• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe you should.......
    So you’re saying the Christian community, the Jewish community, and the Muslim communities are monolithic? Well. I guess Christians want to give up all this denomination nonsense then and unite. Since they all believe the same things. And if I see one Christian acting a fool, they must all be fools, right? Of course not. That would be nonsensical to attribute the actions and attitudes of one, or a few, or even many, to the entire group.

All Kut is saying is that not all the individuals within a religion believe the same things, or have the same strength of conviction, or act the same way. Not all Christians want to bomb abortion clinics. Only a tiny minority of extremists do. Yet some opponents like to cast the worst of Christians as the whole lot. And while I think it’s obvious enough that a significant portion of Muslims are that radical, it’s not even close to evident that all Muslims have the same radical convictions. What Kut said is a true enough statement that it should be uncontroversial.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So you’re saying the Christian community, the Jewish community, and the Muslim communities are monolithic? Well. I guess Christians want to give up all this denomination nonsense then and unite. Since they all believe the same things. And if I see one Christian acting a fool, they must all be fools, right? Of course not. That would be nonsensical to attribute the actions and attitudes of one, or a few, or even many, to the entire group.

All Kut is saying is that not all the individuals within a religion believe the same things, or have the same strength of conviction, or act the same way. Not all Christians want to bomb abortion clinics. Only a tiny minority of extremists do. Yet some opponents like to cast the worst of Christians as the whole lot. And while I think it’s obvious enough that a significant portion of Muslims are that radical, it’s not even close to evident that all Muslims have the same radical convictions. What Kut said is a true enough statement that it should be uncontroversial.
    :lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

So by extension, can I take that to mean you would also say not all white people want to keep the black and brown man down? That not all people who are uncomfortable with tearing down existing monuments and statues (and re-writing history) are members in good standing of NeoNazism or Christian Identity or ideological brethren of the Klan

If so, good on you. Now let's hear the poster second the motion. Sometimes it's not what is posted, it is who posted it. You can declare that Ad Hom if you wish, but such posturing should probably be saved for Yoga class

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Now let's hear the poster second the motion. Sometimes it's not what is posted, it is who posted it. You can declare that Ad Hom if you wish, but such posturing should probably be saved for Yoga class

Those that apply to the thread originator? Because so far, there's one theme that runs throughout.

It's certainly not unreasonable, controversial, or even profound to say that stereotypes and generalizations don't include all members. So I'm not sure why anyone would be offended by that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So by extension, can I take that to mean you would also say not all white people want to keep the black and brown man down? That not all people who are uncomfortable with tearing down existing monuments and statues (and re-writing history) are members in good standing of NeoNazism or Christian Identity or ideological brethren of the Klan

If so, good on you. Now let's hear the poster second the motion. Sometimes it's not what is posted, it is who posted it. You can declare that Ad Hom if you wish, but such posturing should probably be saved for Yoga class

First paragraph: Of course.
    Second paragraph: I guess some of you take some things personally. I really don’t get it. What Kut said is a true statement. You can infer some dishonesty in how much he believes his own statement if you think that’s supported. But that’s a different thing than asserting the statement is true or false. If you doubt his sincerity, maybe you guys need to address just that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    First paragraph: Of course.
    Second paragraph: I guess some of you take some things personally. I really don’t get it. What Kut said is a true statement. You can infer some dishonesty in how much he believes his own statement if you think that’s supported. But that’s a different thing than asserting the statement is true or false. If you doubt his sincerity, maybe you guys need to address just that.

Turn that incisive mind in a somewhat different direction. Why do some people so feel the need to overtly state (and often) that they are not biased, and is testimony all that is required?

Yon Cassius hath a lean and hungry look

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Turn that incisive mind in a somewhat different direction. Why do some people so feel the need to overtly state (and often) that they are not biased, and is testimony all that is required?

Like I said, it wasn't profound, so was it posturing? A bit. To be fair, Kut can do that sometimes. (But don't we all?)

However, given how the OP took it in, then spit it right back, I'd say it was more than appropriate.

Sometimes people are so caught up in, "they're all the same; they all hate America" that it's worth saying, "no, no they're not." (One need not look further than INGO to see this is true.)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Then perhaps you could point me to one of your many cogent defenses of white, conservative Christians and how they don't all hate [insert favorite downtrodden group here]

If it needs to be said, over and over ad nauseam, that "... they're not all like that" then surely there is a gaping hole in your pantheon of the unjustly stereotyped

Methinks you blur the line between "it can be said ..." and " ... it needs to be said"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Then perhaps you could point me to one of your many cogent defenses of white, conservative Christians and how they don't all hate [insert favorite downtrodden group here]

If it needs to be said, over and over ad nauseam, that "... they're not all like that" then surely there is a gaping hole in your pantheon of the unjustly stereotyped

Methinks you blur the line between "it can be said ..." and " ... it needs to be said"

Is anyone on INGO saying whitey is the devil? Is anyone saying that we should look at all Christians as a monolith?

Is that really a problem here on INGO, Bug?

No. Then I guess no one need state the obvious.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yon Cassius hath a lean and hungry look

No one is not biased. It’s something to strive for, but as possible to get as perfection. Nobody’s perfect, nobody’s unbiased. But, you get past considerations of bias in an argument through reasoning. Make the case.

Who has said they’re unbiased? Overtly. Often.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    46249 members, Jetta. The ones saying all muslims are a monolith are what - five? Ten? What's your preferred generalization masquerading as an accurate count?

So right back at you, either 'failing to honor the nuances of individuality' is a problem if a few, or indeed only one does it; or it's not a problem at all 'here on INGO' and doesn't need to be stated

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No one is not biased. It’s something to strive for, but as possible to get as perfection. Nobody’s perfect, nobody’s unbiased. But, you get past considerations of bias in an argument through reasoning. Make the case.

Who has said they’re unbiased? Overtly. Often.

I will concede the point, that I overstated the case. Rather say "Why do people feel the need to act so sanctimoniously, and is testimony all that is required?"

Edit: And acceding to the desire for maximum accuracy, how many people have stated that they do see all muslims monolithically? And how often is that merely an inference drawn from what they post?

Top Bottom