• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lakeman62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Syracuse area
    I have found a pistol on Armslist that I want to purchase, I'm new at this type of purchase and the seller is a good ways away from my location. any advise on the best way to complete this transaction so I don't get scammed:dunno:? Thanks

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Contact your LGS and see what they charge and the procedure. Since it's out of state it has to go through an FFL. They should already have a procedure in place.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    No buyer is going to go for that. There are escrow services available if you look around the net.

The real question is: are you saving enough by buying off of Armslist to justify not looking locally? If the deal is too good to be true, you're probably getting scammed.

It only takes one bad transaction to ruin your day.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    So you are saying to wait until it is received at my FFL before sending funds?

If the shipper would agree to that, then yes.

Allow the shipper to choose an FFL in your area. Then YOU verify that it's a real-deal FFL and not "just a buddy in on it".

When you're all kosher on the FFL - then move forward.

When you get to the FFL - inspect the firearm. Then you can go ahead and do the money shipment/transfer/etc. The FFL may also be able to act as a "witness" on the shipper's behalf. A speaker-phone phone call to the shipper between you, FFL, and shipper can help. Smart phones being able to transfer funds or do a PayPal transaction would be a HUGE plus.

The transfer fee would probably be higher in this instance if all parties agree to it. It would indeed be a bit more work on the part of the FFL to act as a deal-broker.

This is why I personally won't do private firearms sales involving shipping - out of trepidation of coming out a loser. That is, of course, unless I know and trust someone beforehand.

Lakeman62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Syracuse area
    I would love to purchase locally but it is not in stock anywhere especially now, I've been looking for 4 months. finally had one pop up on the radar.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    What exactly are you looking for? Mentioning it here may surprise you in that a lot of people read these boards and my know of one that you do not.

As far as the seller being a long ways away, if they are out state you have to go through an FFL. Not that you do not already know that, i just want to be certain you do not have that problem.

If they are in state, i would take the time to drive there, maybe have them meet you part of the way. Gives them an incentive to disclose everything they know so you do not cancel the deal because of some minor defect. Shipping and transfer costs through an FFL or two will be $50+ so why not take a drive?

If face to face is not an option, i would insist on paypal. Easy way to dispute if you do get put over the barrel. I purchased a pistol online that the seller listed as having a broken firing pin, a $5 part. Get the pistol and the firing pin was OK, it was the breech that was broken. So, he tells me that he had a gunsmith look at it and thats what he was told. I am not a gunsmith, but it is plainly obvious that the breech is screwed. So he offers a return and he will refund what i paid plus the cost to ship it to me. After looking into it, it would have cost me just under sixty to send it back to him. Add that to the thirty it cost me here for the transfer, plus thirteen for the background check, i am out almost a c note.
    Take it for what it is worth. I would meet face to face if at all possible.

Lakeman62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Syracuse area
    It's a CZ 40P and the guy is 10 hours away. Great information. thanks for the advise. I've been told Paypal will insure the transaction if it goes bad.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    It's a CZ 40P and the guy is 10 hours away. Great information. thanks for the advise. I've been told Paypal will insure the transaction if it goes bad.

I think paypal freezes all accounts and transactions if they find out a firearm is involved.

:twocents:

I heard it on the internet so take it for what its worth.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw

I would not use PayPal as a payment method. If anything goes sour during the deal and they catch wind that its anything to do with firearms they will most likely drop the case regardless. I would attempt to get the seller to sent to FFL to inspect, then send the funds.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have a CZ 40P for sale in the classifieds here. I am about an hour away from you. Is there something special about his that is different than mine? If it is the one in Springfield it is $100 more. I am not trying to be snarky, just wondering if I missed something.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Did not know that about Paypal. I have used it for purchases through gunbroker. It was only about 2 months ago, but I guess they jumped ship.

Starved Rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    gunsamerica.com gives the following warning -

"Paypal is not an option. Please do not attempt to use it to pay for or to get paid for GunsAmerica sales. Paypal is violently anti-gun and has suspended and frozen thousands of legitimate gun seller accounts over the years. If Paypal catches you taking or making a payment for a gun, your account will be shut off immediately and both parties’ accounts will be frozen for at least 60 days. Any money in those accounts will be unavailable for that time, and sometimes you have to jump through several hoops to get your money out at all."
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/gun...as-exclusive-form-of-non-credit-card-payment/

seabassz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I do this personally all the time.

Have seller identify his local FFL. Contact his FFL and see if he is willing to act as the broker. Mail payment payable to seller along with your local FFL's copy to seller's FFL with the understanding that payment is not delivered until goods are delivered to his FFL for shipment. Make sure to include an inventory list if you are buying a gun with ammo, dies, accessories, etc. Works seemlessly from there. Good luck.

Top Bottom