• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    I was buying spp at cabelas and someone placed magnums in with the regular ones. Since you can't return primers what can these be used for? I'm reloading 9mm.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was buying spp at cabelas and someone placed magnums in with the regular ones. Since you can't return primers what can these be used for? I'm reloading 9mm.

Post an add in the classifieds. Somebody will trade with you. Where are you located?

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Only 1,000. It's not the worst thing. Maybe I need a new gun to use them with. Any ideas?
    I'm in IL so that's not going to make a trade easy.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    As long as you are not at a max powder charge I would try them. They might work better. I have 3 handgun calibers that I use magnums in with better results depending on the powder. Two of those calibers my old Speer manuals called for magnums and the newer manual calls for regular. I used the magnums for years before the new manual. Switched per the new manual and my accuracy went to pot, switched back and my accuracy returned.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Mag. Small Pistol Primers....

"I'm thinking that you now have a reason to buy a 357 Magnum "

^^^You are right there Glue....

True story:

A few years ago, when things were all "Upside Down" on trying to buy powder+Primers, I bought more than several K of Remington 6 1/2 primers (Small Rifle). The Newbie loaders bought them for AR loading and found out they were NOT to be used for the .223 loads..

Well, I was able to get these CHEAP..Started loading the Rem. 6 1/2's in a lot of pistol loads--Warm .38Spl. and all .357Mag., 9MM, .40 S&W, small primer case 10MM+.45acp.

IMO, the Rem. 6 1/2 primer is close to the same as a Mag Pistol Primer as far as operation. These worked well for me on all loads except a few "Light Strikes" on a couple of my "Tuned" S&W revolvers--too hard of a cup.

I do NOT suggest that anyone does this, I'm just saying what works for ME....Bill.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Dont know how much help it is...but I mixed up a box of Large pistol magnum primers when i was loading 45acp....Loaded with clays(fast powder) I didnt notice any difference at all when shooting them....YMMV...but mine still shot golf balls off of tees at 20 yards with a 200gr LSWC.

Ive loaded small pistol mag primers in 38spl, but my "tuned" gun only likes federals and these where CCI, so once again YMMV...I also run similar "light 38" loads in 357 cases with mag primers and have good luck...unique and SR4756.

All said and done I cant notice a difference between mag and standard primers...I dont think youre at risk of hurting yourself or your guns.
    Load em and shoot em....$.02

God bless
    -Shred

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Thanks for the thoughts. I've not had problems with them in my rifles. Maybe I'll just be super safe and get that wheel gun I've been thinking about.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I also would just use them. There is really no difference in the charge in the magnum vs. a std. primer. I recognize that some claim there is but all the information I've read from the manufacturers say that the only difference is the strength of the cup to withstand the higher magnum pressures. So the biggest concern is that in a non-magnum gun with a light firing pin strike MAY not reliably but in reality this is almost never a problem.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    And besides, the variations between one make of standard primer and another are large enough as to say poo on the very term "standard".

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I also bought Rem 6 1/2 by mistake. Guess I will try them in 9mm.

Work up as normal?
    Yes=Unless you are already running a "Balls Out" load, you will be completely safe+will not see any difference..In fact, for ME, the 6 1/2's seem to seat better than some other primers (Winchester for example)

Don't use them in Federal Brass, doing so will cause a head separation..
    I read so on the internet...
    Squirrel, I hope you mean this in "Purple"?? HA. HA...Bill.

Top Bottom