• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    I inherited this older Charter Arms Undercover .38 Special from my Grandpa when he died a few years ago. I have been thinking about replacing the wooden grips and picking up a couple speed loaders. I have had some trouble finding info for this gun seeing as it is a bit older. Any help on where to look?

2010-09-15_12-25-42_312.jpg

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    All of the old Charters had the same size grip frame; the .44 & .357 Bulldogs, the .38 Undercovers, and the .22 Pathfinders.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Make sure you save your receipts if you buy speed loaders. I have a Charter Arms .38 Undercover as well that was made in the 70's. I searched quite a few local gun shops to no avail. All the speed loaders I bought were not small enough to allow the shells into the gun. Just a heads up. YEMV.

This is my CA .38:
    picture.php

*EDIT* - Too add some more information, if your situation ends up like mine, your best bet would be to get some Speed Strips.
    policestuff_2191_641775181

P.S.- Why do you want to replace the grip? If it is a heirloom, you should keep it all original to preserve the memory of your Grandfather! The only reason I personally would replace the grip is if something was wrong and needed to be fixed to remain usable. Otherwise I'd leave it as it is! :)

Last edited:

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Charter Arms

I bought an older Charter Arms Undercover 38. for my wife when I lived in Louisiana. Was hanging out at a local gunshop when a elderly lady came in with the pistol in the org. box. She said she had bought the gun there last week and put it under her bed, a few days later her grandchildren came to her house found the gun and carried into her kitchen. The dealer said it was still considered a used gun even though it had never been fired and could not refund the entire amount he offered her 75.00 dollars. She took the 75 and left , he looked at me and ask if I wanted to buy the gun I said how much and he said 75.00. It is still my wifes bedroom gun and she also qualified with it to get her Louisiana Concealed Weapons permit. She loves that gun.

Last edited:

Belt99

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Anderson
    P.S.- Why do you want to replace the grip? If it is a heirloom, you should keep it all original to preserve the memory of your Grandfather! The only reason I personally would replace the grip is if something was wrong and needed to be fixed to remain usable. Otherwise I'd leave it as it is! :)

That is a good question and one that I have actaully thought about.

Originally, I was only keeping the gun for sentimental value. I have since shot it some and have carried it some for easier concealment. My only complaints about the gun are that the grip is kind of small for my hand and that it only has 5 rounds. Hence my interest in a couple speed loaders and new grips.

I feel like I could honor my Grandpa's memory more by actually carrying and shooting the gun.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That is a good question and one that I have actaully thought about.

Originally, I was only keeping the gun for sentimental value. I have since shot it some and have carried it some for easier concealment. My only complaints about the gun are that the grip is kind of small for my hand and that it only has 5 rounds. Hence my interest in a couple speed loaders and new grips.

I feel like I could honor my Grandpa's memory more by actually carrying and shooting the gun.

The grip in your picture is the larger of the two grips Charter offered. The smaller grip followed the outline of the grip frame and was thinner.
    Pachmyr used to make replacement grips.

Top Bottom