• Total voters

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Poll added

I forgot to throw in other in the poll. But just explain if other.

I haven't read something I haven't already considered yet, so let's see where the poll takes this.

I agree with most things said. The only thing that I personally wouldn't "agree" with is the 22. Ammo is cheap and abundant indeed, but after seeing a handful of gunshots up close and in person (by larger calibers) I won't personally recommend using small bore for defense. Just not worth the risk IMO. But thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The only reason I leaned AK over AR for all purpose is cost of ammo. Aside from that, I would certainly lean towards AR personally.

Well, that and reliability. The AR is indeed reliable but you can put the AK through a bit more and not have to worry about it in any sense. The AR, learning good maintenance is a bit more important.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    To give a little insight:

My dad is a "good ole farm boy." Always been around rifles and shotguns. Got me started at the age of 5. He's used mostly hunting/field type guns. Doesn't have much experience with combat/defense type weapons and not much with pistols. Says he's tried pistols at times years back but was never any good at it. It's safe to say that he's never had any professional instruction, but he's been seeing all the stuff in the news and you can tell it's worrying him.

How this got started was I know he really liked shooting my AK, but was asking about pistols a few weeks ago to have at home for protection that he and my stepmom can use. Knowing his experience is very limited with pistols and he lives a good distance from me, my time to help teach him is very limited. He's not independently wealthy either, so I know he won't have a lot of time/money to spend on training and practice ammo. Something he will need more of if he went the pistol route. So, I started weighing the options for suggestions to best fit his needs/lifestyle. I don't think the pistol is really the way to go due to time and money. So I began looking at long guns.

I thought about shotguns versatility, but also about its real limitations too should the S ever really HTF. So I started considering the AK and AR. For versatility, I would choose AR. But I know my dad's dedication to training/practice and budget for ammo might be very different and less than my own so an AK seemed to be a more appropriate choice.

Just throwing it out there to get more ideas I might have missed. The family get-together after Thanksgiving on our property, I'm putting together some range time for the family and going to give the two of them (specifically) some pistol instruction and some defensive coaching, and see what my dad thinks of his choices/options after all that. I know he likes the AK better than the AR already, but I have no idea what way he'll lean after introducing him to all the defensive training I've attended since he's had no formal combatives training. Even the "21ft rule" was new to him and really sparked a lot of questions when I mentioned it on the phone a couple months ago, so there's a lot of ground I'll have to cover in a day. I have a feeling he'll lean towards a rifle such as an AK though. Considering its cost, cost of ammo, reliability, and simplicity...I'm pretty confident that's where he'll lean.

I merely wanted to throw this out there to see if I could find some different perspectives I hadn't thought about/heard before.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    great thread!

I would take my mossberg 500 hands down. Heres why, the ability to shoot 00 buck, shoot bird shot for small game, and slugs for the nastys. Of course if we are talking SHTF my boys with AR's and AK's can do the long range shooting :draw:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You people choosing a 12 ga shotgun are crazy.

The ammo takes up entirely too much space.

That would be an issue if you were constantly on the move. Not if you were anchored in place. Since we're talking homedefense as a primary issue, storage space is likely not an issue.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    AR and a .22 conversion. Is that cheating? It is only one gun.
    LOL, that's why it's my choice. Most versatile thing really. Shotgun has limited range. AK has limited Accuracy.

Personally, I think AR is by far the most versatile. BUT, IDK if my dad will get sold on one...

Those old guys get stuck in their ways sometimes...:):

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    .22 is out & shotgun are out...

As already stated, I don't want to be in the fight for my life with either one of those.

I'll take a good high-power rifle. And when it comes to hunting small game I'll make well-aimed head-shots.

:twocents:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    6 inch barrel .357. Load it up for big game up to 50-100 yards, load it down to .38 special for head shots on small game and ground birds (Let's be honest, if it's survival, I'm going to shoot them on the ground). Effective man stopper. Concealable enough when necessary. I could be fine with that and nothing else.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and throw out the Taurus Judge or the S&W Governor. I'll preface it by mentioning that I don't own one (but I do own a Bond Arms .45/.410 Snake Slayer) . It shoots either a .45 Colt (45ACP as well for the Governor) or a .410 slug/shot. You could hunt with it (closer range), and certainly defend yourself with it. It is very portable, easy to conceal, and packs a huge punch. Although .45Colt could be hard to find when SHTF (or otherwise), I've never noticed a shortage of .410 shells.

Just an idea. Maybe a good one, maybe a bad one.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    my bug out gun is a Sub 2000. while my BOB is a tool to get me home, if needed id feel completely capable with it being the only one id have.
    mine is a .40, realistically a 9mm might have had been a better choice, if youre in a scavenging situation.

LAZY DOG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    i was for the ..44 magnum for years using shot shells and various other loads as needed.but 500 rounds of .44 is heavy .now i know more about the 22 i can carry 500 .22 to 100 .44 my go to gun is 10/22 .along with mkll 67/8 pistol.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    You people choosing a 12 ga shotgun are crazy.

The ammo takes up entirely too much space.

Let them take the turd shot guns and I will pick them off at distance and take there stuff. They wont even here the shot before they die. In a SHTF senario of coarse!

Top Bottom