• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I carry mine in a Blackhawk SERPA. I've never been under the impression that it's just the absolute best thing out there, but it serves me well and I like how it draws. Serves my needs just fine. I may upgrade to something better down the road but right now there's just no pressing need.

You can minimize the shortcomings of any type of holster by just practicing your draw. Keep your gun loaded while you do this (and pointed in a safe direction of course!) so the weight and everything will be the same. Muscle memory is key if you get in a tight situation and are unable to keep a calm head. Even if you can stay calm muscle memory can only help.

Generally it is accepted to practice with an unloaded and cleared weapon for drawstroke drills. The safety factor trumps the minor inconsistency of a few ounces. Many people carry multiple types of guns for self defense based on mulitple factors so it matters very little if it weighs exactly the same.

Are you blind or what??? My personal opinion aside...look at ALL the reputable people/instructors who want NOTHING to do with it. I posted some of it right there for you to read! Unreal.

Find me someone respectable that recommends it, bc all you are doing is offering your opinion to refute mine...which is the whole premise of your argument right?

So do you let other people make all of your decisions? Dude lay off a little, it seems as though it is more of a personal choice than a right/wrong one. You see very few people on this site like to be told what to do or what they should choose.

BTW no where in the IDPA rulebook does it say that you cannot use a Blackhawk Serpa. If they changed it please show me.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Are you blind or what??? My personal opinion aside...look at ALL the reputable people/instructors who want NOTHING to do with it. I posted some of it right there for you to read! Unreal.

Find me someone respectable that recommends it, bc all you are doing is offering your opinion to refute mine...which is the whole premise of your argument right?

Remember the Corvair? Lots of "reputable" people said it was crap too. Started with Nader and ballooned from there. NTSB later ruled that the car was no less safe than its contemporaries.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair

I've not come down on one side or the other for the Serpa. I have one, use it, it serves its purpose. I certainly have not made blanket statements about it or it's users.

My point has been this. NDs happen more often then not becuase of shooters, not equipment. Perhaps the Serpa has more of a tendancy to induce that error in shooters, but it still is the shooter. Not the equipment.
    One example given states a seasoned shooter got his pistol hung up Ok, equipment malfuntion. He had a ND. But why? He pressed harder on the release, which is out of the ordinary, yet he continues hia draw like normal. He was behind, losing time, rushed to catch up. The holster didnt Pull tht trigger, the Shooter did.
    I've not had one single holster that places my index finger in any position when I draw. Its my muscle memory. If i rush a shot, guess what?, it wont be on target If i rush too much, i could be the one with a bullet in my leg. I'm as fallible as every human being is. It's not if there will be a ND, it's when. Every time my sidearm comes out of that holster, any holster, it's a possiblity.

Keep the booger hook off the bang stick until you are ready to fire.

Last edited:

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I try to be a good Stewart when I am OC. Rarely in public am I OCing with out another friend with me CC or OC. I think I have a Bianci minimalist holster for my kahr K9. I like it.:-) Sometimes i use the O ring retention. most of the time i do not though. If i know i am going somewhere where people are going to be close to my personal space, the O ring goes over. Most of the time, I am not in a huge crowded area. Even if i forgot the O ring was there and i had to draw it. I am pretty sure I am a strong enough man to snap that rubber O ring. But it would definitely give me forewarning that some one is trying to grab it. But that is why i have a pocket .380 in my other pocket. Push the main gun down into the holster draw the pocket 380 and give them the business end of it. I hope it never would come to that, because I don't want to have to deal with the aftermath, news, and legal issues..

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Generally it is accepted to practice with an unloaded and cleared weapon for drawstroke drills. The safety factor trumps the minor inconsistency of a few ounces. Many people carry multiple types of guns for self defense based on mulitple factors so it matters very little if it weighs exactly the same.

I can see unchambered, but completely unloaded?

I carry a plastic gun, so the weight difference is pretty significant if you don't have a loaded clip in, not to mention the distribution of the weight. It feels completely different. Adding 15 rounds of 180 grain .40 S&W adds a lot of weight to a polymer frame weapon.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I carry a plastic gun, so the weight difference is pretty significant if you don't have a loaded clip in, not to mention the distribution of the weight. It feels completely different. Adding 15 rounds of 180 grain .40 S&W adds a lot of weight to a polymer frame weapon.

Most of the training is the motions rather than the subtlety of exact feel.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Yep, completely unloaded.

You don't practice squeezing the trigger and followthrough during your training.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So do you let other people make all of your decisions? Dude lay off a little, it seems as though it is more of a personal choice than a right/wrong one. You see very few people on this site like to be told what to do or what they should choose.

BTW no where in the IDPA rulebook does it say that you cannot use a Blackhawk Serpa. If they changed it please show me.

Did you not see the part about the fact that I've owned one and know exactly how it works? In addition, many people that I trust to have superior knowledge to mine have said the same thing. I've not seen anyone of merit recommend it, show me?

Not all of IDPA yet, but certain events/ranges. The issue is definitely not lost upon them.

I've not come down on one side or the other for the Serpa. I have one, use it, it serves its purpose. I certainly have not made blanket statements about it or it's users.

My point has been this. NDs happen more often then not becuase of shooters, not equipment. Perhaps the Serpa has more of a tendancy to induce that error in shooters, but it still is the shooter. Not the equipment.
    One example given states a seasoned shooter got his pistol hung up Ok, equipment malfuntion. He had a ND. But why? He pressed harder on the release, which is out of the ordinary, yet he continues hia draw like normal. He was behind, losing time, rushed to catch up. The holster didnt Pull tht trigger, the Shooter did.
    I've not had one single holster that places my index finger in any position when I draw. Its my muscle memory. If i rush a shot, guess what?, it wont be on target If i rush too much, i could be the one with a bullet in my leg. I'm as fallible as every human being is. It's not if there will be a ND, it's when. Every time my sidearm comes out of that holster, any holster, it's a possiblity.

Keep the booger hook off the bang stick until you are ready to fire.

I didn't tell anyone what to do with their money, I just said that it's a crappy product...I'd say it's a crappy product ND issues aside as I didn't care for the build quality or how far it stuck out from the hip either. Add on top of that the major ND issues and your admitted ability as a human to error, and tell me why someone would choose this over a SL rentention holster at the same price? Why increase the chances? If trained "professionals" have had accidental discharges with it, what makes you think it's a good idea for the masses to buy?

You've said yourself that it is more prone to inducing error, so what is your issue with what I've said? There have been SO many more issues with these holsters than any other that it's ridiculous.

I've asked 100 times now, show me another type of holster that has had so many ND's and problems. Find someone that recommends this holster? I really can't believe I'm having to have this conversation.

If there are 2 comparable products, one is more likely to help you shoot yourself or another and the other does not. IMO, the safer one is the way to go every time and I would consider the other, crap. I appologize if that is too harsh for you.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I just love how butt-hurt this guy gets over a stinkin holster.

:chillpill: <<< Take two and call me in the morning.

No, it's over people that are ignorant to a matter giving out information/perceptions like they know what they are talking about. It needs to stop in general, especially on a gun forum. People come here for good advice, not to be misled. I don't stick my head in the reloading section offering advice on what press to buy bc I don't reload.

It irks me beyond belief when someone is looking for advice on a holster, sees that someone here said that the military uses it so it's awesome, and then wastes their hard earned money on something just to have buyers remorse later on, or even worse accidently injure themselves or a loved one...all bc someone was talking just to talk.

Still have yet to do a single thing I ask or refute anything I've said. I'll take that for what it is.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    No, it's over people that are ignorant to a matter giving out information/perceptions like they know what they are talking about. It needs to stop in general, especially on a gun forum. People come here for good advice, not to be misled. I don't stick my head in the reloading section offering advice on what press to buy bc I don't reload.

It irks me beyond belief when someone is looking for advice on a holster, sees that someone here said that the military uses it so it's awesome, and then wastes their hard earned money on something just to have buyers remorse later on, or even worse accidently injure themselves or a loved one...all bc someone was talking just to talk.

Still have yet to do a single thing I ask or refute anything I've said. I'll take that for what it is.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It just doesn't quit! DUDE! I don't HAVE to prove my point becuase the only point I'm making is that you are being an ass about a specific holster on a thread that isn't even ABOUT that holster! You are proving my point for me!

Just let it go! I learned long ago that you cannot convince people to change from across a computer screen no matter how eloquent of a typer you are.

I think we could take a show of hands here and see just how many people care what your opinion is of this holster. Anyone?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    The serpa is my goto for OC carry. The second choice would be a safariland ALS, but finding one with just the thumb retention seems nigh impossible for me. And they cost like twice as much.

That's more reloading components I could buy.

I open carry, not to put on a show, but for the occasional person that asks me if I am "a cop" that I get to tell no, and then get to tell them it is perfect for any person who is not crazy, and not a felon.

schm00g13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    "The suspect is described as an African American male, in his early 20’s, of a thin build, with a beard. He was said to be wearing a black, hooded sweatshirt, red shirt, dark pants, and grey/orange tennis shoes."
    At least he wasn't wearing a hoodie.

Top Bottom