• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    While not addressing the military equipment, I have an observation on police uniforms. Over the years I have noticed the color change from almost baby blue to black. I have also seen a public perception on what behavior to expect from law enforcement deteriorate from "to serve and protect" to "kill us all and let God sort it out!". It's my subjective observation that the darker the uniform gets, the greater the corruption/brutality we will tolerate from them. It's as if they weren't police on patrol but soldiers on patrol.

Now I don't know if there is ACTUALLY any difference in the professionalism and actions that police take today. Somehow, after watching footage from the '60s, I don't think they could get any rougher than back then. The public attitude however has changed considerably. Way back when an officer was more respected. Today it's quite accepted to rip police viciously right in public.

I have to wonder if the more police uniforms resemble the uniforms of the Waffen SS, the more we treat them like they WERE the Waffen SS. Perhaps it's the other way around, maybe people who BEHAVE like the waffen SS prefer darker colors. I don't have any facts or figures, but It's something that I have been considering for many years.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    While not addressing the military equipment, I have an observation on police uniforms. Over the years I have noticed the color change from almost baby blue to black. I have also seen a public perception on what behavior to expect from law enforcement deteriorate from "to serve and protect" to "kill us all and let God sort it out!". It's my subjective observation that the darker the uniform gets, the greater the corruption/brutality we will tolerate from them. It's as if they weren't police on patrol but soldiers on patrol.

Now I don't know if there is ACTUALLY any difference in the professionalism and actions that police take today. Somehow, after watching footage from the '60s, I don't think they could get any rougher than back then. The public attitude however has changed considerably. Way back when an officer was more respected. Today it's quite accepted to rip police viciously right in public.

I have to wonder if the more police uniforms resemble the uniforms of the Waffen SS, the more we treat them like they WERE the Waffen SS. Perhaps it's the other way around, maybe people who BEHAVE like the waffen SS prefer darker colors. I don't have any facts or figures, but It's something that I have been considering for many years.

You're reading too much into it. During the time you mentioned, it was also acceptable to wear a baby blue, plaid, or mint green business suit. Today... Black, blue, or gray. Unless one thinks that stockbrokers have become more SS-like too.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

IMO there is no more police brutality today and there most certainly has to be less corruption. In fact I think we have better oversight of and training for our officers. Law Enforcement has become a very professional career and society expects a lot from our officers. They are protectors, first responders, and community representatives. Overall I would say that most people hold LEOs in high regard. I think some officers feel under appreciated because they have to deal with that small percentage of people who are breaking laws or don't want to have others exhibit authority over them. That is not to say that there are not bad apples in every lot. I am of the opinion that there are a certain number of people who are just willing to do bad things or abuse the powers of their position. Doesn't matter if they are LE, clergy, politicians..... Anytime we grant authority of one group of people over another group a "rift" will develop and somebody will use their position for personal gain. That is human nature and that is why we have laws, rules and procedures.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    You're reading too much into it. During the time you mentioned, it was also acceptable to wear a baby blue, plaid, or mint green business suit. Today... Black, blue, or gray. Unless one thinks that stockbrokers have become more SS-like too.

Now that you mention it, our economy has been subjected to a Holocaust, six million jobs lost. Most people blame bankers and the stock market.

IMO there is no more police brutality today and there most certainly has to be less corruption. In fact I think we have better oversight of and training for our officers. Law Enforcement has become a very professional career and society expects a lot from our officers. They are protectors, first responders, and community representatives. Overall I would say that most people hold LEOs in high regard. I think some officers feel under appreciated because they have to deal with that small percentage of people who are breaking laws or don't want to have others exhibit authority over them. That is not to say that there are not bad apples in every lot. I am of the opinion that there are a certain number of people who are just willing to do bad things or abuse the powers of their position. Doesn't matter if they are LE, clergy, politicians..... Anytime we grant authority of one group of people over another group a "rift" will develop and somebody will use their position for personal gain. That is human nature and that is why we have laws, rules and procedures.

I believe that you are probably right, except for the way people perceive officers. It's plain to see that the requirements to be an officer are fairly strict, yet look at the the discussions that we have right here on INGO. In the '60s you would never hear people run down police like they do today. Our entire culture has been programmed to distrust the guys in black uniforms. Hollywood uses the black uniform as the universal symbol of evil..... The gunslinger cowboy always wears black. The worst guys in Starwars had Nazi-esque uniforms.

The trouble is that if you were to compare a WW2 era photograph of a German staff meeting with news footage of several police officers sorting out a natural disaster, You wouldn't be able to tell them apart. I have to wonder if we aren't conditioned to despise the black uniforms as a cultural phenomenon. Don't get me wrong, I am not calling police Nazi's (I would call them JBT's if anything), I am saying that the more their uniforms RESEMBLE Nazi uniforms, the more contempt we load onto their backs. Sure they LOOK pretty cool, But is there a social impact?

And if all that weren't bad enough, just TRY to eat one powdered doughnut while wearing a nice jet-black suit......... The baby blue would never show it!.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think people today are conditioned to blame everybody but themselves for their own stupid actions. Has nothing to do with the uniforms and everything to do with not teaching kids to respect people.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think people today are conditioned to blame everybody but themselves for their own stupid actions. Has nothing to do with the uniforms and everything to do with not teaching kids to respect people.

I learned on INGO that we're supposed to challenge authority....in every way....at every level....for any reason or none at all.

My whole point about the uniforms, again, is the PR angle. Nothing more.

BTW- comfort isn't the be-all, -end-all of what we wear what we wear. Sometimes we wear what we wear to project a certain image. Are we projecting friendly neighborhood officer here to help, or not? Perception IS reality in the PR game. Fair or not, police need to think about PR.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The one thing I've noticed is there isn't the image of your friendly neighborhood police officer anymore. The idea if you have a problem you can always talk to Officer Friendly when he's walking the beat and he'll help you out.

That doesn't happen anymore. People are afraid of talking to the cops for whatever reason now.

And whatever happened to patrol officers?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It depends on where you live, to some degree. I don't get concerned with blackout ninja or Eagle Scout badge buddy uniforms on the other extreme. But, it does appear we are using SWAT in more situations that used to be dealt with fairly effectively by patrol officers or detectives.

The real concern is the abuse of power, brutality, corruption and limitations on the patrol officer to have a wide degree of discretion. Abuse, etc., is notorious and hits the media, but it is not widespread imho. I know a number of cops and all of them are very decent guys.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    What I like is the small town officer who wears the SWAT gear for normal traffic stops. Take Bainbridge Indiana. I was eating in the Bon Ton out there last summer when in walked a cross between Rambo and Mad Max. I swear, I about spit out my coke when I saw it. Truly one of the funniest spectacles I had ever witnessed. Jack boots, Flak Vest, Holster tied down to his leg, Trinkets and Militaria strapped all over him. Mags tucked away all over the place. This guy was a minister of death praying for a confrontation. I was surprised he didnt have one of those heads up displays made out of glasses, but he did have the Icom surveillance earpiece in.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The author makes a good point, in my opinion. There is a viable need for adaptation by law enforcement, and the move toward military-style training and equipment is quite logical. His reference to "what is currently available to the general public" has merit, as I'm still waiting to see the valid justification for a department possessing an MRAP.

If only for the fact that they are being GIVEN the MRAPS free instead of scrapping them I'm not entirely against it. I LIKE my tax dollars used wisely. I don't want that MRAP sold for scrap only for a local PD at the same time to have to spend 6 figures for a SWAT truck to do the same thing. That's wasting both my federal taxes AND my state or local taxes.

then again, some might say it's all part of the grand scheme of the oppression. (Cue the tinfoil)

I learned on INGO that we're supposed to challenge authority....in every way....at every level....for any reason or none at all.

My whole point about the uniforms, again, is the PR angle. Nothing more.

BTW- comfort isn't the be-all, -end-all of what we wear what we wear. Sometimes we wear what we wear to project a certain image. Are we projecting friendly neighborhood officer here to help, or not? Perception IS reality in the PR game. Fair or not, police need to think about PR.

exactly. SWAT is supposed to scare the crap outta you. It's a mind game. Put the bad guy on edge from the start. Same reason they come in screaming, flash bangs, etc. It's to get you to freak out and lose concentration.

What I like is the small town officer who wears the SWAT gear for normal traffic stops. Take Bainbridge Indiana. I was eating in the Bon Ton out there last summer when in walked a cross between Rambo and Mad Max. I swear, I about spit out my coke when I saw it. Truly one of the funniest spectacles I had ever witnessed. Jack boots, Flak Vest, Holster tied down to his leg, Trinkets and Militaria strapped all over him. Mags tucked away all over the place. This guy was a minister of death praying for a confrontation. I was surprised he didnt have one of those heads up displays made out of glasses, but he did have the Icom surveillance earpiece in.

Dude, he WAS the SWAT team. The ENTIRE SWAT "team".:):

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The one thing I've noticed is there isn't the image of your friendly neighborhood police officer anymore. The idea if you have a problem you can always talk to Officer Friendly when he's walking the beat and he'll help you out.

That doesn't happen anymore. People are afraid of talking to the cops for whatever reason now.

It starts when the kids are young. Parents run into a uniformed officer and tell their kids, "Better be good or they are going to take you away." I don't want to take any kids away, I'm just there minding my own business eating lunch...ugh. It starts there.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Some officers are douchbags. What can I say. I have a STRONG feeling they have a "Town Marshall" and not a police department. The douchiness can be stronger with Town Marshalls.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Actually they (Nazis) copied the dress uniforms of an east coast State Police department. The uniform predates the Nazis.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think traditional police uniforms (P-buttons, shiny leather, stripe down the pants) look more professional than the BDU-style uniforms. That said, the BDU-style uniforms are just so much more functional. There are plenty of pockets to carry all the mundane stuff I need to carry, and I feel more ready for work than for a parade. Plus, changing out all the buttons and lapel bling everyday can get tiresome. I'd rather come home, empty my pockets, and throw my uniform in the washing machine. Fortunately my department lets us wear whichever we want, aside from special events throughout the year. I guess it comes down to PR vs. function. I'm always going to pick function over form since I have a job to do besides look nice driving around. I have the face of an angel, but that's beside the point.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think traditional police uniforms (P-buttons, shiny leather, stripe down the pants) look more professional than the BDU-style uniforms. That said, the BDU-style uniforms are just so much more functional. There are plenty of pockets to carry all the mundane stuff I need to carry, and I feel more ready for work than for a parade. Plus, changing out all the buttons and lapel bling everyday can get tiresome. I'd rather come home, empty my pockets, and throw my uniform in the washing machine. Fortunately my department lets us wear whichever we want, aside from special events throughout the year. I guess it comes down to PR vs. function. I'm always going to pick function over form since I have a job to do besides look nice driving around. I have the face of an angel, but that's beside the point.

Does wearing a tie make you a better cop? Or just one who has another piece of clothing to get caught on something?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Ive always wondered if "officer friendly" disappeared around the same time as "responsible citizen."
    -or-

"self-sufficient citizen"
    "concerned citizen"
    "sober citizen"

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Meh. I've no interest in being the fashion police, or dictating how much flair they can display.
    If my clients judged me by my appearance, I'd have starved to death long ago.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Plus, changing out all the buttons and lapel bling everyday can get tiresome.
    I wonder how often Frank changed out his bling?

Marion-County-Sheriff-Frank-Anderson-4985291_303879_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

andersonof2.jpg

Top Bottom