• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    I've been a proponent of learning to work the pistol with one hand for a long time. Why? Of course, the obvious answer is Injury to one hand. Another, less obvious, but more common occurrence is situations where one hand is being used to perform a task such as opening a door or controlling/guiding someone.
    Another aspect is confidence. Simply put, if you are confident manipulating the gun with your offhand, everything else is easy.

The basic gun skills are the same regardless of how many hands you get to use. They are Drawing, Shooting, Reloading and Addressing Stoppages.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JuYJxXpnWQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCIKHOcGLPo[/ame]

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    we also teach/train using the "lip" of your front pocket to grap the rear sight to work the slide.....for instances where it is difficult to get to to get to your belt, such has having a loaded flak on

Paul Gomez

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    you keep posting such detailed examples, your not gonna get many attendees to classes ;) lol

Many years ago I had a Pekiti Tirsia instructor tell me that only those who had very little to offer tried to keep everything close held. I think he was on to something. Every instructor that I've ever been impressed with has reinforced this idea.

Besides, no one learns this stuff from watching a video. It may give you an idea and, once you've been exposed to the details, may serve as 'cliff notes' but it never replaces hands-on training.:D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Many years ago I had a Pekiti Tirsia instructor tell me that only those who had very little to offer tried to keep everything close held. I think he was on to something. Every instructor that I've ever been impressed with has reinforced this idea.

Besides, no one learns this stuff from watching a video. It may give you an idea and, once you've been exposed to the details, may serve as 'cliff notes' but it never replaces hands-on training.:D

:+1::+1::+1::+1: Well said...perhaps I should have put it in purple lol

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    it's an ever evolving science....when new experiences pop up it gives birth to new theories, ideas, tests, and methods to counter.....can only try to learn as much as possible and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE to firmly imbed the skills into your muscle memory and instincts......and if you don't get some bumps, bruises, cuts, scrapes, and a little damage to your gear here and there....you're not training hard enough

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the great thread Paul! Since you've joined us here on INGO, I've learned so much just from your posts alone. Thank you!

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    great information, thank you for posting. i always love when multiple instructors on this site get talking. i learn a ton this way without having to get my lazy tail off the computer. i also know what drills to work next.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    great information, thank you for posting. i always love when multiple instructors on this site get talking. i learn a ton this way without having to get my lazy tail off the computer. i also know what drills to work next.

well, at least it's a good thing you practice the drills rather than "practice through reading"..lol

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When running Officers through the FATS trainer in the old days, there were almost always, several hits on the gun and hands of the perp in the review. Sometimes with no hits at all in the vital exposed areas of the perp. We could talk about it and rerun the scenario and that was very helpful in breaking that tunnel vision focus on the gun barrel.

It is hard to not focus on the gun pointed at you, for most people. Even highly trained people.

If involved in a gunfight where you are both shooting, I think you should plan on getting shot in the hand from my experience on the FATS trainer. You should strive to break that focus on the other gun and make effective hits before your hands and gun become ineffective, IMO

Last edited:
    Top Bottom