• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Precisely why I have never had any desire to be an electrician (or lineman etc). Also one of the biggest reasons I HATE hybrid and electric cars. Sure we can disable them by pulling the master disconnect. But we have to wear linesman gloves with a pair of leather gloves over those. Just knowing it's 600+AC volts makes me cringe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Precisely why I have never had any desire to be an electrician (or lineman etc). Also one of the biggest reasons I HATE hybrid and electric cars. Sure we can disable them by pulling the master disconnect. But we have to wear linesman gloves with a pair of leather gloves over those. Just knowing it's 600+AC volts makes me cringe.

I have worked in/on/around High Voltage my entire life. I learned to respect it.
    It does exist even though it is invisible.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Local REMC had a live safety demonstration back in the 70s. Long pole, package of hotdogs, and 8k volts. I will never forget that sound, hair still stands up on my arm just thinking about it.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Probably looked like this.

1iue0EV.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This Darwin fella ya'll keep bring up... I'm thinkin' I likes his thinkin'.

(For all you folks that worry about the southern venacular disappearin')

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you are in a car that hits a power line, this might help.

Safety video (dramatization)

[video=youtube;fLVzvMTgGDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVzvMTgGDY[/video]

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I met a guy when I started cooping for the Jackson Utility Division that had a big chunk missing out of each palm of his hand from an accident where some driver collided with his bucket truck and caused him to lose balance and guess what he grabbed when he reflexively reached out to keep from falling out of his bucket...

How he survived, I don't know. You don't know how fortunate I count myself for never having an injury accident on my watch during my career.

My Brother in law was working on the AC unit on an overhead crane at a mill, everything was supposed to be locked out but wasn't. He went to move a piece of pipe that was in the way and hit a live wire. He got very lucky, it went in his fingers and back out his palm. Slight nerve damage to two fingers and blew a chunk of skin out of his palm about the size of a half dollar.

He said all he remembers was going to move the pipe and then lying on his back with a couple of people standing over him asking if he was alright.

Top Bottom