• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2012
    With a lot of home invasions in the Evansville area lately, I would like to keep a round in my 9mm chamber at all times. Is that something that will weaken the spring or anything? Being cocked all the time seems like it isnt healthy. What do you think?

I keep mine beside my bed and occasionally fire it, I've had it 3 years and it shoots flawlessly every time with out any problems.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Yes. Fumbling with a holster or safety would be difficult enough to deal with in a high stress situation. Why would you want to deal with chambering a round when a split second could be the difference between life and death?

There is no right or wrong. For all the people who talk so tough about "what they would do," my guess is very few IF ANY have dealt with a real home invasion in which discharging a firearm was necessary.

I do not begrudge people for having 1 ready as I do myself, but I would never encourage the storage or use of a firearm in a way that you are not 100% comfortable with.

lonegun3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    One in the chamber, always.

I always got a kick out of a sheriff's deputy I knew who said who wouldn't carry one in the chamber because of the "safety factor." He always said if needed, he could rack the slide at any time.

Thankfully, he changed careers.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I agree with all of you that you should keep one in the chamber. However I have a 16 month old who gets into everything. I keep a 1911 loaded but not chambered because my daughter doesn't have the strength to chamber a round but she does have the dexterity to manipulate a safety and a trigger. So my trade-off is to keep a gun close it can't be chambered.

I keep mine in a bio safe near by.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If a gun doesn't have a round in the chamber, it should either be in pieces being cleaned, or the responsibility of the owner is in question.

All guns are loaded. If they aren't, they'll kill you or get you killed.
    Not only is this the best method of preventing NDs, it's also part of responsible self defense.

If you are comfortable around the gun unloaded, load it before someone gets killed.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Took me a bit to get comfortable drawing from my Blackhawk Serpa due the the ever present fear of contracting a horrible condition know as Glock leg. So while at the range I spent lots of time practicing condition 3 deployment and found this video to be most helpful. BTW I do carry condition 1 now since I've gotten more comfortable with my weapon not having a safety. http://youtu.be/rGD2j9ks38g

Top Bottom