• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jknight94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    I just acquired a WWII era Walther PPK from my grandfather. It hasn't been fired in an unknown number of years. Is there any way I can know it is safe to fire and is reliable to use?

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    :welcome: To :ingo:

I suggest break-down & clean. Reassemble & light oil. Take it to the range!
    If you are not comfortable with the idea. Take it to a gunsmith & have him do a reliability check.
    As long as it hasn't been mistreated, it should be fine.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    :welcome: To :ingo:

I suggest break-down & clean. Reassemble & light oil. Take it to the range!
    If you are not comfortable with the idea. Take it to a gunsmith & have him do a reliability check.
    As long as it hasn't been mistreated, it should be fine.

:+1:

And dont forget, just like with any other gun ...

900010056_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569830870313.jpg

Especially with an old gun.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I ran onto a similar situation. It was clear my WWII pistol (Astra) was never fired, but I went to an LGS to have someone take a look just to be safe. Cleaned it up, and it fired like a champ. Good luck!

Jknight94

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    Thanks to all, I'll most likely go the gunsmith route to be most sure of its condition. I will be posting pictures later in this thread.

HistoryGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Churubusco
    Slide bite indeed. Mine still has blood on it from the last go-round. Can't limp wrist the PPK either or it won't cycle. Hold on tight, hold on low. Great guns.

I have a newer Walther PPK/S, and my fiancée's dad got slide bite on it. I never have. The little beaver tail on it doesn't help as much the bigger hands you have. And I have had it cycle wrong on me for limp wristing. The old casing didn't eject and then it tried to pick up a fresh round. I had to pull the slide off and take the spent casing out and put the new round back in the mag then rack the slide again.

homer12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Have fun with your new family treasure! My Grandfather traded a buddy in WWII for an SS officer's PPK that he came across. My Dad now has it. It is very fun to shoot and does not have issues. Can't recall it being totally torn down, cleaned, and lubed and still cycles fine. Here is a website I came across when doing some research to find out the production era of that one: Pistols of the German Wehrmacht Some really interesting info there. Any stamps on the barrel or slide?

jshiloh

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I would dissameble...if possible and clean and oil and make sure there are no damaged parts or missing parts

iuhoosier95

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Indiana
    What makes you think it's WW2 and what makes you think it's a reblue? Are there markings?

That is a Walther PP, not a PPK. It appears as though it is WWII but the photo is pretty blurry so I wont swear to it. Zooming in really close on the photo it looks like it has the Waffenamts on the barrel and just below the ejection port on the slide. It also appears to have "AC" (again very hard to read though) marked under the serial on the slide which would denote a wartime manufactured PP by Walther. Better photos would confirm though.

Top Bottom