• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    If you could post some pictures of it for us to look at, I bet someone will have some information for you. If you know how to remove the handle (don't try if you are not sure), some pictures of both sides of the tang would help quite a bit.

hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I picked up one of these many years ago in an antique store. The lady who ran the place asked me if I'd give her $25 for it, naturally I did. Thinking I had something of great value, I took it to one of those militaria buyers that operate out of motel rooms on weekends, who proceeded to tell me it wasn't worth much, would I take $125? I decided to keep it. Finally a few years back I met a collector of Japanese WWII arms who had been searching for an NCO sword for his personal collection. He wanted it and I felt like it needed a new home, so we struck a trade. I got an Arisaka rifle that had been sporterized and converted into a .257 Roberts and an original bayonet for my original Arisaka rifle. He got the sword and we were both happy. Don't know if that helps you or not. Try Googling it, best I remember one in really good condition was in the $300-$400 range.

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Thanks! I did google a bit. There are about 12 on EBay that are similar. They range from 300 all the way up to 1200 dollars. This one is not close to the shape of the higher priced one. Guess I'll follow your lead and see if I can trade it for something someday.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yup, that is a machine made NCO shin gunto.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten a lot about these over the years. I can tell you it should be an earlier production sword, probably around 1941-42 because of the tsuba, it's the older, more elaborate, thicker design. Later on in the war they started to use a thin steel slab to shave cost and manufacture time.

That's how you can usually guess the age of them, during the war they made different styles. Earlier in the war they were more elaborate looking, later on, say 1945, they started using nasty wood handles just because they were cheaper and a lot of the metal was going toward the war effort.

Here's a little info

eBay and Fake WWII Japanese Swords

Before the economy tanked, these swords were going for decent money, but after the fall the values decreased and I stopped paying attention to the market prices, but I think it's starting to rebound. There was a guy for the longest time who set up shop at the 1500 who used to sell Japanese swords, I picked up a couple handmades from him and 1 machine made, haven't seen him there though in 6 years? though.

Top Bottom