• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I remember that.
    I have new boxes of CCI .22lr shot shells and the box warns that the shot can travel 250 yards!
    I call :poop: on that one.
    Ran it in a ballistic calculator here's what you would have to do to shoot 1 mile/1760 yards with a 22lr HV.

100yd zero
    I ran in increments of 80yds to get 1760.
    Do notice it would take 1356 foot hold over. :lmfao:
    Screenshot_20230619-195247_Federal.jpg

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Doing the math in my head, that holdover is only about a 20 degree angle. Which is why so many outdoor ranges are adamant about safe gun handling and keeping your gun pointed at the impact berms.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Doing the math in my head, that holdover is only about a 20 degree angle. Which is why so many outdoor ranges are adamant about safe gun handling and keeping your gun pointed at the impact berms.
    I wonder what the chances of hitting a 15' high x 50' long side of a barn would be at 1760yds with a 22lr?
    How many shots would it take to land a hit even on a perfect day?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I wonder what the chances of hitting a 15' high x 50' long side of a barn would be at 1760yds with a 22lr?
    How many shots would it take to land a hit even on a perfect day?
    At the end of it's energy, the bullet trajectory would probably be close to 60 degrees downslope. That 15' wall shrinks to maybe a five foot target due to the angle. Add head wind, tail wind, or both, shot to shot velocity variance...it's a crap shoot.

OTOH, the bullet has to go somewhere. How much ammo you got??

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    At the end of it's energy, the bullet trajectory would probably be close to 60 degrees downslope. That 15' wall shrinks to maybe a five foot target due to the angle. Add head wind, tail wind, or both, shot to shot velocity variance...it's a crap shoot.

OTOH, the bullet has to go somewhere. How much ammo you got??
    That would make for a new interesting long range competition.
    I wonder how many professional long distance shooters could hit a 5 feet target with a 22lr at 1760yds.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    IMO the warning isn't about an aimed shot, or effective distance, but rather about "know your background". For instance, growing up, we used a 22 to eliminate pesky mess making birds in trees that surrounded my parents house. We likely had the barrel elevated at the above 20 degree angle (or more). If we missed, the bullet could travel that mile coming down who knows where. Because of this, we never bothered the birds on the "town side" of the property as the fallout would be in town. However the opposite direction had close to 1.5 miles before the next house, so was considered safe to take those shots.

Remember, the warnings aren't necessarily there for conscientious people, but those who ignore safety protocols.

Now, that said, I agree that the 1 mile long range 22 competition could be interesting...

Rick

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Knob Creek range always had junk cars left over from their now discontinued Machine Gun Shoot, It was fun to shoot at cars 100-300 yards away with a .22 Pow.....Tink!..... Pow....Tink! Just a little hold over....They also used to have a steel plate at the top of the hill, at the far point of the range, it was something like 400 yards+ That was fun to try to hit with a .22.......Pow..............Ding!

Top Bottom