• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ask him to do some 21' foot drills with you.

He holsters an unloaded gun after both you and him verify its unloaded.

Set up a target about 4' from him and have him face it.

If the target is 12 o' clock, you start out at about the 9 o clock position if he's right handed, 3 if he's left handed, 21' away from him. He should be able to just see you out of his peripheral vision. You are on the opposite side of his draw and he should never sweep you while presenting to dry fire at the target. Once you get used to this drill, and with a little equipment, you can safely step it up and do a head on charge while he tries to dry fire at you, but we'll get to that later in the post.

With no signal, at some point you rush him. Your goal is to touch him before he can unholster and dry fire at the target. His goal is, of course, to rack his pistol and "shoot" the target before you touch him.

If you're willing to invest $15 and are reasonably comfortable with charging him straight on without crashing into him and both of you toppling to the ground, buy a training barrel and let him attempt to draw and rack before you're on top of him while you are rushing him straight on.

TB002 Training Barrel : TRAINING BARREL | Brownells

That's a training barrel. Lets the slide function, etc, but obviously no way for a round to be fired as its just a barrel shaped chunk of yellow plastic.

A good friend of mine, who's also an excellent trainer, set me up with that drill (among others) vs a chalk edged rubber knife. Its a humbling experience and also an eye opener for your equipment and set up for quick draw, firing from the retention position, etc.

Especially if you are CC. It adds time to the drill on the shooter.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    I mentioned it, and i think it's out of his budget or he doesn't like the looks or something... not sure.

I was specifically NOT talking about at home. As mentioned, a convenience store robbery situation.

To all the "mind your own business" & "don't tell somebody what to do" posters, I genuinely care about this person and he is in fact from a logical and real tactical standpoint screwing himself over. Even though, i'm not telling him what to do. I am arguing my point as to why i think a different method is superior for his specific circumstane. :dunno:

It is undoubtedly superior from a tactical standpoint, but if he isn't comfortable with it then I don't see why you would try to push him into doing something he isn't comfortable with. Have you asked him in all the time he has carried how many times he unholstered his weapon and realized the trigger had been engaged? That should put it into perspective for him.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    It is undoubtedly superior from a tactical standpoint, but if he isn't comfortable with it then I don't see why you would try to push him into doing something he isn't comfortable with.

Because feelings do not equal logic? If he carries a gun to protect his life, handicapping himself in using it as such, is simply illogical. One should base life or death decisions on logic, not how it makes one feel. Doing so is self imposed defeat.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Because feelings do not equal logic? If he carries a gun to protect his life, handicapping himself in using it as such, is simply illogical. One should base life or death decisions on logic, not how it makes one feel. Doing so is self imposed defeat.

The fact that he is armed puts him light years ahead of most everyone else.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I can also guarantee he has never, ever tried to draw and shoot in any way. :rolleyes:

Yeah the "I don't carry with one in the chamber" argument is often the easiest way to figure out who hasn't taken even a basic 8-hour handgun course.

If you really want to help your friend, get him a training gift certificate and he'll figure it out on his own.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That's why I like a DA/SA auto. I keep one in the chamber, hammer down, just draw and squeeze.
    I have both, I prefer the safety over DA/SA just due to the consistency.

I do still carry my p226 DA/SA though, and practice the DA with follow-up SA at the range regularly... Something I don't have to do for my SAO.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    For me, every mag is full and there's always one in the pipe when I'm carrying one of my Glocks--always. Good leather or Kydex helps the confidence level. Only took me a day or two carrying to get used to condition one.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    when I carry the chamber is always empty, the slide is locked back, the mag is in my sock and all the bullets are in separate pockets of my clothing. I call it the "Super Fife" condition

Justin073190

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Corydon
    its not worth your breath i also have a friend that dont chamber one. it seems the he believes the gun has a mind of its own and is gonna start going off in his holster. i can not even stand an external safety i wish my glock didnt have the trigger safety

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Right after they make the sammiches.

:popcorn:

I got your sammich... Riiiight heeeere...

battered-men.jpg

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I prefer striker w/safety on, or DA/SA with hammer down (safety off) when carrying.

When I carry a striker pistol without a safety, I keep it chambered, but am just extra careful about unloading before putting it away. My pistols with safety/decockers stay loaded, and those without are only loaded when in use.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Irritating the crap out of me.
    The latest... he's dumping the glock for a gun with a thumb safety so he can finally carry one in the chamber.
    Statement "i'd rather gamble with the thumb saftey than one in the chamber on the glock".
    wtf! can't get through...
    rant over.
    :ar15:

At lesast he is practicing his 2nd Amendment. Just try to buy the Glock at a good price since its so terrible.:)

Top Bottom