• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    My 13 Silverado is only at 83k but I sure hope it last to 200k although I'll likely not keep it that long. So far it's been the most trouble free truck I've had. Only problems have been a sway bar end link broke and it had bubbling paint on the inside of the doors. The doors were fixed under warranty, I think it was poor surface prep before paint because it wasn't a rust issue. It's about due front brakes but I'll see if I can put that off to spring, I don't like working in a cold garage :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    2001 Explorer Sport...

20201031-193244-1.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My truck is in a sweet spot after the original brake line problems and before the 2014-2018 brake line problems.

Mine was dead nuts in the mix. Repaired 2 lines only to see they all needed changed. Tough job. Lift the body off the frame to get at the top of the anit-lock unit where everything centralized.
    The new stainless pre-bent kits were in stock. Go figure.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    I went over 300k in my '02 Chevy Avalanche on 8-26 and the next day my alternator went kaput, go figure! A quick fix and I'm still rolling right at about 303K now. Its starting to rust out quite a bit now and I have a terrible oil leak but it still runs and drives strong.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    We are at 196,000 in our son's 2003 Tahoe. It did suffer the brake line rot, which happened while Mrs. MarkC was driving down our hill. Fortunately, her father made her learn to use the parking brake in an emergency (with practice sessions)!

I've been cleaning it up and servicing for him to take when he gets back from Army basic training/advanced individual training. Nothing in the way of repairs, just maintenance, like a four wheel brake job (teenager driven over the last three years, so go figure).

I'm a Ford guy, but this truck has proven its worth. I have no qualms sending him out into the world with it.

Since we've owned it (bought at 40,000 miles) it has been nothing but Mobil1, but we've used AC/Delco filters.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are at 196,000 in our son's 2003 Tahoe. It did suffer the brake line rot, which happened while Mrs. MarkC was driving down our hill. Fortunately, her father made her learn to use the parking brake in an emergency (with practice sessions)!

I've been cleaning it up and servicing for him to take when he gets back from Army basic training/advanced individual training. Nothing in the way of repairs, just maintenance, like a four wheel brake job (teenager driven over the last three years, so go figure).

I'm a Ford guy, but this truck has proven its worth. I have no qualms sending him out into the world with it.

Since we've owned it (bought at 40,000 miles) it has been nothing but Mobil1, but we've used AC/Delco filters.

This entire thread is a testament to the positives of basic and regular maint.
    Change the oil and use good products. It kills me when cheap (a word I see on Ingo all to often) people buy cheap crap and then justify the cheapness by saying...."Oil is oil" same with brakes and tire rotations. Tune ups and filters.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Change the oil and use good products. It kills me when cheap (a word I see on Ingo all to often) people buy cheap crap and then justify the cheapness by saying...."Oil is oil" same with brakes and tire rotations. Tune ups and filters.

I've been in the parts industry almost 20 years, and a lot of this is true, some of it is malarkey. Oil really is oil, stick with a major manufacturer and you're good to go. House brands from Napa and Speedway are made by Valvoline and are good oils. Some are better than others based on driving habits. <---This is most of the difference. Spend the money on a good filter, no matter what oil is used. #1 Wix, #2 Purolator Gold, #3 Bosch, #4 Motorcraft. If you feel the need to spend :spend: on a filter k&n, mobil1, royal purple are good, too. ACDelco filters are junk, just look how they're made. Also at the bottom of the list are Fram & STP.

Bottom line is keep it changed. :twocents:

Brakes are altogether a different conversation...

TitanUp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2020
    Carmel
    Congrats. Chevy trucks definitely are the best option for domestic trucks. They last the longest with the least amount of problems!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This thread motivated me to put some parts and pieces on my old truck.

2004 GMC Z-71 Sierra. 5.3 150K on the clock.

What you can expect to fail with time and miles. We already did the break lines and basic maint.
    Add to this a remanf. transfer case. My fault on that failure not GM's.

The simple stuff...

Headlight assembly's. Ordered these when this thread came up. Existing were a fogged over mess. Easy peasy 2 pins and done. Will aim them after dark.
    8GPHavK.jpg

Tail lights. Same order with the head lights but a bit more to install. Existing were fogged over.
    eAWxGdx.jpg

The drivers side mirror lost the magic fluid that was the dimming agent. Another easy enough replacement.
    Y8oRCoc.jpg

The light controllers. These will just act stupid as they age. Easy fix and again not all that expensive.
    hT8HhBn.jpg

The gauge package on these trucks will loose their minds at a point. Re-man parts are available and this cluster was from a reputable distributor. A lot easier to install than you might think. I did this and the light control in 30 minutes.
    ls7eSr5.jpg

Tomorrow it gets a left front wheel bearing and possibly a new set of shoes.
    With 150K on the clock and being serviced on a tight schedule I will get to that elusive 200K.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Most of you guys are a lot more mechanic oriented than I. I take care of small stuff, but the deep things are out of my understanding.

I have found that well seasoned vehicles really really like spending their time at rest in the garage vs out in the weather continually. Rain, snow, salt aside, temp swings from day to night and condensation seem to really want to keep killing components.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This thread motivated me to put some parts and pieces on my old truck.

2004 GMC Z-71 Sierra. 5.3 150K on the clock.

What you can expect to fail with time and miles. We already did the break lines and basic maint.
    Add to this a remanf. transfer case. My fault on that failure not GM's.

The simple stuff...

Headlight assembly's. Ordered these when this thread came up. Existing were a fogged over mess. Easy peasy 2 pins and done. Will aim them after dark.
    8GPHavK.jpg

Tail lights. Same order with the head lights but a bit more to install. Existing were fogged over.
    eAWxGdx.jpg

The drivers side mirror lost the magic fluid that was the dimming agent. Another easy enough replacement.
    Y8oRCoc.jpg

The light controllers. These will just act stupid as they age. Easy fix and again not all that expensive.
    hT8HhBn.jpg

The gauge package on these trucks will loose their minds at a point. Re-man parts are available and this cluster was from a reputable distributor. A lot easier to install than you might think. I did this and the light control in 30 minutes.
    ls7eSr5.jpg

Tomorrow it gets a left front wheel bearing and possibly a new set of shoes.
    With 150K on the clock and being serviced on a tight schedule I will get to that elusive 200K.

Maintenance is always "cheap"- in the long run. Most repairs are pretty inexpensive other than if you have to replace an engine or transmission.

For my next truck, I kinda want a 4x4, but I've had this truck forever and never really had a situation where 4wd was make or break. I put 6 sand bags in the back and go. Not having 4wd saves me when I buy and saves on maintenance and repair. Theoretically, it saves on gas mileage, but I will ONLY have a NA V8 in my 1/2 ton, so gas mileage isn't that big a concern for me. It is what it is. I (obviously) care more about longevity and reliability than mileage, so a V8 it is.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I gotta fully agree on taking care of vehicles, regular maintenance goes a long way.

I recently had a Blackstone oil analysis done on my ISB Cummins(522,429mi). Only thing of slight concern was the aluminum was 8ppm (average is 3ppm). I have always used Fleetguard filters and Shell Rotella oil.

Now if I could only figure out how much life is left on the VP44, that would give me a little peace of mind.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I gotta fully agree on taking care of vehicles, regular maintenance goes a long way.

I recently had a Blackstone oil analysis done on my ISB Cummins(522,429mi). Only thing of slight concern was the aluminum was 8ppm (average is 3ppm). I have always used Fleetguard filters and Shell Rotella oil.

Now if I could only figure out how much life is left on the VP44, that would give me a little peace of mind.

Are you running a oil bypass filtration system?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Tubey the racecar has 224k miles on it. Granted, that's prettry much the shell, interior and wiring harness at this point. Dad's 03 Silverado is sitting at just shy of 230k, our 06 at 122k. The "newest" car for us is 90k.

The big one was dad's 91 9C1 caprice. He sold it with 310k showing on the odometer. It drover for 4 years without that working. Changed sparke plugs enough that the #8 hole was going to need threads before long. The guy he sold it to put another 100k miles on it before getting rear ended. Cop cars are beasts.

lrdudley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Took me a few weeks to catch up. 2004 Chevy Classic (old style Malibu). Had 12,000 miles on it when we purchased it and it was a rental car. Took an extra side trip on the way home from work last night so I wouldn't have to stop by the side of the road today to take the picture.
    414494440.jpg

Top Bottom