• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    I'm finding all this on here about classes for manipulating your weapon with one hand, and i have my own way of doing a few basic things but, does anybody know of any youtube videos or can describe the way you perform one-handed functions on your pistols?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a Walther P99, and I can do everything one handed on that pistol, except rack the slide.

Provided that one hand is my right hand. the controls are very right-handed, and I can only drop the mag left-handed.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    What kind of manipulations would you want to do? only thing I can think of is taking off the safety and squeezing the trigger. anything else would probally not turn out to great.

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    If you have your belt snug around your waist you can catch the rear sights on it and push down to rack the slide. If you have a holster on, drop the mag, place your pistol in your holster and grab your spare mag and then insert it and either depress the slide release or rack it off your belt. If you don't have a belt I guess you could try putting the pistol upside down between your knees, forcing your knees in to try to hold onto the slide and pushing forward. One hand manipulation is not impossible, just inconvenient and not ergonomic.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    i can cock, decock, safety on off, brass check and fire my 1911 singlehandedly so i guess what i'm looking for is can anybody rack the slide or clear a jam with one hand? i know this is a stupid question but its all i could think of at the time to get my posts up so i can pm.:n00b:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Anyone who carries a gun for defense should know how to run it single-handedly, with either hand. The odds of being able to run a two-handed grip are slim, as we could be using one of our hands to grab a loved one or hold a flashlight, or it could be injured.

Look up Paul Gomez on YouTube. He has some of the best videos on YouTube, and discusses this topic in depth.

Agreed. Since the OP is new to INGO I'll go ahead and embed them directly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JuYJxXpnWQ[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCIKHOcGLPo[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJQY8v9V6AM[/ame]

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Anyone who carries a gun for defense should know how to run it single-handedly, with either hand. The odds of being able to run a two-handed grip are slim, as we could be using one of our hands to grab a loved one or hold a flashlight, or it could be injured.

Agreed. Since the OP is new to INGO I'll go ahead and embed them directly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JuYJxXpnWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCIKHOcGLPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJQY8v9V6AM

Thanks. I wasn't able to while on my phone.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    One handed manipulation of a firearm, primary and support side, is important for many reasons including injury and one hand or the other busy with another activity.

ACT offers a class in one handed manipulation: DP250.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I cleared a failure to fire (intentionally bad primer) while shooting single handed with my weak hand while practicing with some IDPA guys. Their mouths about hit the floor. I aimed for my belt but it went lower and I think caught my pocket. If you drag it through that area it'll hit shirt, belt, top of pants, pocket, or something although I try to aim for a specific spot. I've never had it fail to cycle even if I missed my belt. With jeans you can even slide it down your leg usually and it'll catch just due to friction.It should be part of your skillset. Gomez is a one-stop shop on these types of topics if you want quick easy Youtube videos. Various instructors in real classes will teach you these as well.

This is an excellent thing to put under your list of "what can I learn by dryfire without shooting up my expensive ammo and while its snowing outside."

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One handed manipulation of a firearm, primary and support side, is important for many reasons including injury and one hand or the other busy with another activity.

ACT offers a class in one handed manipulation: DP250.

I'll be teaching the one-handed ACT DP250 again early in 2013. Anyone who has a reasonable command of fundamental handgun manipulations and marksmanship is welcome to attend (that means our DP101 or the equivalent from another provider).

One-handed skills come in handy when you're using a flashlight too. When I was (cough!) practicing with my light the week of Thanksgiving, I was racking the slide on the front of my holster instead of dropping the light to my lanyard. Sometimes it's quicker and less prone to fumbling if you're support hand is occupied.

Actually, I also remember INGO member Jackson racking the slide of his pistol one-handed during at least one of the drills during our low-light class last Saturday.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I did. Sometimes when I only have one hand on the gun and my other hand is doing something, it just happens that way.

OP, where do you live? If you are somewhere close to Indy or Muncie I can take you to the range and show you several methods of loading, unloading, clearing stoppages, manipulating the slide, etc. Or it can all be done dry.

You dont need a belt but it helps.

I also recommend ACTs one hand class.

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    Just a word of caution when doing one-handed or support-hand only manipulations...GET PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION. I witnessed the guy next to me shoot himself in the leg trying support-hand only manipulation! Your support hand isn't trained to keep trigger finger straight unless you train to do so!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Just a word of caution when doing one-handed or support-hand only manipulations...GET PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTION. I witnessed the guy next to me shoot himself in the leg trying support-hand only manipulation! Your support hand isn't trained to keep trigger finger straight unless you train to do so!

This

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I remember that. It's also an example that things can happen even with the best of supervision ... we have to remain vigilant about where our fingers are at all times when a trigger attached to a loaded gun is in their vicinity.

Top Bottom