Status
    Not open for further replies.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    On my model 10 is has the pin fixed on the hammer so I carry on an empty cylinder. In reality it still has a safety mechanism that would prevent it from going off if you hit the hammer, but I do it anyway.

Makes me wonder...
    Can an old model 36 be carried safely with all rounds in it? (This has the fixed (bit wiggly) pin on the hammer)
    How about a Taurus model 605? Looking into getting one or the other.
    Sorry for the partial jack.

And for the OP question. One n the chamber safty on. Unless going into a "red zone".

I'm sure I can sweep the safety off with one hand way quicker than racking the slide with 2.

Last edited:

chiggins83187

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Whitestown
    Assuming you won't have the extra second (or ability to use your other hand) and planning accordingly is the smart thing to do, and with that I agree. It's simply a matter of preparing for the worst, which will never lead you astray. Realistically though I'm not aware of any data that states whether you definitely will or will not have that magic second. This is why situational awareness is key. My point is only that if someone isn't comfortable carrying with one in the chamber and that feeling prevents them from carrying loaded, it's not entirely worthless to carry a gun. Getting used to carrying loaded resolves any debate, but until one reaches that level it's better than a rock, and certainly better than nothing. He/she is just leaving themselves more vulnerable than they should be.

I guess another interesting question would be if those who don't carry one in the chamber are new to carrying and just a little uncomfortable (but may consider/plan on changing once used to carrying in general), or if they have been carrying for a while and still have the preference to be without one loaded.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I guess another interesting question would be if those who don't carry one in the chamber are new to carrying and just a little uncomfortable (but may consider/plan on changing once used to carrying in general), or if they have been carrying for a while and still have the preference to be without one loaded.

That's a good question and I apologize for my generalization that people who don't carry their gun loaded are inherently new to carrying, I know that isn't always the case. I said that only because I know when I first started carrying my Glock it took me a week or so until I was comfortable carrying it loaded. What did it for me was carrying it the first week with the slide racked but the chamber unloaded. After that first week passed and the trigger hadn't been accidentally pulled I realized that it wasn't going to happen. I think it's MUCH better to carry it loaded but to each his own and I don't feel I'm in any position to tell anyone how they should carry.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    until one reaches that level it's better than a rock, and certainly better than nothing.

I will argue this point. If you're so intimidated by your gun that you're not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, how can you possibly be expected to effectively employ it in a dynamic situation?

A noted instructor once said "are you going to be the gun's b****, or make it yours?" :dunno:

when I first started carrying my Glock it took me a week or so until I was comfortable carrying it loaded. What did it for me was carrying it the first week with the slide racked but the chamber unloaded. After that first week passed and the trigger hadn't been accidentally pulled I realized that it wasn't going to happen.

This is exactly the route I took when I first started carrying Glocks. That said, I did not carry in public during that time, and didn't have any delusions about being able to get the gun out and into action quickly from that condition.

I think it's MUCH better to carry it loaded but to each his own and I don't feel I'm in any position to tell anyone how they should carry.

I won't tell anyone else how they should carry, either, but I will explain how I choose to carry, and why I believe it is the best way. What others choose to do or not do with that information is on them.

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If it gets to the point where I'm ready to draw, I better be damned ready to shoot too.

I carry all my semi-autos chambered, and revolvers fully loaded.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    For those that dont carry loaded do you train that way every time?

Has anyone taken any FOF classes with an empty chamber? I am thinking that would change your opinion quickly.

Shay, comment?

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    My gun, my choice.

It really depends on what I carry. Some I feel quite safe to carry with one in the pipe. If I am breaking in a new carry gun I will usually carry with a snap-cap in the pipe for a few days to get comfortable with it before I take it out in public with one in the pipe. Some I carry I don't chamber a round. I do switch around carry guns from time to time. This is a very personal choice and people have very strong feelings about it. I think it is up to you if it is chambered or not, whatever you are comfortable with is up to you not me. I carry for self defense, it's my gun, my ammo, my life, my right and my choice how I do it. Everyone has a right to do as they wish. I don't mean to step on toes here, just putting in my :twocents: like everyone else.

Lilsoup

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Always carry chambered, If you dont have one in the chamber, then leave it at home.

Glockster1990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    PERSONAL PREFERENCE

Always carry chambered, If you dont have one in the chamber, then leave it at home.

Now if my bank is getting robbed and this guy takes us all hostage, i would hope that if not me someone would have a gun concealed on them. I think at that point i would not care if he had one in the chamber or not. It give's us options. So Lilsoup no offense but i would not suggest some one to leave it at home. I think it is a personal choice and if you decide to not have one in the chamber then great. I just hope you Carry every day,and have that choice to protect you and your loved one's,as well as good honest citizens.
    As for me it really just depends some days i will have one in the chamber and some days i wont,when i am at work i do not have one in the chamber after that any other time i have one in the pipe. I guess its just i feel like i do ALOT of movement and lifting and jumping around while at my work that i am just afraid of having one in the pipe. That is just my opinion, like i said it's one's personal preference either way GOD BLESS YOU for carrying and protecting law abiding citizens from two bit thugs.
    GOD BLESS THIS FORUM AND ALL WHO WRITE IN IT.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA.:patriot:

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    this has caused me to think of this thread all afternoon since i have first read it. my wife doesn't like it but i rationalize it this way. i have three small children who are with me most of the time when i'm out and not at work. if the SHTF i may need to grab and go with a kid or wife or innocent by-stander. i know we all feel the same but its gotta be up the the individual.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    Now if my bank is getting robbed and this guy takes us all hostage, i would hope that if not me someone would have a gun concealed on them. I think at that point i would not care if he had one in the chamber or not. It give's us options. So Lilsoup no offense but i would not suggest some one to leave it at home. I think it is a personal choice and if you decide to not have one in the chamber then great. I just hope you Carry every day,and have that choice to protect you and your loved one's,as well as good honest citizens.
    As for me it really just depends some days i will have one in the chamber and some days i wont,when i am at work i do not have one in the chamber after that any other time i have one in the pipe. I guess its just i feel like i do ALOT of movement and lifting and jumping around while at my work that i am just afraid of having one in the pipe. That is just my opinion, like i said it's one's personal preference either way GOD BLESS YOU for carrying and protecting law abiding citizens from two bit thugs.

AMEN!:ingo:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    :+1: And repped!
    I carry with 1 in the pipe.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom