• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have saved up for a 30 cal can. I had my heart set on a Sandman S or an Omega. I think I have narrowed it to an Omega vs Hybrid decision though. I will be using this can (or would like to) on several AR's, 308 bolt gun, several fals, CETME, and 300blk in the future. I also will be in the market for a handgun can in the future as well, probably either 45 or 9mm. Because of the new executive orders coming down the pipe, I'd like to get on it here pretty soon. My question is, rather than buying two cans, would the Hybrid REALLY be a decent can for everything? While I'm sure there has to be some sort of compromise with a "do it all" can, I don't see much of a compromise in size, weight, or sound. FWIW QD is important to me on the rifles.
    My other thought would be buy the omega, then buy a can for a handgun. I have limited funds, and I'm thinking If I can truly "Do it all" well with one can, that leaves more left over for some SBR paperwork. Selling the wife on spending 2k for suppressors might be a little daunting...
    (All numbers were pulled from their respective websites)

Any help is appreciated!

rhino400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Delaware County
    I ended up going with the Hybrid because I am willing to have a can that is a little louder but more versatile. Main hosts for my can will be my FNX 45 tactical and my 300 Blackout SBR. I like the fact that the Hybrid is rated for both sub and super sonic 300 blackout.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    If you can swing 2, get the Omega and Obsidian.

If only 1, get the Hybrid, as it can do everything you want, like you said.

I have all 3 in NFA jail right now. Omega should be released any day.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Paid for a Hybrid today! Thanks Rhino for the help locating one! I'll call a shop and work on a transfer tomorrow. Thanks for your replies! I figured I'd cover my bases first if I end up only getting one can. My wife hasn't objected too much yet, so I MIGHT try for two, but I'm not too optimistic. If I went for two I'd go Omega I think.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I bought an Omega and I love it... I tried to buy a Hybrid on Saturday but my LGS can't get them at the moment. As soon as he can he will have my money though!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am back to this thread because I'm kind of talking myself out of buying a hybrid and just buying a 45 can like an osprey or the Dead Air Ghost 45M... I've got an Omega, a 556 can, and a 22 can already.... What to do INGO!? Buy both I know will be the answer, but what first???

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    It would be hard to pass the Hybrid up. It seems to do a lot well. It probably won't meter as good as the Osprey, but I'd sacrifice a bit to have another can that can be ran on a rifle. It almost seems like you're getting two cans in one.

That being said, I love my Osprey.

Edit to add: Buy both!

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I am back to this thread because I'm kind of talking myself out of buying a hybrid and just buying a 45 can like an osprey or the Dead Air Ghost 45M... I've got an Omega, a 556 can, and a 22 can already.... What to do INGO!? Buy both I know will be the answer, but what first???

Sounds like you definitely need a dedicated pistol can. I ordered the obsidian a few weeks ago. The Ghost uses a wipe, and I haven't seen any real life number on it yet.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Sounds like you definitely need a dedicated pistol can. I ordered the obsidian a few weeks ago. The Ghost uses a wipe, and I haven't seen any real life number on it yet.

Yeah, I've been waiting on the numbers... I have heard that the wipe reduces things another 5db though and makes the short configuration as quiet as the long... Depending on how it sounds like I'll end up with a Ghost or Osprey if I had to guess in addition to a hybrid.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I probably could have gotten a second can (maybe an omega and a pistol can) approved by my wife, however the versatility was just too much to pass on with the Hybrid. While not maybe perfect at everything, it was way worth the compromise to me. Granted I don't already have a center fire can. My opinion may have changed if I did, but I doubt it. If I had an Omega already, it would be tough to pass up another can capable of suppressing a rifle.... I've never wanted a big lever action rifle so bad as now either.
    By getting the one can, it will allow me 2 more SBR's, and hopefully a form 1 can in the near future. I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Top Bottom