• ...and so much more!
  • GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Hey folks!

I am real close to laying out the $$ for a new Ontario Knfe - 'Night Stalker-6' straight blade version........ black blade/green Micarta scales. Found one (new) I can pick up for $85 shipped.

Anyone here have previous experience with this particular model? How do you like it?

Thanks for any and all comments..... Lee :ingo:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have many Ontario Blades, they are all as good as any other knife brand out there. I bet it will serve you well for the rest of your life.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hadn't seen one but the pictures look awesome that I found on the web.

I have an Ontario RTAK II and have been very very pleased with the finish, durability and quality. Go for it in my opinion...

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I have 4 ontario knives, and I have abused all of them, and they keep on asking for more. I have a Rat-1 folder, the SP-5 bowie, the SP-1 marine combat knife, and the Rat 4(pre ESEE). All excellent knives.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Thanks, gentlemen!

Any other user opinions? I'm pretty much sold on the Ontario brand... and on this 'Night Stalker' model. Just want to be confident in shelling out the $85.... ;)

I have seen them online for right at $100, tho.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    If it helps, I think the Rat 7 is a much better knife, but thats just my opinion.

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.com/ONTARIO-RAT-7-FIXED-BLADE-KNIFE-CAMPING-SURVIVAL-USA-/150604169143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2310b53fb7#ht_1199wt_784]ONTARIO RAT 7 FIXED BLADE KNIFE CAMPING SURVIVAL USA | eBay[/ame]

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    if your going to spend the 100 dollars go for esee. if for nothing else than the amazing warranty on esee's. the quality and control of ontario knives is lacking to say the least. some come out great and others break w/ minor use. i won't go in to to much detail as there is tons of threads about it but you definitely have better options out there for close to the same money

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    from what I gather most of those issues have been resolved. the ranger series designed by Justin Gingrich are a high value knife, and based on the reviews, are worth looking at. granted, the fit and finish isn't as nice as the ESEE's but they can be had for less then half the price.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    from what I gather most of those issues have been resolved. the ranger series designed by Justin Gingrich are a high value knife, and based on the reviews, are worth looking at. granted, the fit and finish isn't as nice as the ESEE's but they can be had for less then half the price.

This is 100% correct.:yesway:

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I do know this much, about Ontario knives. The USN MK 3 diving knife, used by Navy SEALS and other US Navy personell... from 1984 or so until 2003(?)... were made by Ontario Knife Co.

Yes, there are reviews on that knife that says they were prone to having the slender tip break off...... but that was mainly (IMHO) in cases of extremely "rough" use or abuse, mostly when using the knife tip to pry on something. In my world, a fixed blade knife is essentially used for cutting things and skinning game, mild digging (where no other means is available) and self-defense. I would never use a knife to pry on something, unless it was a matter of life and death (trapped, etc...... in which case I could care less if I break the knife tip). These type knives have a lot of purposes and uses.... but chopping thru the 2" hull of a wooden sailboat, isn't one of them.

I feel fairly confident that most any mid-range priced (or better) Ontario knife will be more knife than I need..... and I'm hoping this NS-6 falls in that category as well.

Thanks to all for the comments and opinions! :ingo:

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have one of Ontario's RTAKs and have been pleased with it for years. The handle has been improved on the newer models, but that is only a very minor complaint. I can not say that I have ever abused it, but it has done a fair share of cutting limbs and branches.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have an Ontario Gen2 sp46 that I use to kick around with in the outdoors. It's the only Ontario knife i've owned, bought it because it caught my interest and was curious to try out the blade steel (5160) so far no problems. Buy what you like and do the research and if you are comfortable with it go ahead and pull the trigger.

Top Bottom