• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Let me tell you a story and something that impressed me on Saturday at the 1500.

I had a customer and this little boy is 13 yrs old and he wanted a knife.
    I already had the knife put back for him. This knife is an ESEE Junglas.
    I sell this knife usually for $165. Most men cannot afford this knife. They want it but just can't swing the money.
    So up to the table walks a whole family, parents with 3 kids. The boy who is named Dakota Kinnards tells me he is there for his knife. I get his knife out and I tell him the price and he counts his money along with supervision from the father. :yesway: That's a lot of money for a kid to count.
    He hands me the money and I hand him the knife. The smile on his face was priceless.
    Now mind you he has saved up his money for months and has disciplined himself to hang onto it till he can buy this knife or until he decided what he really wanted.
    I just have to say

DAKOTA YOUR AWESOME

Thank you for showing me there are still some kids who will work and save their money for what they want. Great lesson in life is to learn the value of money.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I saved $400 babysitting and mowing lawns as a teenager (1999 @ 14-15 yo) for a $250 5 speaker stereo and $150 subwoofer for my bedroom. They were my most prized possession for years and are still in my top ten favorite things I own to this day.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Thanks Knife Lady, he is very proud of his knife. I had to talk him out of spending his money a few times, he wanted a nintendo dsixl too. I just had to remind him how much he liked to run around in our woods to change his mind. I'm glad he waited because now he has something that he will have the rest of his life and I'm sure he will build a lot of great memories with it.
    I will make sure he sees this thread, thanks for the post!:yesway: :)
    8577ee93.jpg

838fcbbe.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6MeBCLHBXI[/ame]

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I saved $400 babysitting and mowing lawns as a teenager (1999 @ 14-15 yo) for a $250 5 speaker stereo and $150 subwoofer for my bedroom. They were my most prized possession for years and are still in my top ten favorite things I own to this day.

Similar vibes here, my first summer de-tasseling I was 13, and the money was all earmarked for a shotgun to hunt with dad and grandpa.

6 weeks of cut hands, sunburn, and exhaustion later, a brand new Remington 870 Express Magnum combo was mine for the low low price of $300+tax. THOSE were the days! (that would be... 1992/1993) I had my 28" barrel for squirrel with grandpa (unfortunately he passed before I got to hunt "my" gun with him), and the 21" smoothbore with sights for deer with dad....

The gun is still around, and I still take deer with it. Remington Coppersolids don't miss...

Elfboy26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 18, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Somebody Rep Kinnards80 for me. I'm out. Thanks for being one of the smart parents out there. I used to teach middle school. Believe me, the good parents like you are in the minority.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Congrats on the knife, somebody get him some pictures of ironjaw so he knows what not to do.

Just take a look at the pictures kinnards80 has posted of Dakota using his new ESEE Junglas. His off hand is tucked behind his back and totally out of the way of the blade swing area. Dakota was at the INGO-Chop IN and witness in person what can happen if proper safety techniques are not used. I'm sure that kinnards80 and Hotpocket have had several talks with him about safety. The first thing I noticed when I saw the pics was his off hand tucked behind his back....good job by the parents.:yesway:

NOTE: I see a future Chop-IN competitor in the making! :D

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Just take a look at the pictures kinnards80 has posted of Dakota using his new ESEE Junglas. His off hand is tucked behind his back and totally out of the way of the blade swing area. Dakota was at the INGO-Chop IN and witness in person what can happen if proper safety techniques are not used. I'm sure that kinnards80 and Hotpocket have had several talks with him about safety. The first thing I noticed when I saw the pics was his off hand tucked behind his back....good job by the parents.:yesway:

NOTE: I see a future Chop-IN competitor in the making! :D

I very much noticed Brad, excellent form but in my line of work I catch myself all the time telling guys that have been in the field for 20 years they made a rookie mistake. It happens to the best of us, it just takes one slip especially if tyler has sharpened the knife. I'll admit it I cut myself the other day because I wasn't paying attention and I am very thankful I have been too lazy to mail my knives to tyler for sharpening otherwise I would be missing the end of my pinky. My warning wasn't snide just the way I was raised to always err on the side of caution and offering advice as a fellow parent.

Hotwired

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Kudo to Dakota, that knife will far at last any Nintendo any day. I am glad to see that his parents support him and instilled the value of saving to buy something quality instead of what my kids do and ask for everything to be handed to them. I am trying but the EX makes it hard with my youngest, buying her anything that she desires. That is an awesome knife Dakota.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    kinnards don't set him up for failure. hold the log lol, nothing worse than hitting stuff that moves :).

snowman i assure you kinnards and hotpocket were watching him very closely. they are that type of parent (u know the good kind :)

again very good stuff going on in this thread. i think kids who hunt, fish, play in the woods doing bushcraft ect tend to be much better kids :)

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I very much noticed Brad, excellent form but in my line of work I catch myself all the time telling guys that have been in the field for 20 years they made a rookie mistake. It happens to the best of us, it just takes one slip especially if tyler has sharpened the knife. I'll admit it I cut myself the other day because I wasn't paying attention and I am very thankful I have been too lazy to mail my knives to tyler for sharpening otherwise I would be missing the end of my pinky. My warning wasn't snide just the way I was raised to always err on the side of caution and offering advice as a fellow parent.

I didn't take your comment as coming across "snide". You are absolutely correct about re-enforcing safety. No matter what level of experience you have, you need to take a time out once in awhile and update/re-think safety issues no matter what it is....knives, firearms.....etc.

I have been dealing and collecting knives for over 30 years. I handle over 500 knives every week (opening and closing them at the shows). You would think I would be pretty good about not cutting myself...but the truth is I will nick/cut myself (nothing serious) about every other week....and that's why Knife Lady always has a good supply of ban aids with her. :D

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    See, that's the way kids should be. If they earn what they want, it means so much more to them . . . and a HUGE:+1: to Dakota for being a savvy kid!

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    My faith in parenting and the youth of today has been restored. There are still some good ones out there. :yesway: Keep listening to your parents Dakota, you have the makings of a find young man!!! :)

Top Bottom