• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've seen the term sanctimonious thrown about. Just so we lay it out there, you're saying people act as if they're self-righteous. I don't think I've seen many conversations like that on INGO. But, we do talk about moral positions on various topics, and right and wrong. And when you have to sides contending a moral issue in a discussion, both sides will think and argue that they're on the right side. That contention isn't sanctimony. It should be thought of as just discussing ideas. I think that's the right way to look at it anyway.

I'm surprised you say that. I know you're not joking, so the fact that you haven't noticed a significant amount of it (albeit less lately) is not something I expected.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Lulz, well played but you skipped over a few definitiions there at Urban Dictionary, like

KABUKI
    Japanese theatre where only men were allowed to act, even female roles, until ban was recently lifted. Invented in order to allow peasants a theatre of their own, as going to nobles' theatre would result in either having their eyes gouged out or their ears ripped off. Performed in poses rather than fluid action. Often very depressing.

As far as the idea that you can share enlightenment, are you familiar with the koan "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him"

Well I wasn't, I am but a simple ditch digger. After studying it for at least five minutes I am sure that I may understand it less now. But I will just say as a first impression that what we are encountering is not an illusion, and that enlightenment doesn't happen in a vacuum, even in buddhism there are acolytes and masters, hence someone teaching, showing the way, someone learning, and it is not kabuki, made up, or showy, and there is a purpose for correction or encouragement.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm surprised you say that. I know you're not joking, so the fact that you haven't noticed a significant amount of it (albeit less lately) is not something I expected.

I'm not forgetting that I have a horrible memory. So I may just not remember the examples you do. Or it could be that I just interpreted things differently. But you know, I have a horrible memory so it could be that too.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    No. Certainly not the Christians, and I doubt that of the Jewish faith. But the Muslim community? An absolute YES!

I'll just leave this here.....
    (definition, monolith. Note the word 'inflexible' in character)
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/monolith
    I would hope that your 'absolute yes' would be purple but I have a feeling it is not. Why would that group of people be any more uniform than any other group, especially one of that size?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No purple intended.......

Have you read the Quran? In it's entirety???

C'mon. There's a place to litigate that statement. It's got its own thread. Not every Muslim interprets the Quran literally, just as not every Jew interprets the Torah literally, just as not every Christian interprets the Bible literally. I know Muslims who aren't violent. I know Christians who I strongly suspect are violent. I'll agree as far as Muslims tend to be way more dangerous in the world than most other religions. But reality doesn't support that all Muslims are the same.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    No purple intended.......

Have you read the Quran? In it's entirety???
    No, never knowingly laid eyes on a copy.
    You can ask the same question about the Bible if you were trying to paint Christians into a corner. There are some things that we will say don't apply because it's old testament, and some things we just ignore, as a group, but also to different degrees within our different little groups. My friend has explained to me that the muslim world is no different, and that the radicalized are, for now, in the minority.

I know where you're coming from, I have a good friend who feels similarly, and I always encourage him to look where he is getting his information from. Our information systems are becoming radicalized. I try to be very careful about what I take in, and scrutinize everything for ulterior motives.

Just to be clear, I agree that Omar needs to be silenced, and it's a shame her fellow reps don't peer pressure her into at least a little more respect. It's a shame she was voted in, just as AOC. It's a shame that people who "want" to come here don't assimilate, even while holding onto their own faith. I think this is what Ben Franklin was talking about when he said "A republic, if you can keep it".

By the way, have you read through the whole Quran? I can't even get through the book I say that I adhere too, let alone interpret it correctly on my own.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    You can ask the same question about the Bible if you were trying to paint Christians into a corner. There are some things that we will say don't apply because it's old testament, and some things we just ignore, as a group, but also to different degrees within our different little groups. My friend has explained to me that the muslim world is no different, and that the radicalized are, for now, in the minority.

I know where you're coming from, I have a good friend who feels similarly, and I always encourage him to look where he is getting his information from. Our information systems are becoming radicalized. I try to be very careful about what I take in, and scrutinize everything for ulterior motives.

Just to be clear, I agree that Omar needs to be silenced, and it's a shame her fellow reps don't peer pressure her into at least a little more respect. It's a shame she was voted in, just as AOC. It's a shame that people who "want" to come here don't assimilate, even while holding onto their own faith. I think this is what Ben Franklin was talking about when he said "A republic, if you can keep it".

By the way, have you read through the whole Quran? I can't even get through the book I say that I adhere too, let alone interpret it correctly on my own.

I HAVE read the Holy Bible in it's entirety. And conversely, I have read 14 verses in the Quran, that explicitly call for murdering and beheading 'non-believers' of Islam. That's just so far...... there may be many more such verses.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I HAVE read the Holy Bible in it's entirety. And conversely, I have read 14 verses in the Quran, that explicitly call for murdering and beheading 'non-believers' of Islam. That's just so far...... there may be many more such verses.

You can cherry pick some pretty bad stuff in the bible, too.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    You can cherry pick some pretty bad stuff in the bible, too.

Not "cherry picking" sir. When I have more time, I will post/quote actual verses..... that state, basically, death to all whom don't believe in and follow Islam.

One example, for now..... Quran 4:89 "But if they turn renegade (against Islam) seize them and slay them wherever ye find them."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    DISCLAIMER:
    Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of Muslims involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance of the future performance of any specific Muslim.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Not "cherry picking" sir. When I have more time, I will post/quote actual verses..... that state, basically, death to all whom don't believe in and follow Islam.

One example, for now..... Quran 4:89 "But if they turn renegade (against Islam) seize them and slay them wherever ye find them."
    Oh, the words are there, it’s no denying it! Kill the infidels! It’s all there. Not arguing that, just stating that some will drive right by that without looking just like some Christians do OT law.
    Of course when there is a massive enough population in one area to win a big election it would be easy to turn them all towards a similar direction, creating a mob-think mentality, or at least the image of such.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    DISCLAIMER:
    Please remember that past performance may not be indicative of future results. Different types of Muslims involve varying degrees of risk, and there can be no assurance of the future performance of any specific Muslim.

It's a lot like SA. You quickly judge people in your surroundings and assign them a threat level and then act accordingly. While most often the result is no change in normal activity, there is no downside to assigning individuals or groups too high a threat level as long as you reevaluate and adjust as more information becomes available. There is a downside to assigning too low a threat level if you do not reevaluate quickly enough

One's personal opinion of the threat level of a given group doesn't change, only one's assessment of the individuals one knows personally. Like 5 year old girls and their threat to OCing without a retention holster. That some 5 yr olds may not present a danger to you (because they know you) does not mitigate the overall threat the group represents

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You can ask the same question about the Bible if you were trying to paint Christians into a corner. There are some things that we will say don't apply because it's old testament, and some things we just ignore, as a group, but also to different degrees within our different little groups.
    Uh, wait, what?

I get your sentiment, but Christians (excl. liberals) don't pick and choose. We adhere to the whole of the Bible and take it all to be the inerrant word of God. How it's applied is hermaneutics which is why we eat bacon. It's not because we just say, "Oh, that's in the OT, so it doesn't count." No, it's because of my "life verses" Acts 11:4-10.

My friend has explained to me that the muslim world is no different, and that the radicalized are, for now, in the minority.

I tried to read parts of the Book of Mormon, does that count? Good golly that's a dry book.

Just reading it doesn't give you enough to understand it. I mean PaulF has read the Bible, but doesn't understand it the way a theologian would.

I don't have a good Muslim friend that I can sit down and ask tough questions about the Quran, "If the Quran says kill, why don't you kill?" and so forth.

Do Muslims ignore certain things? Have they rationalized it away? Is there some hermaneutics that explains it?

I really don't know enough about it, but I do have a strong suspicion that the "radical" Muslims are the ones adhering to the Quran. Given how the Muslims treat the Quran with overwhelming respect, I would tend to believe that they consider it just as infallible as we consider the Bible, so I'm keen to hear how they address the 14 verses Green touts. As a Christian, I can pretty much address most passages that an opponent would throw at me, so I'd expect there's similar Muslim appologists, though not all.

I HAVE read the Holy Bible in it's entirety.
    See above. Reading =/= understanding. Plenty of folks have read the Bible and come away with a sense that God is a capricious and bloodthirsty.
    And conversely, I have read 14 verses in the Quran, that explicitly call for murdering and beheading 'non-believers' of Islam. That's just so far...... there may be many more such verses.
    You're bragging about reading 14 verses?! You pulled out the old, "Have you read it?" attack and you couldn't even come close to touching the bar?!
    :rofl:

I could cherry pick 140 verses out of the Bible that paint us in an incredibly bad light.

That's the exact definition of cherry picking!

What's the context? What other passages deal with this subject?

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Have a plan to kill everyone in the room. Unless it is a family gathering.

Top Bottom