• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    These photos came through my work email today from our location in Lansing, MI. I'm not sure where the trip started but apparently the owner is going to attempt the haul to Colorado. They sure don't build cars like they used to. Anyone want to try this with a late model Impala or Chrysler 300?
    Picture197.jpg

Picture196.jpg

Picture195.jpg

Picture194.jpg

Picture193.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Airplanes, by definition, are built to be as light as possible, and those are especially light without engines, but DANG! :eek:

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm guessing that is fun to try to control with a cross wind!

Whatcha think he's got there, maybe 12,000 - 14,000 lbs ish? I'd say that load certainly puts him in 1ton pick-up truck territory or more.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm guessing that is fun to try to control with a cross wind!

Whatcha think he's got there, maybe 12,000 - 14,000 lbs ish? I'd say that load certainly puts him in 1ton pick-up truck territory or more.

With the engines, those probably weigh closer to 3,500 lbs each. Without, considerably less. So, call it 3 tons plus the weight of the trailers.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wow, I was way off, wasn't I. I was thinking stripped fuselage was maybe 5k each, and added a 1000lbs per trailer.

I don't know exactly what type of aircraft those are, but a Piper Seneca (a similar type) is about 2900 lbs when fully fueled and ready to roll. Regardless, still seems like a very dangerous way to haul those aircraft. Is having those trailers tandemed even legal?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Is having those trailers tandemed even legal?

Yes. double's (2 trailers) are legal in most states, and trip's (3) are legal in several.
    We used to see them a lot back when I camped with my parents. Usually a pickup, pulling a 5th' wheel, with a trailer with a couple of 4 wheelers hooked to the back, then a boat on a trailer hooked to the back of that.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I don't know exactly what type of aircraft those are, but a Piper Seneca (a similar type) is about 2900 lbs when fully fueled and ready to roll. Regardless, still seems like a very dangerous way to haul those aircraft. Is having those trailers tandemed even legal?

I know that its legal to haul doubles like that w/out a cdl but my concern is with the width of the whole veh. I'd be willing to bet the farm that those planes on the trlrs are wider than 102". those lanes in the rest area are 12' wide and the sides of the planes are over each line on both sides from my view.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Top Bottom