• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Aren't you just down the road from Great Lakes Waterjet?

yep. dave and i work together alot.

but he and i approach our projects differently. and usually make different type products. we both still do stock removal.... which is when the "more belts!" thing comes into play. after 3V is hardened, it because very, very tough! and that, for makers, translates into alot of belts to create bevels.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    yep. dave and i work together alot.

but he and i approach our projects differently. and usually make different type products. we both still do stock removal.... which is when the "more belts!" thing comes into play. after 3V is hardened, it because very, very tough! and that, for makers, translates into alot of belts to create bevels.

Ah. I thought it would just save some belts over profiling with them, but you were talking about the bevels.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Before its hardened it's plenty easy to work (in my unknowing experience). It was clean and fairly easy to turn into something that looked like it might be something sort of like a knife shaped object.... Lol!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Before its hardened it's plenty easy to work (in my unknowing experience). It was clean and fairly easy to turn into something that looked like it might be something sort of like a knife shaped object.... Lol!

I've only started working on trying to make pointed metal things and I've only been using 1084, so I wouldn't know how hard the grinding gets with some of those newer complex steels...although I have a huge urge to try D2 and O1. I'd rather screw up my first ten or so knife attempts on the less expensive 1084 anyway (plus I can heat treat it at home in a day, so I can do everything from getting bar stock in the mail to a finished knife all in my garage). :laugh:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    wait a minute.... wasn't i suppose to send you some D2???

i just remebered that.... i was suppose to send it to SOMEONE.... off to check my pm's...........

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    That was me. It's all good. I'm well aware of how life gets on the way of things that aren't as important and I would never bug anyone about something they were doing doing out of kindness.

I do have a design worked out that would work well on that D2. It's probably a bit more complicated grind wise than my low skill level.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    That was me. It's all good. I'm well aware of how life gets on the way of things that aren't as important and I would never bug anyone about something they were doing doing out of kindness.

I do have a design worked out that would work well on that D2. It's probably a bit more complicated grind wise than my low skill level.

i completely suck! i'm sorry! i will get it out that way! :n00b:

Top Bottom