• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It strikes me as a "preaching to the choir/fundraising" choice vs a "connect with the undecided/good PR" choice.

I know she just got elected to the board, but Julie Golob would be a much tougher target to attack and has an excellent resume. She's also tougher to paint as "NRA is old white guys who luvs the MURDER111!!!" slander campaign that's currently running against the NRA and gun owners in general. A woman who engages in shooting sports, writes children's books for gun safety, etc vs a guy who has all the baggage of Iran Contra and that end run around the law, a felony conviction that he later got overturned on technicality, lost his handgun license as an "improper person" for lying to congress...

You may be right there. I am not saying he is the best choice, but I do like him and think he is good choice overall. Brownell may be a great guy, but he definitely flew under the "LaPierre radar". Other than his monthly article in American Rifleman, I personally did not hear a lot about him or from him, although he may have been very active, I did not see much from him.

The "connect with the undecided/good PR" choice is an important consideration, and I am not sure Oliver North is the right guy for that. We will have to see...

EDIT: Why do italicized words appear in Times New Roman fonts now??? It happens all the time since the "upgrade" to the board software.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don’t know the requirements to become President of the NRA. But there are several female newcomers on the board that will make great spokespersons and possible future leaders for that top spot. Carrie Lightfoot, Julie Golob, Kim Rhodes and Il Ling New. For now the good Col. is an accomplished public speaker so let’s see how Ollie does. Others have mentioned the baggage and I have to agree he would not have been my first choice.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Maybe she doesn't want the job (yet)? Plus, Julie has a few skeletons in her own closet. On more than one occasion, she was seen speaking with me and shaking my hand. There may have been a hug, but that may have been part of a dream. Doing what the president's team ordered you to do and then taking the hit for the team pales in comparison.
    WOW! I had no idea... you poor man... those #metooers have nothing on you.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    OK; I've been letting this settle thinking I would have an " Ahh Haa" moment but I still don't get it. Col. North does not move the NRA forward or the conversation forward. The battle for the 2A isn't going to won or lost by people reading this; it's going to based upon the influences of the people on the left and right coasts. We remain one election away from drastic gun control legislation and I don't see Col. North as a figure that can bridge the divide.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    WOW! I had no idea... you poor man... those #metooers have nothing on you.

Indeed!

The violation was . . . traumatic.

There are a few on INGO who remember the aftermath. On my way home from the big USPSA match where I met her, I called everyone in my contact list - everyone - that she touched my hand.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For perspective, how many of us can remember the names of the past NRA presidents without looking?

I remember Marion Hammer and Chuck Heston. That's about it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Oliver North is an intelligent, articulate individual with a strong personality and leadership skills. Time will tell, but I think Mr. North's heart is in the right place. I am excited about the choice, hope that it works well for all of us.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    It strikes me as a "preaching to the choir/fundraising" choice vs a "connect with the undecided/good PR" choice.

I know she just got elected to the board, but Julie Golob would be a much tougher target to attack and has an excellent resume. She's also tougher to paint as "NRA is old white guys who luvs the MURDER111!!!" slander campaign that's currently running against the NRA and gun owners in general. A woman who engages in shooting sports, writes children's books for gun safety, etc vs a guy who has all the baggage of Iran Contra and that end run around the law, a felony conviction that he later got overturned on technicality, lost his handgun license as an "improper person" for lying to congress...

I like Oliver North, but you do make some excellent points about a female being a better choice at this time to help us bridge the gap. :yesway:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I like Oliver North, but you do make some excellent points about a female being a better choice at this time to help us bridge the gap. :yesway:

You guys really trust a WOMAN?
    They lie for a living. Look what that backstabber did to us in Eden. :n00b:

Jerry-T

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Terre Haute
    As much as a great leader Lt Col North is, I don't know if he was the right choice given the national stage the NRA currently has for advancing gun rights in a post-MSD era.

Top Bottom