• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just ordered all my reloading equipment, and it should be here on the 2nd of August. I have a couple of places to check for bullets, primers, and powder. I can not wait to get started and do some testing.

I ordered everything from Midway
    1. Frankford arsenal impact bullet puller: PN 215517
    2. Frankford aresnal flip top ammo boxes: PN 589482
    3. Frankford arsenal Quick-N-EZ case tumbler: PN 414369
    4. Lee deluxe carbide 4 die set: PN 885350
    5. Lee breach lock quick change bushings (2 sets): PN 971565
    6. Lee challenger breech lock single stage press kit: PN 121744
    7. Lyman 49th edition reloading manual: PN 217655

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Do everything right and Item #1 will collect a lot of dust. :D

What caliber? If we have talked about this before, please forgive me. I forget things.

I will be loading 9mm plinking rounds for now. If I shoot some matches next year, I'll want to load my own for that. Once I know what I'm doing, .223 is next on my list. I'll also want to develop loads for my Savage specifically. I'm thinking Ranier bullets, CCI primers, and Tighgroup powder. I still have some looking to do.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Welcome to the world of reloading. When you start developing loads for your rifle, purchase a powder trickler. It will help to dial (trickle) your loads in. Midway has a good price and reviews on the RCBS powder trickler. The Lee Second Edition manual is also a nice manual to have on hand. Some powder and bullet manufactures have load info on their websites.

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    I started reloading a year ago and have become addicted. It is awesome to be able to build loads for individual rifles as well as save some $ on .223 and pistol loads for plinking.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    A stuck case remover (RCBS#09340) is something you need on a reloading bench. Hopefully you will never need to use it, but if the need arised you have it. I reloaded for years without a stuck case remover, then it happened. Shut me down for a few days to get one. If I had one on hand, it would have taken 15 minutes to be back up and reloading. Universal Decap Die is also nice to have on hand along with extra decaping pins for both the decaping die and the reloading dies your using. A case trimmer and a dial caliper will be needed when reloading rifle cases.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Be sure to have a bushing for each die. Then all you need to adjust is the bullet seating stem for new bullets.
    Might want to get Lee's book also. Gives a lot of information for using Lee equipment and has a large compilation of loads from various sources.
    With a beam balance, mount it at eye level and make sure it can't move. Once you have zeroed it, any movement will ruin the zero. Spend a little time weighing bullets to get used to the "verier" readings on the balance.
    Follow each and every instruction Lee gives. Very important.
    For the perfect powder measure, if your kit has one, the unit has two cone surfaces that rub against each other. Often, particularly when new, the powder measure will leak powder. Work at least a full hopper of powder (that contains graphite like most of the Alliant powders) through the measure. You can also simply work some powdered graphite through the measure. Place a sheet of paper under it to collect the powder. When you empty the measure, take it apart, clean it, and adjust the tension. Do NOT adjust the tension while the measure is dispensing powder as that will simply lock powder kernels between the two conical surfaces and your leak will get worse.
    Over time, the conical surface "polish" themselves and form a better fit and leakage will reduce.
    Watch the videos at leeprecision.com and go to YouTube.

woodsman07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Many great ideas have been mentioned above.

Let me add my two cents.

Get as many reloading manuals as you can. Don't forget about on-line manuals from powder manufactures.

And perhaps the most important in my opinion, good accurate record keeping. Once you have a load worked up its nice to be able to repeat it. Be it tomorrow next week or next year.

You have started a new life long hobby, enjoy!

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I never understood the advice to get 3 or more reloading manuals. I borrowed one from the library, read it, it was interesting, but not something I'd need to memorize. I am finding that load information is easy to get from other sources: It comes with the press and dies (I have lee dies) It's on the side of the powder container, The powder company's website, etc.

I am glad I didn't spend $80 getting three or more manuals.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    I never understood the advice to get 3 or more reloading manuals. I borrowed one from the library, read it, it was interesting, but not something I'd need to memorize. I am finding that load information is easy to get from other sources: It comes with the press and dies (I have lee dies) It's on the side of the powder container, The powder company's website, etc.

I am glad I didn't spend $80 getting three or more manuals.

That is impressive, to get a working knowledge of all the princibles, the quirks of each caliber and a total understanding of balistics and all the information in the balistic tables from reading one book.

I'm not that quick, only been at it for thirty years and only load 24 calibers. I can't seem to go to my reloading bench without consulting at least a couple manuals.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    That is impressive, to get a working knowledge of all the princibles, the quirks of each caliber and a total understanding of balistics and all the information in the balistic tables from reading one book.

I'm not that quick, only been at it for thirty years and only load 24 calibers. I can't seem to go to my reloading bench without consulting at least a couple manuals.

Thank you.

The manual I read was quite comprehensive, and I'm not loading anything exotic or fancy.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana

I believe that the reason you need to refresh yourself with a manual each time you begin a reloading session is that you do reload so many calibers. I only reload 1 right now and I can remember everything I need to know.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Quick Study!!!!

^^^+100....jtb, I've been pulling a press handle since "71" or "72", and I also have not got that good yet either. I load around 15/16 hand gun calibers+ a dozen or so rifle calibers, and I also have to use more than several books/manuals.
    Oh well--SOME people are just smarter than others..???Bill..

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I just started using Titegroup in my 9mm loads and I like it a lot. I think you will be happy with it as it is fairly clean compared to some other powders. If you don't like Titegroup, I'd try Bullseye next as it is available almost anywhere that sells powder. It's more dirty than Titegroup though.

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    When I went to the Indy Gun Show, I found lots of reloading stuff.
    Also (when I bought powder) I would get free manuals from powder manufacturers.
    They were free and added those to my other reloading manuals.
    I also use www.handloads.com. They have what people have loaded and results.
    Can never have enough information about reloading guidlines.

Top Bottom