• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I recently got a S&W 360J and will start carrying it once I get used to shooting and manipulating it. Its accurate and carries well but Im behind when it comes to revolver manipulation tasks. Speedloaders and speedstrips are quick and easy to use but what if you only have one arm to work with. I have looked for a technique that mazimizes control of the gun but its just very awkward. Any revolver guys give me some tips and drills would help. Please no revolvers suck get a brand x advise because I know a revolvers limitations and I likely already have brand x. Thanks for help.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    One handed? 1. Open cylinder, squat & place revolver between knees, use good hand to load. 2. Open cylinder, hold revolver with good hand after placing speed-loader in your mouth, manipulate loader to cylinder, use mouth or hand to dump loader. Neither one would be fun.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    How about this for a trick. Assuming you still have right hand operable.
    First, get a Webley.
    Second. Hit lever. snap revolver to open and launch all empties.
    Third put back in holster with cylinder open.
    Fourth, drop loaded moon clip into open cylinder.
    Fifth, close cylinder by rotating handle forward.
    Ready to draw and shoot.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The only thing I can suggest off the top of my head is to possibly brace the butt of the revolver against your knee or some other semi-stable object while holding the revolver with the barrel facing away from yourself and tilted upward with your fingers through the top of the frame and your thumb tilted downward sufficiently that you can use it to punch in the ejector rod.
    Then, do just as the earlier guy suggested and brace the barrel between your knees while you insert your speed loader.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    With a "duty size" barrel, you can shove the barrel under your belt and then do your work. I don't know that'll work with a j-frame, but that's what I'd try. Or drop the first one and draw another. That's probably quicker.

This is one of the drawbacks of a revolver. If you find yourself in that very rare situation of needing to reload and lacking a hand, it's going to be a...difficult task.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Lots of strong suggestions so far but here's a holster designed to help with 1-hand revolver reloads.

[video=youtube;O6D9cFaQ0J8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6D9cFaQ0J8[/video]

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Pretty slick holster. Seems a good solution. However, as BBI states, the best reload for a j frame is another j frame. That being said, should your daily solution is a j frame, then a one handed method is going to be very important. Our one hand manipulations class addresses some of these issues.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Because we can easily reload one handed

Because this forum is such a collection of sticklers for logical arguments:
    1) What leads you to believe that you'll have a need to reload one handed?
    2) Easy is a relative term. Do you practice in realistic scenarios to sleep easy at night knowing you could perform this under the stress of a firefight?
    3) Do you have any statistics or data that supports this?

Those who have travelled to the big sandbox used body armor to protect nearly everything except for extremities. Very few times did anyone get shot in the arm/disabled/carry their bag of groceries in such a scenario that reloading one handed was needed. I am certainly not disagreeing that reloading a semi one handed is almost always easier than a revolver. I AM arguing the usefulness of such a specific and unlikely manipulation as any criteria of importance in the life of an armed citizen. Then again, I am not John Wick.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    With a "duty size" barrel, you can shove the barrel under your belt and then do your work. I don't know that'll work with a j-frame, but that's what I'd try.
    This is one of the drawbacks of a revolver. If you find yourself in that very rare situation of needing to reload and lacking a hand, it's going to be a...difficult task.

Pushing the revolver in your waistband is what was taught is the dark ages. It's still relevant today if you are concerned about having to do a one handed reload.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Speedloaders and speedstrips are quick and easy to use but what if you only have one arm to work with. I have looked for a technique that mazimizes control of the gun but its just very awkward.

Maximizes control of the gun? Well, that's the holster.

(If no holster there is a pocket method, but do that under supervision . . . please--not max control).

Here is how I have always done it, right or left (I am strong side right):

Shoot revolver dry.

Empty it one handed.

Put revolver back in holster with cylinder empty . . . but reverse it so the butt of the weapon is pointing in opposite direction than normal.

Load revolver.

Shoot if you need to.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Those who have travelled to the big sandbox used body armor to protect nearly everything except for extremities. Very few times did anyone get shot in the arm/disabled/carry their bag of groceries in such a scenario that reloading one handed was needed. I am certainly not disagreeing that reloading a semi one handed is almost always easier than a revolver. I AM arguing the usefulness of such a specific and unlikely manipulation as any criteria of importance in the life of an armed citizen. Then again, I am not John Wick.

Some of what you say is relevant, if you ever meet 17 Squirrel ask him to show you the huge scars on his left arm and hand, and ask him to tell you what happened to him while working in Southern Rod

Some of what you say is relevant, if you ever meet 17 Squirrel ask him to show you the huge scars on his left arm and hand, and ask him to tell you what happened to him while working in Southern Rhodesia.
    He will tell you it's damn important where and how you carry a sidearm. Especially when in the sandbox.

It's hard to draw much less reload and shoot a handgun with your strong hand has had the tendons cut for all four fingers and some radial nerve damage just below the elbow.
    And yes he's a lefty.

I do agree it's probably never gonna happen to a citizen, but it could.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Pushing the revolver in your waistband is what was taught is the dark ages.

It's the only way I've been taught to do it, or putting it in the holster backward if the holster design allows it. I like the kydex one in the video up above that locks the cylinder in place. That's a pretty solid idea.

Top Bottom