rifle already has some minor surface rust and the nickel didn't seem to harm it. Would this be safe to do on a gun with a nicer finish if need be?

Why pre-195x? The composition of nickels hasn't changed since just after the Civil War except for a brief stint during World War 2 when silver was substituted.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you are willing to spend $5, this thing works very well:

Metal Care Cloth

My duty shotgun had some surface rust on it from being out in the rain several times, and it removed it quickly and easily.

Seems like it'd be a lot easier and faster than using a nickel, but each to their own.

Top Bottom