:):......This works for me every time.

I would be worthless with rod or flint.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Bet y'all aren't finding flint in Indiana. ;)

Yes, we are finding "flint" (referred to by geologists as "chert") in Indiana. Although, if you REALLY WANT TO BE A GEOLIGICAL NERD, the true definition of the word "flint", is chert found mainly in chalk deposits, most of which are in England. In the United States we have "common chert", but still it is reffered to as "flint". In the glaciated regions of Indiana lots of surface pieces of flint were deposited by the melting glaciers. In non-glaciated regions of Indiana flint is found in nodules and bands in the limestone or other sedimentary bedrock. I have an exposed outcropping of limestone on my prooerty with a six inch band of flint running throught it. In southern Indiana you can find "Harrison county flint" also called "hornstone". It is a beautifil dark grey to black flint that was much favored by native Americans for arrowheads, knives, and atlatl points. You can find LOTS of it on both banks of the Ohio river. In central Indiana we have "fossiliferous chert", which runs from white to grey to red to blue. In northern Indiana you can find "Indiana Green". There are many other types of "flint" (chert) in Indiana, but those are just a few of my favorites. If anyone is having trouble finding flint, I have buckets of the stuff, and do hot mind sharing. Generally speaking, the shinier the rock, the higher the quartz content, so the more sparks you will get.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    See, it's non-rock people who think that flint and chert are the same and interchangeable. But those of us who know better...know better.

But for this thread - they're interchangeable. I'll give that. :D

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    See, it's non-rock people who think that flint and chert are the same and interchangeable. But those of us who know better...know better.

But for this thread - they're interchangeable. I'll give that. :D

All "flint" IS "chert", but not ALL "chert" IS "flint". There is no native, true "flint" that can be be found on the continent of North America. However, for the purposes of firestarting and arrowheads, they are one in the same. Just like REAL "Champaign" ONLY comes from the Champaign region of France, ANY similar drink is technically called "sparkling wine" - even though it tastes the same. Semantics can get crazy. My personal favorite is the word "decimate". It actually means "to reduce in number by ten percent". However, it has been INCORRECTLY used so often to imply "destroyed" that it has commonly become accepted usage.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Why yes, it is smooth and satisfying to the pallet, unlike bumpy rocks which can cause distress to the tongue, but it can be SHARP

Correctamundo.

Flint, Chert, Obsidian, and any of the many other forms of siliceous rock ALL taste like blood, regardless of the mechanism(s) of their formation or deposit.

-Nate

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Back in Nov of '14 I took the pathfinder basic survival class and the one stick fire was a big part of what they taught. I really like the concept because there's always dry wood in the middle or at least enough to get the rest of it all burning. We found and harvested a piece of fatwood from a white pine and made a one stick fire out of that. Honestly that's not hard to do with fatwood, and the knife I used in that class was far from special being a condor kephart. For me I think it just makes sense to start camp fires using the one stick method. Any time I've struggled with that method is because I got lazy and didn't make enough fine shavings. Whenever I start a fire in the firepit on the patio, I just grab whatever log of firewood is handy and start batoning the piece down to tooth picks.

Although the one stick fire is my preferred method for casually making a fire, I also EDC a bic.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Fatwood is great, when you have it. However, white pine is not native to Indiana, and is often impossible to find in the wild, much less fatwood from white pine. That is why I use sassafras, as it is native and EASY to find in most areas of the state.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am pleased that rock pedantry has arisen in this topic!

Back in Nov of '14 I took the pathfinder basic survival class and the one stick fire was a big part of what they taught. I really like the concept because there's always dry wood in the middle or at least enough to get the rest of it all burning. We found and harvested a piece of fatwood from a white pine and made a one stick fire out of that. Honestly that's not hard to do with fatwood, and the knife I used in that class was far from special being a condor kephart. For me I think it just makes sense to start camp fires using the one stick method. Any time I've struggled with that method is because I got lazy and didn't make enough fine shavings. Whenever I start a fire in the firepit on the patio, I just grab whatever log of firewood is handy and start batoning the piece down to tooth picks.

Although the one stick fire is my preferred method for casually making a fire, I also EDC a bic.

Yeah, I carry a couple of Bics too!

I'm going to skip the fat wood version and move to something a little more challenging for my practice! I do have a few small pieces of fat wood in my vehicle. They were part of the swag they gave you for attending the grand re-opening of Self Reliance Outfitters after their move.

Actually, I'll use whatever I find and keep trying. I don't know much about identifying wood, especially after it's no longer part of a tree that is more easily identified.

Fatwood is great, when you have it. However, white pine is not native to Indiana, and is often impossible to find in the wild, much less fatwood from white pine. That is why I use sassafras, as it is native and EASY to find in most areas of the state.

Sufferin' Sassafras!

Is sassafras also good for a friction fire? would you want to make the hearth board from it and the spindle, or just the hearth board?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Where I'm at, it's everywhere. Totally understand though that it might not be where you're at on any trip or putt ing. In Sept I was out for over a week at the isle Royale National park and didn't see any pines while there.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Yeah, I carry a couple of Bics too!

I'm going to skip the fat wood version and move to something a little more challenging for my practice! I do have a few small pieces of fat wood in my vehicle. They were part of the swag they gave you for attending the grand re-opening of Self Reliance Outfitters after their move.

Actually, I'll use whatever I find and keep trying. I don't know much about identifying wood, especially after it's no longer part of a tree that is more easily identified.

Completely agree that it's not really a fair challenge to use fatwood. I keep plenty around becasue if I need a quick and easy fire I don't feel like making it harder on myself than it has to be. How was their grand reopening? I wanted to go but skipped figuring i rd be really crowded.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Completely agree that it's not really a fair challenge to use fatwood. I keep plenty around becasue if I need a quick and easy fire I don't feel like making it harder on myself than it has to be. How was their grand reopening? I wanted to go but skipped figuring i rd be really crowded.

We went on Sunday and it was fun! Not too crowded at all.

I also won something cool in the drawings. If you watch the photo montage video of the event on their youtube channel, you can see me receiving a customized PKS Forest Tool from Dave Canterbury.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I’ve done the old one stick fire a time or two... Never heard of percussion fire with two pieces of flint/chert. I’d like to see that done. It seemingly defies my understanding of how flint and steel firemaking works.

Btw the only non-charred material I’ve ever been able to catch a spark from flint and steel with was Milkweed ovum. I’ve heard Mullein pith works but I’ve never been successful with that. And of course chaga is meant to be good but I don’t find that around here lol. Igniting wood shavings with flint and steel is something I would love to see. What say you Hkindiana? Video or it didn’t happen? ;)

Top Bottom