• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    When my wife's grandmother was in her final days, she began distributing things, and gave my wife and I a sewing machine, I never thought much into it. Never opened the case, just put it upstairs. So today I wanted to sew something, and I couldn't get ahold of my mom to use her sewing machine, I decided to try the machine she gave us. I opened it up and this is the gem I found. Original sales receipt from January 1956, owners/service manual, warranty paperwork, original accessory kit including tools. Everything works (except the belt is tough as nails). So I'm sad I couldn't fix what I wanted to, but I found this rock solid piece of machinery. Not that I am going to part with it, but I'm wondering what its worth. NO RUST anywhere on it, and like I said, its all original with everything operational (given the belt were good, which I plan to find one). Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Can not really read the make and model, but Precision made in Japan, $80-200 is my guess. I would get some good machine oil and make sure its lubed properly.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I was a sewing macine repairman for around fifteen years, as well as owned my own shop. With that said it's worth about 50.00 if it works. Old sewing machines have about the same value as an old washing machine, no much.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I was a sewing macine repairman for around fifteen years, as well as owned my own shop. With that said it's worth about 50.00 if it works. Old sewing machines have about the same value as an old washing machine, no much.
    This^^^

It's a Singer copy machine. This one has adjustable stitch length with forward & reverse (exact same mechanism as my Singer 15-91) and is belt-drive with the motor right behind the arm. I'm going to wager it's copied directly after the Singer model 15-90. The Singer 15-91 like I have is a bit more desirable because it is direct, gear-driven vs. the belt like this one.

I paid about $40 for my 15-91 with table and put about $30 into it to get it running in tip-top shape which included a couple parts, all new wiring top to bottom, and a new light-bulb. It's a tank but the motor itself seems a little bit "doggy". I'm thinking it might have a winding partially burned out. In which case it won't be worth repairing unless I can find a good deal on a used motor.

Parts should be easy to find and that thing will be a tank. It should use the same belt and most parts as the equivalent Singer model.

IMHO, that machine is a keeper for sure. It doesn't do fancy stitches, but it can sew some heavy-duty stuff for sure. A belt should only cost you a few dollars at a sewing machine shop or online. I would get it out, clean it off, and learn how to use it now vs. when you really need it and you find out it's missing parts.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Like I said, I was interested if it had value, but it didn't really matter as it is something we will keep. I like its Tank-Like quality. Im going to check the only place in town we have for the belt, and hopefully have it running tomorrow...

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    My mom has an old foot powered Singer sitting in the garage. I want to say it belonged to her grandmother. Not sure of the year on it.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    If you want a real heavy duty machine watch for a 401 singer. It is a gear driven motor so no belt to replace or slip when going through thick material. I keep one in my garage for heavy work that my wife's $5000.00 Pfaff won't even begin to sew.

Top Bottom