Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Does anyone have any insight to the following AR-15 makers
    Olympic Arms
    Charles Daly
    Panther

what I am looking for is a rifle I can occasionally shoot , I don't plan on shooting in matches or shooting 20K rounds a year either , just minimal amount of shooting. What I would really like is just a plain old 20" AR-15A2
    to kind of replicate what I carried in the army some 25 years ago.
    I'd also appreciate any average price per model too , as I plan on starting to look tomorrow.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Just like any hobby you think, you just want something to do, "a little with". If you are at all interested in the ar platform, i would a least go good, not cheapest. This being said, olympic arms is not good at all, and dpms i would not recommend either (mine was a pos). I would say rock river arms or stag arms for the amount if $ you are looking at spending, and they are truly great platforms for the dollar.

Last edited:

Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    I have a Olympic Arms AR-15 and I am very happy with it I have had it for over a year and never had a bit of trouble out of it, plus I did not spend a ton of cash on it either. Good luck on your purchase! one more AR out there is never a bad thing!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    You will get as many opinions on this subject as there are members. I know there are some on INGO that swear by Oly Arms and will give you pages of "proof". I have a DPMS and with several thousand rounds through it, not the slightest hiccup. I also have a Bushy with zero problems.

Not to say that there aren't brands out there I would avoid or that some brands are not better than others, but just as with any manufactured product, you are bound to find one with problems eventually. Usually due to a tolerance / variance level error or something that would be considerered out of the norm. However, most of the time, if cared for appropriately, you shouldn't have much problem with many of the brands. (Slightly generalized.)

Prices are all over the board depending on new/used, gun shop/private seller, brand, etc, etc.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I have many differend brands of AR's. Odly enough i only had a problem with a colt, and a rock river that i dont have either anymore. I do have other rock rivers and am looking to buy another colt AR. I would trust my life to any of them. when you buy a colt your mostly paying for the name and the collectability of it. it will hold its value. almost all the others wont, unless people keep going nutz and buying up all the guns, and then even hi point POS will be selling for hundreds more than what their worth. so, they are all made with the same tolerences pretty much, If its your first AR i would go with a cheaper one, so if you dont like it your not out a lot, then if you want to blow some money like we all have buy a colt or rock river later.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I will add, somewhat on another post's sentiment, you won't stop at just 1. BRD is a force of nature, and your first purchase will multiply without you realizing it (although your bank account will).:dunno:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I've had an Olympic AR for almost a year, and with several hundred rounds of various brands of ammunition through it, it has preformed flawlessly. I'd say most of their bad reputation is hearsay, and internet forum driven.

When I bought mine, I figured it was worth the risk, since they have a lifetime warranty.

kwelz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Henryville
    Does anyone have any insight to the following AR-15 makers
    Olympic Arms
    Charles Daly
    Panther

what I am looking for is a rifle I can occasionally shoot , I don't plan on shooting in matches or shooting 20K rounds a year either , just minimal amount of shooting. What I would really like is just a plain old 20" AR-15A2
    to kind of replicate what I carried in the army some 25 years ago.
    I'd also appreciate any average price per model too , as I plan on starting to look tomorrow.

I don't suggest any of the 3, even for light work. CD would be the best of those but they are gone now. I have had problems with both of the other brands and they have a bad reputation with people far smarter than I as well.

I suggest a BCM personally, cost will be similar but quality will be far higher. Or if you really want to save money even look at a CMMG bargain bin rifle. It will be better than either the OLY or the DPMS

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I scrapped this idea , after talking with an old friend who builds them from , he convinced me to just let him build one for me, this gives me what I want , reliability and accuracy , and he gets to have his fun of putting it together.

Top Bottom