• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    So im sure there is a old post on this already but I figured it was worth starting a new one for people who have not read this book. The book "One Second After" is a must read. It is about 500 pages in the small soft bond version I had. Quick read I read it in little more then a day. It is a eye opening rollercoaster ride through a SHTF EMP. Anyone who has not read it should immediately. That is it.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Is it by the same author or someone else and how long is it. I prefer longer books but had heard so much about this one I had to read it. And glad I did. Im making my wife read it right now. She needs her eyes open a little bit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is it by the same author or someone else and how long is it. I prefer longer books but had heard so much about this one I had to read it. And glad I did. Im making my wife read it right now. She needs her eyes open a little bit.

I a truly blessed with a spouse that does not keep her head in the sand. She is on board all the way.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    "Lights Out" is the superior story, especilly from a SHTF scenario, IMHO. L.O. started on thehighroad.com a few years earlier but both it and "One Sec After" got published around the same time. One Sec After is more of an homage to "Alas Babylon" and borrowed heavily from that earlier work.

If L.O. had come out on its own, I think it would have been far more widely read and the planned movie would have been made.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    "Lights Out" is the superior story, especilly from a SHTF scenario, IMHO. L.O. started on thehighroad.com a few years earlier but both it and "One Sec After" got published around the same time. One Sec After is more of an homage to "Alas Babylon" and borrowed heavily from that earlier work.

If L.O. had come out on its own, I think it would have been far more widely read and the planned movie would have been made.

I thought "One Second After" was the better of the three you mention.

I especially liked the way it dealt with the concept of starvation and hunting for survival in a widespread collapse. I thought "One Second After" was sobering to say the least.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Both are excellent books. I have One Second After in paperback, kindle and audiobook. Lights Out in paperback, kindle and the original PDF. I really wish it was available in audiobook. I really couldn't tell you how many times I've been through each of them. At least a dozen. I'm the complete opposite of my father in that aspect. He can read something then never go through it again. "Why? I already read it."

My wife tried to read One Second After but broke down and put it away after the Ensure made it's appearance. Defiantly doesn't have her head in the sand but couldn't handle that part. Hit too close to home for her. I told her to stay away from Lights Out then.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    ...the planned movie would have been made.
    Sorry for the hijack, but -- Lights Out the movie is still in the works. Its not dead. The screenplay had to be re-written as a trilogy because the book was so long. The project is moving forward, just taking time. They are working through casting and location scouting right now. I can confirm that the scripts are done; I've read all three of them.

Back on topic: As far as books go, I am a fan of both works. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel to each of them.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Sorry for the hijack, but -- Lights Out the movie is still in the works. Its not dead. The screenplay had to be re-written as a trilogy because the book was so long. The project is moving forward, just taking time. They are working through casting and location scouting right now. I can confirm that the scripts are done; I've read all three of them.

Back on topic: As far as books go, I am a fan of both works. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel to each of them.

Very good to hear. I've been looking forward to it ever since I heard about it. This is one of the things I would make happen at any cost if I hit the lottery. Just tell me what you need then make it happen.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    For another good series, check out 299 days by Glenn Tate. He does a good series on what he envisions what a partial collapse would look like. If all the apocalyptic books/series out there, I think his could be the most likely.

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I enjoyed both Lights Out and One Second After. Another good book (two actually) is Deep Winter and Shatter by Thomas Sherry.

Deep Winter and Shatter by Tom C. Sherry are the first two books of a trilogy. The third being “Remnant.”

I also enjoy the short story “The Long Road Home” by Puternut and “The Unwelcome Sign” by zengunfighter and also his follow-up that’s a work in progress, “The Unwelcome Development

Top Bottom