Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Carry it how you wish....it is better IMO to have to rack it before shooting than having a butter knife. That being said there is an obvious advantage to having one in the chamber. I always have one in the pipe....it took a bit of getting use to at first but you should always treat very firearm as if it was loaded so there shouldn't be an issue.

Netranger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Lawrenceburg / SE Indiana
    1911 - one in the chamber with hammer down. All I have to do is pull the hammer back and she's hot!!! PK 380 - one in the chamber with the safety on. One flip of the safety and she's hot!!! LCP - one in the chamber. No safety and No hammer. But the trigger pull is so heavy that IT is my safety. Finger on the trigger and she's hot!!! Any questions???

No round in the chamber is like carrying a brick...IMHO Have a nice day!

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    I carried for awhile without one in the chamber now I always have one in the chamber. A good holster helps with the uneasy feelings if you dont have one.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    1911 - one in the chamber with hammer down. All I have to do is pull the hammer back and she's hot!!! PK 380 - one in the chamber with the safety on. One flip of the safety and she's hot!!! LCP - one in the chamber. No safety and No hammer. But the trigger pull is so heavy that IT is my safety. Finger on the trigger and she's hot!!! Any questions???

No round in the chamber is like carrying a brick...IMHO Have a nice day!

:popcorn:

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    The method of carry does not change the condition in which I carry...Always 0.

That is what I believe as well...

condition01.gif

Chambered. Cocked & Locked.

:+1:

If not locked and loaded, might as well have a stick ;)

BTW, what's CC :dunno::D

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This guy didn't carry with one in the tube.

He payed with his life.

LiveLeak.com - Jewelery Store Shooting in Agra

This is an excellent example of why to carry with one in the pipe. Notice how long it takes to go from comfortably chatting to being engaged in the fight for his life. Within a two second time span, he goes from being completely comfortable to being fatally shot. It's tough to watch, but there are lessons in that video.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    XD45 always 10 + one in the chamber.

There is a misconception that a gun's "safety" is to prevent it from discharging if the trigger is accidentally pulled. The only thing a gun's safety is supposed to do is prevent it from discharging if the trigger is not pulled. This protects from drops or other mishaps. All guns are supposed to discharge if the trigger is pulled, that is their purpose.

For those that don't realize it, the XD and XDm series weapons have mechanisms that will not allow the striker to come forward and contact the round's primer if the grip safety is not disengaged. You can throw it down several flights of stairs or multiple stories of a building and it will not discharge. By the same token, the trigger safety prevents the trigger from moving unless it is disengaged. Both safeties have been designed such that naturally holding the weapon will disengage them but anything else should keep one or both safeties engaged. Without understanding them, they seem too simple to be effective, one has to trust that they will do their jobs as intended.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012

There is a misconception that a gun's "safety" is to prevent it from discharging if the trigger is accidentally pulled. The only thing a gun's safety is supposed to do is prevent it from discharging if the trigger is not pulled. This protects from drops or other mishaps. All guns are supposed to discharge if the trigger is pulled, that is their purpose.

For those that don't realize it, the XD and XDm series weapons have mechanisms that will not allow the striker to come forward and contact the round's primer if the grip safety is not disengaged. You can throw it down several flights of stairs or multiple stories of a building and it will not discharge. By the same token, the trigger safety prevents the trigger from moving unless it is disengaged. Both safeties have been designed such that naturally holding the weapon will disengage them but anything else should keep one or both safeties engaged. Without understanding them, they seem too simple to be effective, one has to trust that they will do their jobs as intended.

Big +1. It is impossible to make a modern pistol discharge without pulling the trigger...short of throwing it in a fire, i guess. Aside from a few junk models with well known problems or shoddy home gunsmithing, pretty much 100% of the stories you hear about guns "just going off" are lies by the people who pulled the trigger.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Do people seriously carry a Beretta 92 chambered with a cocked hammer? I'm sorry, but that does seem like a bad idea.

Lafayette Yeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    I used to carry a series 80 1911 in condition 2, but before I did I made very sure that it wouldn't go off short of the hammer being dropped from a cocked position. For the record, I'm left handed and I could thumb the hammer back faster and with a better grip than trying to swipe the stock safety. I have an ambi safety now, carried in condition one (gift from my gf, she loves me :D )

What condition is a loaded SA/DA revolver? No safety, goes off if the trigger's pulled, 0? But the hammer's down on a loaded chamber, would that make it 2?

tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012

Thanks! :yesway:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Do people seriously carry a Beretta 92 chambered with a cocked hammer? I'm sorry, but that does seem like a bad idea.

When I carried my Taurus 92 with a decocker,
    I would put one in the pipe
    Point it I a safe direction
    Use the decocker
    Top off mag
    Holster.

Even if I used the safety, clothing would actually work the safety back to "fire"
    Never used safety,

(Integral safety/decocker) up safe, middle fire, down decock.

Top Bottom