• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andrew68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    I guess I am lucky to have all of my fingers. I went home to visit and surprise my Dad in NW Iowa for his birthday last week. He has a couple of new Taurus .17 HMR revolvers. I went out in the yard to try one out. I set up some pop cans full of water. loaded 4 rounds in the used one he bought and took the first shot. There was about .3 or .4 second lag between the hammer drop and when it fired. I still hit the can but thought "that was weird". I cocked it and fired again and it sounded funny but I missed and it went off right away like it should. That was my lesson learned. I cocked and fired again. This time there was instant stinging in my left index finger. I was afraid to look, but when I did I just had powder stuck in it. No blood. A week later it is still there like a tattoo, 9 little grains imbedded in the skin. If it had been a bigger gun I might not have a finger. I have never had a round do that so it was a new experience. So now if it doesn't sound right, I will stop and unload it and check it out immediately because I like having all of my fingers!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I guess I am lucky to have all of my fingers. I went home to visit and surprise my Dad in NW Iowa for his birthday last week. He has a couple of new Taurus .17 HMR revolvers. I went out in the yard to try one out. I set up some pop cans full of water. loaded 4 rounds in the used one he bought and took the first shot. There was about .3 or .4 second lag between the hammer drop and when it fired. I still hit the can but thought "that was weird". I cocked it and fired again and it sounded funny but I missed and it went off right away like it should. That was my lesson learned. I cocked and fired again. This time there was instant stinging in my left index finger. I was afraid to look, but when I did I just had powder stuck in it. No blood. A week later it is still there like a tattoo, 9 little grains imbedded in the skin. If it had been a bigger gun I might not have a finger. I have never had a round do that so it was a new experience. So now if it doesn't sound right, I will stop and unload it and check it out immediately because I like having all of my fingers!

So was it a squib (stuck in barrel) and then you fired another round?

Did you have your fingers near the cylinder gap?

Andrew68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Yes, right hand trigger finger on the trigger and left hand was wrapped around so my left trigger finger was just to the left of the trigger guard. It took the powder.

Top Bottom