One good reason to clean you new firearm BEFORE you fire it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    One good reason to clean your new firearm BEFORE you fire it.

2012-03-09232556.jpg

I picked up a New In the Box Ruger 10/22 two weeks ago in Avon. Got around to cleaning it yesterday before heading out to the range and I find this 7" piece of a zip strip in the barrel. This serves as a reminder to ALWAYS inspect and CLEAN your newly purchased firearm before firing it.

Last edited:

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I can see how leaving that in the barrel could have caused you some heartache. Face ache. Hand ache .... :/

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Strange you would get it that way from the factory.
    I could see it if it was a display model with the action disabeled with a zip strap.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Ouch.. That could have ended badly.
    Did you call the place you picked it up from and ask if they know anything about it?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Good catch! One of my first AR's was a gun show pickup, took it home, checked it over, looked down the bore. All good so I thought. Second round jammed the bolt up, finally got it apart and a little piece of plastic from the ziptie that helf the bolt open at the show was stuck in between the bolt and reciever. :ugh:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ruger is putting these in all their long guns from the factory now. It normally has a tab bearing the Ruger name that sticks out of the ejection port (i.e. a chamber flag), but that seems to have come detached in this instance. I have also seen where they have just used a piece of red plastic-coated wire to serve the same function.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Did you call the place you picked it up from and ask if they know anything about it?

Stopping in tomorrow before work to let them know what I found. I bought it at Fort Liberty Firearms. Just so it's clear, I don't believe it was their fault in anyway at all.

The guys working at the time were really friendly and I didn't get that feeling that I was being talked down to as I have at other places (cough, cough, H&H cough cough). They were almost as nice as the people at Tomlinson's back in Busco.

Last edited:

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN

+1

I would hesitate to call Ruger for fear that their legal department would require an additional "remove zip tie from barrel" warning on all firearms. I love my Rugers but not a big fan of the permanent warning on the firearm. Good catch...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    2012-03-09232556.jpg

I picked up a New In the Box Ruger 10/22 two weeks ago in Avon. Got around to cleaning it yesterday before heading out to the range and I find this 7" piece of a zip strip in the barrel. This serves as a reminder to ALWAYS inspect and CLEAN your newly purchased firearm before firing it.

ALWAYS clean you new gun at home before firing it...

MicLouis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    Hey guys! nice thread you got here. Thanks for the warning, now I want to clean my S&W 22A but I'm not really sure how. I just got my gun a couple of weeks ago and I haven't used it yet. So I think its a good time to do the cleaning. I researched how to do it and I found this article talking about how to dismantle and put back together a 22A for cleaning. I read that they're using an ultrasonic cleaner to do the cleaning. Do you clean your gun that way? Have you tried or do you know anyone who tired it before? Comments and suggestions will be much appreciated. I just want to get a feedback before I try it out. Thanks guys! here's the link Repairing Smith & Wesson 22A Through Ultrasonic Cleaning

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Hey guys! nice thread you got here. Thanks for the warning, now I want to clean my S&W 22A but I'm not really sure how. I just got my gun a couple of weeks ago and I haven't used it yet. So I think its a good time to do the cleaning. I researched how to do it and I found this article talking about how to dismantle and put back together a 22A for cleaning. I read that they're using an ultrasonic cleaner to do the cleaning. Do you clean your gun that way? Have you tried or do you know anyone who tired it before? Comments and suggestions will be much appreciated. I just want to get a feedback before I try it out. Thanks guys! here's the link Repairing Smith & Wesson 22A Through Ultrasonic Cleaning

The owners manual should have some useful info about how to clean it.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    <threadjack>ultrasonic is nice, and does a good job. you can accomplish the same thing with gun cleaner/oil (i use rem oil, its aerosol, cleaner/lube in one can, it works for me, flame on) and a toothbrush (do not use the same one you use to brush your teeth, itll taste terrible when you are done). open the manual, complete field strip, cleaning, lubrication and reassembly should all be in there. good luck, any questions, google them, someone has asked them before and they have been answered on this forum or another. has gotten me out of a few jams</threadjack>

Top Bottom