• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Just re-read Lights Out. Still a pretty decent book!

One to One Second After.... again.

Good to know the LO movie(s) are still in progress. They would certainly be on my Must See list.

weezy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indiana
    Just re-read Lights Out. Still a pretty decent book!

One to One Second After.... again.

Good to know the LO movie(s) are still in progress. They would certainly be on my Must See list.

what is the main point of the book? Is it a theoretical world without being able to use electronics?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Both are post-EMP stories. "Lights Out" focuses on a couple of families and a neighborhood that pulls together over a 10-month or so period. Lots of action, and decent story-telling. Takes place outside of the Austin, TX area. Feels a bit more practical and probable than many stories of this type.

One Second After is very similar. Takes place in a small town in eastern Appalachia, outside of Ashville. Different author, so a different feel, but many of the same scenarios.

In neither case, were the main characters really "preppers". Just decent folks, with a good head on their shoulders, and a good supporting cast.

From Amazon:
    Lights Out
    Lights Out: David Crawford: 9780615427355: Amazon.com: Books
    Downloaded from the internet over three million times, this exciting, action-packed, survival story is finally available in book form. Lights Out chronicles the challenges of Mark “Karate Man” Turner when the lights go out over most of the free world. He must find in himself the ability to unite his family, friends, and neighbors if any of them are to survive the harsh reality that everyday life becomes when the veneer of civilization is stripped away.

One Second After
    http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-Af...d=1437497155&sr=8-1&keywords=one+second+after
    New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    After running across this thread a few days ago, I got One Second After for my Kindle app. Very good read IMO. Sadly it pretty much opened my eyes as to where my wife and I really stand in that sort of situation. Between her reliance on anti-depressants and my mild diabetes and heart issues, we wouldn't last long. Unless we start stocking up on meds, we'd be pushing it to make 60 days.
    Not sure how to go about improving that or in those conditions whether I'd want to!
    Thinking about getting Lights Out to read but I seem to recall a movie a year or so ago that I was thinking was also called lights out. I think it was set in CA or maybe NY, maybe both. But loss of power was the main theme. What was it called if it wasn't Lights Out?

Matt

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I haven't read either one. Which one should I start with?

Either one. One Second After is the shorter book. Both are very good and once you read one then you will pretty much be compelled to go to the next one.

I also like the Patriots series from J.W.Rawles. Another good series. Those books are written about an economic collapse and in a unique way. The first few have the same characters in them and detail the same time period but from different points of view. You don't have to have read book one to understand book two. I went through the entire series in order and enjoyed it that way.

J.W.R. also runs survivalblog.

PTinbound

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    DeMotte
    Deep Winter and Shatter by Tom C. Sherry are the first two books of a trilogy. The third being “Remnant.”

I also enjoy the short story “The Long Road Home” by Puternut and “The Unwelcome Sign” by zengunfighter and also his follow-up that’s a work in progress, “The Unwelcome Development

Is there a link to get "The Unwelcome Sign?" I didn't have much luck on google.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I also enjoy the short story “The Long Road Home” by Puternut and “The Unwelcome Sign” by zengunfighter and also his follow-up that’s a work in progress, “The Unwelcome Development

Anyone have a link for the full "The Long Road Home"? I have found a few chapters here and there but not the full story. I got 6 chapters in on one site but that was as far as it went. Just enough to suck me in and then leave me hanging.

Thanks, Matt

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Looked at upping my sponsor level the other day. Lester do you have any insight to the status, is website current?

I wouldn't. Not yet. The project is on going, but let's wait and see what they need before we put more in. I'll ask them and report back here. Okay?

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Top Bottom