• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    With a lot of home invasions in the Evansville area lately, I would like to keep a round in my 9mm chamber at all times. Is that something that will weaken the spring or anything? Being cocked all the time seems like it isnt healthy. What do you think?

Chambers are made to "hold" something!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I think you should leave the rounds sitting next to the mag. Then when the situation arises you load the mags, then load the gun. Its safest that way. Should probably lock you gun away from the ammo to.

But seriously keep one chambered. Always.

In CA that wouldn't be in purple......:D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    With a lot of home invasions in the Evansville area lately, I would like to keep a round in my 9mm chamber at all times. Is that something that will weaken the spring or anything? Being cocked all the time seems like it isnt healthy. What do you think?

From what I understanding, unless a spring is overly compressed or stored in an extreme temperature, it is the repetition of compression and relaxation that will generally wear out a spring.

In other words, a well designed handgun, with a well made spring, should not wear out simply by keeping a round chambered.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    From what I understanding, unless a spring is overly compressed or stored in an extreme temperature, it is the repetition of compression and relaxation that will generally wear out a spring.

In other words, a well designed handgun, with a well made spring, should not wear out simply by keeping a round chambered.

This /\

Springs wear with use.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Guns are designed to have a round in the chamber, otherwise you can shoot them.

A gun with 15+1 capacity should be loaded with 16 rounds, not 15, when the gun is in use anyway.

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin

This is why my standard home-defense around-the-house piece is a .38 special. There's ALWAYS one in the chamber, and no stresses on anything. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The only times I don't keep one in the pipe is long guns in a vehicle. They tend to lack firing pin stops, so a hard jolt in a car crash could, in theory, cause it to fire. Same as not keeping a round under the hammer on old revolvers with the firing pin on the hammer in case you drop it.

I used to keep my guns in the safe loaded as well, but now when I'm getting them out its usually to re-oil them or to load them up for the range/hunting trip so I'm going to unload them anyway. I've got several loaded mags ready to go for each, though.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I used to keep my guns in the safe loaded as well, but now when I'm getting them out its usually to re-oil them or to load them up for the range/hunting trip so I'm going to unload them anyway. I've got several loaded mags ready to go for each, though.

keep my safe guns loaded in case someone were to gain entry and force me to open it. Last ditch fighting chance I guess

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    There's no point in having a self-defense weapon if you're not going to keep a round in the chamber. I hate seeing people do this--especially if they're carrying it. In short time that it takes to put a round in the chamber in a defensive situation, a skilled criminal will kill you.

I'm sorry I had to laugh at that. A skilled criminal? If they were skilled they wouldn't be a criminal. :popcorn:

There are many different types of skills...critical thinking is one that comes to mind ;)

JDvader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    I agree with all of you that you should keep one in the chamber. However I have a 16 month old who gets into everything. I keep a 1911 loaded but not chambered because my daughter doesn't have the strength to chamber a round but she does have the dexterity to manipulate a safety and a trigger. So my trade-off is to keep a gun close it can't be chambered.

Top Bottom