• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    I have a WWI Era Colt revolver that my Step-Grandpa pulled off a Japanese soldier in WWII. He got full documents for it and everything. He then passed it to my dad, and my dad passed it to me this Christmas. I was born in '80.

I am interested in more info and pics on this one. I had no clue the Japanese carried Colt revolvers in any conflict.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I am interested in more info and pics on this one. I had no clue the Japanese carried Colt revolvers in any conflict.

It was probably a personal weapon of that soldier. I'd like to know more about it as well. Model, caliber, markings? Cool stories out there. :yesway:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    How old is your oldest gun compared to you?

My oldest gun is from the early 30's a Remmington model 34, prolly one of my favortie guns too.

Im not sure exactly but it was somewhere between 1932-1935 so lets say 1935 for sake of discussion.

Remmington model 34-1935
    Me-1987

My oldest handgun is a 1971 S&W model 66, that was my fathers. It's a sweet shooting gun.

My oldest gun is a Winchester Model 67...from around 1955. it's in great shape, and shoots extremely well.

I am 53. Born in 1960. :)

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I have a Huskie (Husqvarna) SxS 12 gauge, made in 1920; it is my main cowboy shotgun, so is used regularily.

Also, 3 1860 Armys (but they are re-productions).

Me, I'll be the big 6-0 on Thrusday..... Greg

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Glockowner Quote:
    Originally Posted by woody24
    I have a WWI Era Colt revolver that my Step-Grandpa pulled off a Japanese soldier in WWII. He got full documents for it and everything. He then passed it to my dad, and my dad passed it to me this Christmas. I was born in '80.

It was probably a personal weapon of that soldier. I'd like to know more about it as well. Model, caliber, markings? Cool stories out there. :yesway:

Here's some photos of it: Colt .45 - a set on Flickr

What I think happened was the soldier was in another war prior to WWII, and took the weapon as his trophy. Then my grandpa got it as his own trophy. But I do not know what the true story about it is. It would be very interesting to see how this gun traveled to start with, and end up in my gun safe.

But I remember the day when my step grandpa gave it to my dad. We were visiting him, and as we were leaving, my grandpa said he wanted to give the gun to my dad. My dad refused. But my grandpa insisted, because he knew that after he passed, his biological kids would instantly sell the gun. He knew that dad wouldn't. And he asked that when dad was done with it, that it be passed to me. I remember this very well. I was about 8 at that time.

So this Christmas my dad gave it to me as a "loaner" since I now have a gun safe. Dad only has a gun cabinet, and said he's always been afraid of leaving the house for days at a time just for the reason that the gun could easily be snatched. So I am holding onto the gun until Dad is done with it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Very cool story. Is it a Colt New Service or 1917? I can really tell from the pics. US Property marked? My dad had a Walther PPK and some other old guns but they all disappeared when he died. I was only 12 so I don't know where they went. Glad you got the Colt. :yesway:

bakeman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Linton, IN
    I was born in 1986
    My oldest gun is a Remington 511 "Scoremaster". It was made in 1938, and it shoots better than most new ones. It is 48 years older than me.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Very cool story. Is it a Colt New Service or 1917? I can really tell from the pics. US Property marked? My dad had a Walther PPK and some other old guns but they all disappeared when he died. I was only 12 so I don't know where they went. Glad you got the Colt. :yesway:

Not entirely sure. I've tried not to handle it too much. But I also don't know what to look for. I don't believe I've seen a US stamp on it though. Those pictures were sent to me by my dad this past summer. I may take a closer look and see what I can find. I know I've found the serial numbers. Guessing we could find out exactly what it is from that? Or at least manufacturing date?

Also the holster shown in the photo was made from a Japanese Briefcase. Guessing by my grandpa.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    As to my old guns:
    Ithaca 12 ga. Double - 1908
    Colt Lightning (wife's grandfather's) 1909
    Remington .22 pump, take-down type (model 12?), my father in law's, about 1921
    Remington 342P, .22 bolt (my Dad's) about 1938
    S&W M&P (pre 10) 1936

Me, I'm circa 1949 so the Ithaca was 42 years old when I was born.

Top Bottom