• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    ^ This.

I buy what I can from the LGS, but the things I want aren't big sellers. They will get 100 customers looking for a modern semi auto hand gun before that one guy comes in looking for a Colt 1903. It's just good business.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    ok so I have made up my mind to purchase an Emp 4. Prices range locally from $979.00 to $1099.00 plus tax and background. One Store had quoted me $910.00 the when I got there after a 40 minute drive oh the price is $999.00. Me well I spoke with ... while at your location and was told the price would be $910.00 well the if you want it its $999.00. So with that in mind I can purchase online for a cost of about $956.00 free shipping and includes transfer fee and background check. So why not buy on line?

I, as others have stated, would never do any more business with someone that jerked me around. That store would be dead to me, and I would tell everyone I knew about that experience. For some reason gun stores and auto dealers often don't seem to think they need to treat people well. Not sure if it is because they'd rather make a lot on one person than have a loyal customer base that does repeat business. However, when you do find one that treats you well and has decent pricing, that is a relationship to maintain.

Because eventually there will be very few true Brick and Mortar Stores to do business with. And when that happens you will have to order everything for what sport you do off the internet. You also are supporting local business's.
    I would suggest that you find a local gun shop and just do business with them. Most generally speaking better deals come with being a store supporter. Like you walk into a store that you have done business with for a few years and they know what your wants and desires are on you wish list.
    And one of your wish list items walks out of the back room and its yours at a nice discount.
    Think about if you buy a new 1000 dollar pistol from Buds online and out of the gate you have a issue with it.. The shop you transfered it from could care less that you have a problem. It's your baby to deal with..
    Now if you bought it from your local full time brick & mortar shop, you just stop in and a quick chat and they take care of it for you..
    What so many people just don't seem to understand, that if as a business you don't turn a reasonable profit, you just go out of business.
    A business has to not only pay all the bills associated to that business it HAS to turn a reasonable profit.

Edit... I hope that all that disagree, one day they too own a small business and then they will understand very quickly working for wages just does not keep the wolf away. You gotta make a fair profit..

I don't disagree with you, but will also say that many LGS won't do much to help with a problematic gun purchase either. I know of one on my side of town that I understand has actively helped folks that have had an issue after the purchase. A local store that does the right things to earn my business will get it. I could not care less about the one that doesn't actively try and earn a customer's business.

Basically support the place that gives you the best combination of service and price. Don't entirely jump ship to online or the big box stores, but don't pay homage to the local guy if doesn't care about you.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    All online for me when I need anything.

Stay out of shops at all costs! Unsafe gun handling, sky high prices, no selection, are only a few reasons that keep me away.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    All online for me when I need anything.

Stay out of shops at all costs! Unsafe gun handling, sky high prices, no selection, are only a few reasons that keep me away.
    My LGS won't tolerate a lapse in unsafe gun handling, ever. I will admit his prices are sometimes a little higher but after I figure in shipping it's not that much more. I prefer to help support the guy who saved a little powder and primers in the back for his loyal customers when we couldn't get anything to speak of. Please don't misunderstand my post as I'm not bashing you and will never tell another man how to spend his hard earned dough, just offering another perspective.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Until recently I use to make it a point to patronize my LGS even though I have at my disposal a source that will handle FFL T-fers for $20, that was until......... I had to ship a firearm back to the manufacturer and took it to the LGS I purchased it from at a loss of over $100 Vs buying on line. I asked in advance if I would have to pay for S&H as I would call the maker for a shipping label to cover the cost. I was assured that was not necessary as they would take care of it as the gun was still under warranty. Low and behold two 1/2 weeks later when my gun came back and I went to pick it up I my LGS said sorry but I would have to pay $30 for S&I, I was extremely surprised and asked what happened to don't worry? I was told who ever told me that was misinformed.

I went home and called the manufacturer and was told by there CS Dept I should have not been charged as they would have gladly sent me a shipping label free of charge and they don't charge for return shipping for warranty work.

From that point on I swore I would buy every single new gun online that I could, and thus far have been successful in doing so, 5 guns and counting, six when I pick up my new 9mm Shield tomorrow. Also I find it hard not to buy online when the Shield I bought total cost was $370 OTD and the next best price in stock OTC near me I could find W/tax was $470 OTD. I just can't pass up saving $100

Forgot to add, I don't know what it's like in anyone elses neck of the woods, but stores by me have a extremely limited (read sucks) selection of holsters, carry belts, silhouette targets, and prices on items like mags and cleaning supplies are unacceptable to me.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    So you hold a entire retail industry at fault for one independently owned gun store ?????
    Who do you transfer your internet purchases from ??

And this is not personal, but if you really feel that your local gun shops are that ill stocked and you could do an much better job, then why haven't you Sir gone to you local bank and get a small business loan and open your own gun and supply meca superstore. I mean really, do you town good. It's not hard, a couple hundred grand and some sweat and poof, you are a Corporate CEO.
    You will quickly find out being the CEO ain't all jet setting around and drinking Manhattan's.

xoregonian

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Jay Co.
    I've had good results with 2 LGS, but I don't buy everything from them. I have amazon prime so bore snakes, patches, pipe cleaners all get ordered on line. Ammo I buy a case at a time and can't even get close to the deal I get online anywhere local. I've gotten some great deals, but I also got the cold shoulder during the madness when people were shelling out $1300+ for little black rifles. After things settled down, my money was good again. I could have taken it bad, but business is business. You could probably get a great deal on a Dodge Dart right now, but if that same dealer has a Hellcat on his lot you probably won't get it for $500 over cost. I got deals on guns the store could deal on. When the SCAR 17s were first out, one guy I work with was mad that he couldn't get a deal on it. I explained that they were hard to find and the store knew they were going to get the price they were asking. I agree with those that have said they won't deal with dishonest people. I would get all of the information first. If someone told you one thing and it changed, were they authorized to do that? Will the store make an attempt to do right by you? If the answer is no I wouldn't give them any more of my money, but for people that look out for me, I have no problem spending a little extra. I go to the 1500 once a year and look for INGO members. I bought a knife from Brad and I'm not really a knife guy, and that is one example. If you have a bad experience at one store you could always try another. Things might get stupid this fall. If there are shortages, out of stock online is out of stock. Locally it might be, hey you're a loyal customer, I kept this because I knew you would want it and that you would be stopping by. YMMV.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I buy all my guns from LGS, what most people are chiming in on is true. Once you are an established "regular" customer the gun shop can and will take very good care of you. My Dad was able to score a Colt M45 Marine Corps 1911 the other day because the store held it for him since they know he likes 1911's and the price was killer too. They also knew I have personally wanted a Sig Legion 229 in 9MM and they just quoted me a price below Gun Broker for it so I finally pulled the trigger on one ($1100 for those wondering)

And generally the profit margin for guns is total crap with shops only making $100 or so for a $1000 Sig they are in no way or shape getting rich. In short unless your LGS sucks and the people are terrible support them.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    There are too many poorly managed gun shops. There are a few that are good. Even fewer that are great. It's hard to justify spending $100 or more for a firearm, which you can easily do at an LGS VS Online. I do really enjoy going to two LGS's in particular. When I stop in I try to buy SOMETHING every time. Accessories probably pull more margin than guns anyway. When I purchase a gun online, I always try to spend that extra money I saved at the shop that does the transfer. That has been as much as $200 in ammo/mags/gear etc...

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    In a perfect world, I would prefer to support my LGS. Most of the time my firearms purchases are from LGS (I will never buy a gun from the big box stores). I do however, purchase most of my reloading components online as the local stores just are not competitive. I typically bundle my powder and primer purchases to spread the hazmat fees, and even paying the fees, I save a ton versus buying local. Right now, my LGS has 8# of powder for $208.00 -- I can buy it online for $169.00.

Tbag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2016
    Colorado
    Its very obvious that such store do not care about how you feel about their inconsistency. Well as for me, I will not pay extra $$ for an item beyond what it is meant to be and also wont deal with such store. I'll rather buy online.

tocws2002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    KY
    I agree with the posts stating to shop locally, unless the customer service is absent (or the ol bait and switch is played). While I will look online and go to other shops, if I am planning a purchase the LGS will be my first choice as they are good folks and want to make sure the customer is taken care of. Like any bigger purchase I'll do my research to know what an acceptable range in price is for the item(s) I want prior to making a purchase. If the LGS is way out of line with other shops and/or online then this may be part of the discussion at the LGS. They can choose to adjust their pricing or not and I can choose to make the purchase or not. Sometimes the brick and mortar store just can't match an online price. If it's only a little more it's worth it to me to have the face to face interaction and support of the LGS in case I need assistance after the purchase. If it's a significant difference then I may choose to buy elsewhere, but it doesn't mean I won't go back to the LGS in the future.

-jb

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I prefer to shop locally. There are two LGSs I frequent and both take care of me well. I can get most things a bit cheaper online, but will only go that route in extreme circumstances. One of those was when I was buying Czech police turn in pre-B CZs. They were cheap online and did not exist locally. Nor could they have been ordered. Another was a $499 Sig P938. One of the guys at a local LGS even pointed out that those are sometimes available on the cheap if I keep my eyes open online. That was the only current gun I've bought online that could have been bought locally, but with a price difference of $200 before tax, I went online. It was either that or no gun. Either way, the LGS would not have made the sale, but going online gave them the transfer fee.

The only other online order was for a set of stripped lowers. That was bourbon induced though. A friend that runs the LGS that did the transfer pointed out that I could have gotten them cheaper from him, but I was at least consoled by the thought that they probably earned more on the sale through the transfer fees than they would have on selling the stripped lowers.

Everything else has been bought locally. I try to keep my business split between those two shops and they both have made some good deals for me. Life would suck more if either of them closed their doors.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So you hold a entire retail industry at fault for one independently owned gun store ?????
    Who do you transfer your internet purchases from ??

And this is not personal, but if you really feel that your local gun shops are that ill stocked and you could do an much better job, then why haven't you Sir gone to you local bank and get a small business loan and open your own gun and supply meca superstore. I mean really, do you town good. It's not hard, a couple hundred grand and some sweat and poof, you are a Corporate CEO.
    You will quickly find out being the CEO ain't all jet setting around and drinking Manhattan's.
    /Boom, drop the mic, end thread!

Top Bottom