• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I have a problem with my left wrist (non dominant) and that hand/wrist will need reconstructive surgery next month. I like to carry as often as possible, but this is getting to be a challenge. Currently, my carry stable is an M&P 40 and a 1911. I'm worried about working the slide and recoil should I need to use one. My question is which would you opt for and why.

I can rack the slide, though gingerly, when suiting up, but it's gonna be a chore to do much else. Reloads (if needed) may be difficult as well, but I think adrenaline might help some there too.

Should I opt for rear sights with a rear ledge for cocking purposes? Would that really help? Should I go with the M&P because of capacity? Or the 1911 for better control one-handed? Maybe scratch the idea and carry a wheelgun instead? What do one armed people do? Inquiring minds want to know!

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    If its an option you could get a revolver. Revolvers are very reliable and you would never need to use you non dominant hand to clear any malfunctions, if you had a bad round all you would need to do is pull the trigger again. Also reloading a revolver is very low impact on your non dominant hand. Just something to consider.

Last edited:

evanrw61

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Southport Indiana
    If its an option you could get a revolver. Revolvers are very reliable and you would never need to use you non dominant hand to clear any malfunctions, if you had a bad round all you would need to do is pull the trigger again. Also reloading a revolver is very low impact on your non dominant hand. Just something to consider.
    I second that. :twocents:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I can load a round off my belt, shoe, or wall if need be. I carry a glock 19 or a 1911. Work on racking the slide these ways. To use your shoe, hook the ejection port on the heel of your gun...with the glock, the slide only needs to clear thcartridge, it does not necessarily have to go all the way back.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    When I needed to carry a weapon after my broken collarbone, I carried my little beretta Minx. The tip-up barrel means you NEVER have to rack the slide, and the lower caliber means you can shoot just as easily one handed as two handed. You can still find some of the newer models of the Beretta pocket pistol (Tomcat) with the tip-up barrel in a .32. Its tiny, yes, but you can conceal carry with your sling. :rolleyes:

Here's to a speedy recovery.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I know exactly where you are coming from. I had the muscles in the top of my left forearm severed and surgery to reconnect them. Worked well for years now that I'm older my left arm has problems.

So here are my thoughts. First both the 9mm and .45 are less felt recoil than the .40, so opt for one of those. Don't fall for the get the smaller gun train of thought, racking a smaller pistol can be harder when you can't hold the slide properly. So opt for full size weapon. Next try the Mongolian method of racking (named after the way to draw a Mongolian bow). Its push / pull, vice pulling the slide back. You hold the slide and frame normally and push the frame while holding the slide, putting as much force reward with the slide as you can. This works well for me when there is no strength in my left forearm. Good Luck

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Some good ideas on here. There is also a device that works on the Glock, and I believe the M&P has one as well. That locks onto the back of the pistol that you can use to cycle the firearm. Trying to find the link now, as I had seen it in a couple of firearm magazines, and actually looks like a great idea. Clamps to the back of the pistol and has a hole behind it, so you can use a hook, or another device to assist racking back the slide

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Some good ideas on here. There is also a device that works on the Glock, and I believe the M&P has one as well. That locks onto the back of the pistol that you can use to cycle the firearm. Trying to find the link now, as I had seen it in a couple of firearm magazines, and actually looks like a great idea. Clamps to the back of the pistol and has a hole behind it, so you can use a hook, or another device to assist racking back the slide

51iEZzONRnL._SS400_.jpg

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I don't like this idea. Some people have it because either they have an disease that affects motor skills or bad carpal tunnel and they might need this. But for people that have nothing wrong with their hands should just avoid something like this that looks kinda flimsy and just sticks out in the holster.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Top Bottom